Build Thread A 1984 Black CJ7 Build - My never ending project/addiction

diddy2003

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7
35x12.5x15 MTRs;
YJ 4 inch Skyjacker lift w/ Bilsteins;
rebuilt AMC 360, Patriot Headers, Holley Truck Avenger 670 CFM, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Flexalite Electric Fan; Griffin Aluminum Radiator, Dual Flowmaster Delta Flow 40s;
Dana 30 4.10s w/ Detroit Truetrac;
Dana 60-2 Narrowed, 11 inch Ford Drum Brakes, 4.10s Power-Lok LSD; T-176; Dana 300 LoMax 4:1 Twin-Stick; Navajo Power Brake Booster
This is what I picked up. This is the ebay listing from when the guy bought the jeep in 12/07. He has since rebuilt the transmission, did all new brake lines and cables, and did some other stuff. I am going to fix the rot when I get the jeep. Minor and he has the metal. Its only going to cost me 300 bucks to fix it and paint the hood, which has some peeling. The rot is right under the driver door. The rest of the metal is good. The Jeep started right up and it has a current inspection sticker. The guy was driving it up until about November, when he bought a newer wrangler. Frame is good too. The only blemish on the body is the rot.

scan0001-5.jpg

scan0003-3.jpg

scan0004-1.jpg

scan0005-1.jpg

The jeep does not come with the plow. This is how it looks. Has about 84k on it now.

2011-04-23_09-13-56_265.jpg

2011-04-23_09-13-46_12.jpg

2011-04-23_09-13-21_441.jpg

This is my first post. So what do you guys think? I paid 1500 for it.

The rear of the frame looked good, along with the shackles. Just some surface rust, but it is minimal.

The plow isn't on the jeep. The seller kept it. I didn't want it anyway so no big deal. He does have half doors I am taking. They are blue so they also need some paint. My friend sold me some goodyear wrangler AT/S(P) in 31x10.5. They have 1500 miles on them and I am getting them cheap. Probably 200 bucks. I thought that was a good price.

Nice looking forum you guys have. I look forward to checking out all the Jeeps you guys have. :chug:

Re: My New to me '84 CJ7. First Jeep and first post too.

Hey buddy welcome to the Jeep side. I am the moderator on BoRn and saw your post on Joes thread about selling his Jeep. Have fun with it. Jeeps are as bad a bikes for being an addiction.

Hey buddy welcome to the Jeep side. I am the moderator on BoRn and saw your post on Joes thread about selling his Jeep. Have fun with it. Jeeps are as bad a bikes for being an addiction.

Thanks man and nice avatar pic. Looks like turn 6. I did a few penguin schools up in NH. Fun times. I just hope the Jeep is as good as it looked when I checked it out. Its my first Jeep, and I am excited, but I am praying I am not about to open a massive can of worms, hahaha.

FOR 1500 you stole it!

Thanks man. I am fired up to pick it up. The owner's father died and he needed it gone. I guess thats why he let it go for that price. He paid much more for it, and put some money in to it, so I think I did pretty well price wise. :chug:

It looks like you made a really good deal. I'm sure you'll find numerous other "projects" in addition to the rot, but hopefully all the hard/expensive stuff is done -- and you can work on those things while you still use and enjoy it.

Congrats on joining the site and on the new jeep, pretty sharp looking. I would hold on to that snow plow may need it next winter to shovel driveways lol.

Congrats on joining the site and on the new jeep, pretty sharp looking. I would hold on to that snow plow may need it next winter to shovel driveways lol.

The owner is keeping it so I don't even have the option, haha. It definitely would have come in handy in New England too, but it is what it is. Looks like I will be picking the Jeep up next week instead of this weekend because the owner was unable to take the plow off due to lack of time. No big deal, but I would like to get working on that rot.

It looks like you made a really good deal. I'm sure you'll find numerous other "projects" in addition to the rot, but hopefully all the hard/expensive stuff is done -- and you can work on those things while you still use and enjoy it.

Thanks. The rot does not appear to be too bad, and only in one spot, but it goes right to the embossed Jeep logo. Is there any place I can get a replacement Jeep logo to weld in? I was looking at some websites but i haven't found anything. The steel replacement part going on does not have the logo on it.

I hope this Jeep is as nice as my buddy, who has been wrenching on Jeeps for 30 years, thinks it is. If it is, its a home run. If not, well, things could get interesting, and by interesting I mean EXPENSIVE, haha.

:ww:

And sweeet deal and jeep man!

Let the fun start!

Cheers! :chug:

~ JR

:ww:

And sweeet deal and jeep man!

Let the fun start!

Cheers! :chug:

~ JR

Thanks. Looks like I won't be picking it up until next week sometime. The seller has not had a chance to pull the plow yet. He also needs to get all this parts in order, that I am also taking with a few buddies of mine. He has a few sets of axles, rear ends, and some other stuff that we are getting for 200 bucks.

Last edited:

About the only way to get the logo is to find a rotted body and cut it up.

About the only way to get the logo is to find a rotted body and cut it up.

That's what I kind of figured after trying to search for one. Oh well, looks like I will more than likely now have only one Jeep logo. I guess I will be buying a Jeep decal instead. That would be a much cheaper option, haha. Thanks. :chug:

Make yourself a template and spay it back on... Won't be embossed, but still will look good from afar :)

Most of them i have been seeing are painted up anyways after a pain job has been done...

Thanks what i would do, but I am pretty "ghetto" like that...:cool:

Or like CJ said, find one somewhere to cut out / weld in...

:chug:

I found replacement steel with the Jeep logo embossed here:
Classic Enterprises - Restoration, Reproduction Parts for Studebaker, Jeep & Ford

jeepstampedsidepanel2_002.jpg

They also sell just the Jeep logo:
jeepstampedsidepanelclip_002.jpg

Bought a whole new side panel today from them. Nice guys. It ships on Tues. :chug:

Great find! I knew they sold the panels, just didn't know they sold them with the Jeep embossed for 76 and up!

Great find! I knew they sold the panels, just didn't know they sold them with the Jeep embossed for 76 and up!

Thanks! I was really pumped when I found the site. A buddy of mine, a lieutenant on my job, actually was the one that found the site. I told him what I had been looking for and he did me a big favor by finding the panel that I wanted. I had a blank steel panel, but I just didn't like that I would be loosing the logo. Really nice guys and it seems like a small shop from talking to them on the phone.

Now I have to decide on what I want to do for graphics. I don't want an all plain black jeep. That would be boring. I was kind of thinking about doing some original style Renegade or Laredo graphics.

Jeep Decal / Stripe Kits ( Body )

Here is how it looks after body work and re-paint. The wheels have been painted too. New seats will be in it this week.

2011-08-01_10-25-16_677.jpg

Really Nice!!!:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks