Build Thread A 1984 Black CJ7 Build - My never ending project/addiction

Build Thread A 1984 Black CJ7 Build - My never ending project/addiction
Welcome to the forum and to the life of Jeeping. Great find on the CJ! This place is awesome and a wealth of knowledge. Look forward to seeing where you go with yours.

Thanks, but not much to do with it now. I bought it, and started this thread, in 2011 👍🏼 I’m sure I will do more things in the future, as stuff breaks, like with the AMC20, but I’m good for a while now.

Man I remember thinking how beautiful your Jeep was when you bought it and how beautiful it still is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I remember thinking how beautiful your Jeep was when you bought it and how beautiful it still is

Thank you. It’s definitely been a fun project. It’s great to drive now, but there are some things I need to do at some point. The gas tank skid plate has seen better days and I want to change out the fuel pick up/float in the tank. I think it’s bad. It’s a 21 gallon tank, and the Jeep simply doesn’t run right when I get down to about a half tank 🤷🏼‍♂️ It becomes starved for fuel. One of these days I will fix it.

Awesome Jeep and love the black! Definitely stealing some ideas from you.

Just got mine a few weeks ago. A Cali jeep, 44k miles, with no rust and all original. AMC 304, Dana 30 front, AMC20 rear, T-18 4 speed with granny gear, Detriot lockers.

Looks rough but all cosmetic. Just ordered Skyjacker 4" and hoping to get in a body shop in the next few months. Manifold pics are before and after.

Attachments

• IMG_E1227.JPG
    IMG_E1227.JPG
    755.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Original 1.JPG
    Original 1.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1358.JPG
    IMG_1358.JPG
    362.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1405.JPG
    IMG_1405.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 11
Awesome Jeep and love the black! Definitely stealing some ideas from you.

Just got mine a few weeks ago. A Cali jeep, 44k miles, with no rust and all original. AMC 304, Dana 30 front, AMC20 rear, T-18 4 speed with granny gear, Detriot lockers.

Looks rough but all cosmetic. Just ordered Skyjacker 4" and hoping to get in a body shop in the next few months. Manifold pics are before and after.
Looks great. Good luck with the build! Here are some more recent pics from the day I got it inspected. A few things on the list of stuff to do coming up soon: new voltage regulator/alternator, gas tank skid plate to replace the rusty one, and new fuel pickup in the tank.

09C9DE01-E7D6-47E6-900B-ED77AC34706B.jpeg5A89B2CA-6D0D-487E-8C96-77EC3979976D.jpegB516BB80-2FEC-4829-A640-20567A12785B.jpegC5741151-21BF-45F8-A990-E2B9D803CF33.jpeg
F82EF906-B7FD-41A9-947F-A9E888A1CC9B.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice. Did you use Por 15 on your jeep? Happy with result?

Very nice. Did you use Por 15 on your jeep? Happy with result?
I used it on the frame when it was re-done. It seems to be nice, but the Jeep is parked in the garage a lot, so I’m not so sure I’m a great test of the product. I also believe the inside of the tub was done, but I can’t remember anymore.

I used it on the frame when it was re-done. It seems to be nice, but the Jeep is parked in the garage a lot, so I’m not so sure I’m a great test of the product. I also believe the inside of the tub was done, but I can’t remember anymore.
10-4. I plan to have underneath blasted then use Por 15. It will be garaged too. Few additional questions for you:

Do you like your seats?

What air cleaner cover do you have? Really like the black.

Do you plan on installing the factory rocker moldings or any decal kits?

Also, what kind of headers do you have?

10-4. I plan to have underneath blasted then use Por 15. It will be garaged too. Few additional questions for you:

Do you like your seats?

What air cleaner cover do you have? Really like the black.

Do you plan on installing the factory rocker moldings or any decal kits?
The seats are great. I’m very happy with them. Very comfortable and seem to be holding up very well.

I completely forget the brand/model of air cleaner. Sorry.

I like the all black look, so no rocker moldings or stickers.

They are patriot headers. I believe these are them:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI57iuirvP8gIVxdrICh3J7g-mEAQYAiABEgKlBfD_BwE

Really like those headers. I am going to get mine running like stock for now but planning to do performance upgrades after paint and body are done. Wish mine was a 360 but I think the stock 304 will do fine after the upgrades.

Really like those headers. I am going to get mine running like stock for now but planning to do performance upgrades after paint and body are done. Wish mine was a 360 but I think the stock 304 will do fine after the upgrades.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm sure you will get good power out of it. My 360 had been rebuilt prior to me buying it. I'm sure its .30 over ish, but I really don't know. I know it has a nice cam, because it revs very freely. It even has a nice lump at idle. I did some oil mods when I got it. And then added the electric fan, griffin radiator, Holley 670 truck avenger, aluminum intake, headers, no cats, flow masters, K&N, and HEI. I'm probably forgetting some things. I don't even know what it has for power, but its very healthy. The Jeep flies, I just wish I had a fifth gear.

I'm sure you will get good power out of it. My 360 had been rebuilt prior to me buying it. I'm sure its .30 over ish, but I really don't know. I know it has a nice cam, because it revs very freely. It even has a nice lump at idle. I did some oil mods when I got it. And then added the electric fan, griffin radiator, Holley 670 truck avenger, aluminum intake, headers, no cats, flow masters, K&N, and HEI. I'm probably forgetting some things. I don't even know what it has for power, but its very healthy. The Jeep flies, I just wish I had a fifth gear.
That video is awesome. I hope to dive into the performance stuff late next year. I thought it would be a cool project with my Dad to rebuild the engine. I heard for the 304, the Holley 470 truck avenger would be good.

What kind of Flow Masters are you running?

They are Delta Flow 40s.
https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/mufflers/street_chambered_mufflers/40_series_delta_flow/

They are Delta Flow 40s.
https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/mufflers/street_chambered_mufflers/40_series_delta_flow/

Sounds great. I'm thinking of the 40 series or the FlowFX. The FlowFX are pretty new and seem to have a deeper roar base on other trucks I've heard.

Wish they made those bumpers you have in chrome or polished stainless steel.

Looks great. Good luck with the build! Here are some more recent pics from the day I got it inspected. A few things on the list of stuff to do coming up soon: new voltage regulator/alternator, gas tank skid plate to replace the rusty one, and new fuel pickup in the tank.

View attachment 74919View attachment 74920View attachment 74921View attachment 74922
View attachment 74923

The big question is how did you get it on top of the dam/walk way? I would think someone in Ashfield would flip!

The big question is how did you get it on top of the dam/walk way? I would think someone in Ashfield would flip!

Good eye. My bud owns the property, so I had to take advantage of it 👍🏼

Good deal, glad he doesn’t seem to mind me casting a line there every now and then. Just my two feet and no trash. The way it should be. Nice pond with nice shore access.

Is your roll cage cover more of a leathered finish or denim finish?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom