Build Thread 84 CJ7 coming full circle

Build Thread 84 CJ7 coming full circle
Interesting thread. Thanks-from another small block Chevy junky. Currently have the rotating assembly for a 4.125 x 4.125 version out for balancing but suspect it will take most of the summer to get it all assembled.

Thanks for taking the time to read, duffer. Wow, 4.125 stroke... I couldn't even imagine trying to get that much crank into a small block. What block are you using? 441 cubic inches will sure be lots of fun! Please post a build thread of it when you do. I'd love to see this one. I was hoping when I initially built my 402 that I would be racing... Now it'll just be overkill. Oh well, at least it's cool lol.

Spent a little time in the garage today. Got cut shorter than I had planned because I had bathroom cleaning duty on tr honey-do list. Then, I guess it seemed like the thing to do at the time to knock a hole in the wall with the doorknob while I was taking out the trash... Missed the first step coming back inside from the garage, tripped up, when head first into the door, then heard the "bang"... Whoops. What chapped my hide was the fact that the wife at first seemed much more concerned about a little hole in the wall than making sure all my limbs were still intact. Oh well. Lol.

Anyway, I put the frame together for one new fender, and mocked up the skin. I think it's looking pretty good, but I won't post up any pics until I at least finish one the way I want it. But I will let you know that I am going for a cross between old Willys pickup and old school Power Wagon. Picture a mix between these two:
willys-jeep-truck_6461f.jpg

PowerWagon-1-01.jpg

Here's the other pic- could only get one to attach...

What block are you using?

This is a one time deal so while I didn't pull all the stops, I did pull most of them.

13152210663_6a23a236b6_b.jpg

This block can still go to .060 over at which point one would have a 454 but I like as much cylinder wall as I can get. When I actually get to assembly, I may start a thread. I have found at least one can of worms before I even get to that point. Going to be interesting for sure.

This is a one time deal so while I didn't pull all the stops, I did pull most of them.

13152210663_6a23a236b6_b.jpg

This block can still go to .060 over at which point one would have a 454 but I like as much cylinder wall as I can get. When I actually get to assembly, I may start a thread. I have found at least one can of worms before I even get to that point. Going to be interesting for sure.

Oh, wow...That's a work of art. I was wondering/thinking it was an aftermarket block. Am I reading 9.325 on there? is that the deck height? If so, how are you getting around that? I've never looked that deep into aftermarket blocks and associated parts...I've never built a SBC in need of one.

I'm loving the splayed billet caps and threaded bosses for plugs...Man, now I have to keep reminding myself -- I'm NOT doing racing anymore.... I'm jealous, that's for sure. :chug:

Am I reading 9.325 on there? is that the deck height? If so, how are you getting around that?
Yes, 9.325 deck and raised cam. I have Dart's aluminum intake manifold spacers for it. I'm sure I will need to do some milling on those to get the ports aligned. Thanks to GM's rocket block, you can actually buy manifolds for a 9.325" deck, just none for the EFI I want on it.

I don't think there is any realistic way to get more than a 4.0" stroke in a stock deck block. There would be some awful short pistons and a tiny diameter cam shaft.

The longest stroke I was thinking about putting in my block was 3.875. I didn't have the budget to do it, much less consider building a 434. The combo I've got now already has some rather short pistons. It's still 3.75 stroke, but has 6" rods and a piston compression height of 1.13. I didn't realize until I had them in my hand how short that height was.

That's a shame about not having the manifold you're looking for. I'd love to go efi on mine, but I've got to stay focused on one thing at a time. I keep finding myself getting easily distracted with "little" side-projects.

Alright… I'm posting up here for y'all to see the progress on my new fenders. I've only done one so far, and I haven't even fully finished it yet. Just posting up some progress, because there are quite a few pictures, and I figured someone might like to see what I've got going on here. So here goes.

I started with cutting a piece of 1x1x1/8" angle to mount to the tub:
image_zpseccfa08d.jpg

Then I formed a frame using 1/4 round. Not having a roller, I formed it by gently bending a constant radius into a length of it around my tire (this way it stayed pretty perfectly round) until I found the radius that I liked.

image_zps0a3cfae7.jpg

image_zps70a0acb2.jpg

image_zps37bfe8e1.jpg

image_zpseff3e947.jpg

image_zps02f9ad9e.jpg

After I had the frame formed, I removed it from the tub and stretched fleece over the frame and secured it with bulldog clips…I know, stick with me…

image_zpse34423c0.jpg

image_zpsd11232c7.jpg

image_zps66f79292.jpg

At this point, I'm nearly happy with the shape of them. I just sometimes kind of wish there was a little bit more of a "lip" at the edge of the fender, but it's growing on me. What I wasn't happy with was the angular look at the back. It didn't quite come out right there what I was visioning when I was making the frame. That, and the pictures don't quite show the fender how it appears in person. It's hard to step back and take a good perspective picture in a single car garage with this fat girl taking up most of it. :roll eyes:

Anyway, after I removed the back piece of 1/4" round and re-stretched the fleece over it, I hung it from the garage door and started applying fiberglass resin.

image_zpsedf7c990.jpg

I didn't really take too many pictures there, because I was getting frustrated quickly with how the progress was moving. It had been about 8 years since my last experience working with fiberglass, or doing fiberglass-like work. After I had already gotten started, I learned quickly what my mistakes were:

1) I hung the fender from a single strand from above -- this allowed it to literally twist in the breeze… incredibly frustrating when one hand is holding my container of mixed fiberglass resin, and the other hand is holding either a brush or roller.

2) I hung it vertically…did I mention this already? :mad: This made it incredibly difficult to apply the resin.

3) I think I may had mixed too much hardener into the resin, because twice my mixture started gelling up before I was finished applying it.

Because of these difficulties and frustrations, I only covered about half the fender. I was almost afraid at this point I was going to have to trash it and start over.

Today, I was able to (nearly) finish the fender. This time, I just laid it on the tailgate of my truck. I was afraid I might make a mess there, but I do have plans for either next weekend or the following weekend to roll in a bed liner. Anyway, I have the fender about fully covered, and it has hardened up and is pretty darn rigid.

image_zpsbe89e407.jpg

image_zps63b756dd.jpg

image_zps236a71c0.jpg

image_zpsbf5851ad.jpg

image_zpsf2a8e75b.jpg

image_zpsa4069dc1.jpg

image_zpsf0fea156.jpg

Now, as stated -- it's not finished, obviously. I just wanted to show the basic shape, and get opinions. I still need to trim the edges where you can see some material hanging down, then dress the edges probably with some short strand fiberglass filler. They need fully sanded, then painted.

Now, I'd like to get your opinions -- good, bad, indifferent. Don't worry, you won't hurt my feelings. When I'm standing there in the garage looking at this fender, I like it -- I like the shape, I like the lines, I like the way it "fits." Oddly, the pictures make me not so crazy about it, but again -- it's really hard to stand back and get a good perspective photo in a single car garage. I asked my buddy in NC what he thought, and he said "they look decent" and "at least you don't see them while you're driving!" so I'll take that as he's not really crazy about them. Which is fine, anyway…It really only matters what I think about them, but I'd like to collect a common consensus. So what say the people of Jeep CJ? Lets hear it!

...Now, I'd like to get your opinions -- good, bad, indifferent...

Great build thread so far. I'm not usually into mega fenders on CJs, but if you need to cover full size axles, those look like the most stylish option I've seen.

What do you plan to do to reinforce them? They seem like they'll break at the slightest glance of a tree branch?

It really only matters what I think about them, but I'd like to collect a common consensus. So what say the people of Jeep CJ? Lets hear it!
I agree it only matters what you think it's your Jeep do what you want. I have really never liked the flat fender look. You can get bigger flares that I think look much better but I applaud you on your creativity.
Great build thread so far. I'm not usually into mega fenders on CJs, but if you need to cover full size axles, those look like the most stylish option I've seen.

What do you plan to do to reinforce them? They seem like they'll break at the slightest glance of a tree branch?
I think this is a good point I think it would be easy to break them on a tough tight trail.

Trust me -- I'm not into the mega fenders look either. This was the only way I could think of to make it not quite appear to have airplane wings ready to take off while going down the road. I know, they're still wide, but I needed some sort of fender to be about 8" wider. Thank you for the compliment, though. I don't think they look too bad. Once I get some sanding/painting done, I'm hoping they will look like they (almost) belong.

I've been considering some sort of reinforcement. Kind of difficult due to their size. They are surprisingly rigid, though. I almost feel like I can stand on them. The only reason I wouldn't is the current lack of an inner fender…that does detract from any structural stability.

The other thing I have been trying to work out logistically is in the event I was expecting some tough trail use would be to remove them altogether. I know, that would defeat the whole purpose of making them, but my purpose there was for street legality. If I was expecting some difficult trail use and potential carnage, I would likely trailer it to and from.

I agree it only matters what you think it's your Jeep do what you want. I have really never liked the flat fender look. You can get bigger flares that I think look much better but I applaud you on your creativity.

I think this is a good point I think it would be easy to break them on a tough tight trail.

Thanks for the kudos. I'm not into the flat fenders either. I have seen some other custom "Power Wagon Style" fenders on CJ's, and I think they look great. The problem there is I am trying to do this on the smallest budget possible. I would love to build some, similar to two different builds I saw over on PBB, but I don't have the tools at home to do it (i.e. tube bender/roller, notcher, etc). I've got access to endless tooling at work, but last year they shut down any personal use of all shop equipment… :mad: Fortunately, they will still let us buy steel or other materials, so that helps. I've got $8 in steel from work to cover all four corners, about $4 in fabric, and the most expensive part by far was the gallon (so far…) or fiberglass resin from Lowes ($15 for the first quart that I've already gone through, plus $35 for the gallon I got to hopefully cover the rest). So for a little over $60, I'm hoping to have some decent looking tire coverage.

I'd love to do something more narrow, have a little more aggressive look with the tires sticking out several inches, but PA has some ridiculous tire coverage laws…and they are regularly enforced. Flares that I've seen online are at widest (that I know of, anyway) 5". As previously stated, I needed 8" to cover my tires. I did see one set of relatively cheap 7" flares on eBay, but they looked like they would be flimsy…and not that great looking IMHO.

Thanks for the comments, y'all. Keep them coming if you have them! :chug:

good looking jeep you have! Maybe you can answer a question for me. I am trying to get my 84 to start. Have replaced selenoid, ICM, ignition switch, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, coil connector...getting spark to coil and plugs...won't start...turns over strong but no start...when I turn key to run position it turns over but won't start however,...when I turn key back to start position, it acts like it wants to start then. I don't think that's right...help if you can...I haven't replaced the distributer.
carburetor good, and fuel pump good. I am new to this mechanic job. I am also new to this posting thing. so far I've been unsuccessful in posting my questions. Please email me (spencer151@hotmail.com) with a number I can call and talk to you at if you don't mind (if you can help), just in case I don't get your reply on this forum. thanks a million. Charity

good looking jeep you have! Maybe you can answer a question for me. I am trying to get my 84 to start. Have replaced selenoid, ICM, ignition switch, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, coil connector...getting spark to coil and plugs...won't start...turns over strong but no start...when I turn key to run position it turns over but won't start however,...when I turn key back to start position, it acts like it wants to start then. I don't think that's right...help if you can...I haven't replaced the distributer.
carburetor good, and fuel pump good. I am new to this mechanic job. I am also new to this posting thing. so far I've been unsuccessful in posting my questions. Please email me (spencer151@hotmail.com) with a number I can call and talk to you at if you don't mind (if you can help), just in case I don't get your reply on this forum. thanks a million. Charity

Read more: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/84-cj7-coming-full-circle-17705/index8.html#ixzz39ILowS00

Been playing in the garage a little more this weekend. My steering box had been acting up a little, binding a little and leaking from every seal. So I decided to take it apart and investigate the binding before I get a seal kit for it. Wow, there's a lot of parts in these little guys...

image_zpsc9acfbd7.jpg

After fooling with it for a while, it's back together, turning smooth as glass, able to spin the input shaft by hand again. Now I've just got to pull the sector shaft again to reseal it. That and the input shaft seal. But here it is again reassembled. Don't really have pics of the tear down and rebuild, but I can get some when I reseal it, if anyone is interested. Here it is complete and clean again.

image_zpse896bc75.jpg

Would ya look at that... Found a couple extra holes in the side. Those could come in handy. :cool:

Been working on this whenever I have the time, which has been a little sparse lately. I pulled my D300 to reseal it and clean it up. Wasn't too bad coming out, just really nasty due to leaking output yoke seals.

While I had it out, I re drilled my adapter to have some clocking options.

Here it is cleaned up.
image_zps2075f0a3.jpg

Putting it back in and bolting it back to the transmission by myself nearly killed me lol. I mean, the D300 isn't THAT heavy, but to lift it to face level, hold it steady, line up the trans output, and not pinch the seals seating it to bolt up... Yeah, it was kinda tough.

image_zps383b2b38.jpg

Oh, Lawdy, he done stuck that back in there upside down! What that crazy redneck gon' do now?
:D don't worry... There's a method behind the madness...

So why am I flipping the transfer case? Well, I'm wanting to lower the suspension more. In fact, even though I already have lowered it some, I already was running into interference issues between my front driveshaft and the trans pan on my TH350. So, instead of running a 2-piece front driveshaft (which just might be the easier option... Lol but I'm into doing things the hard way) I decided to flip the transfer case. I've just about finished the next phase of this part of the build, and hopefully (weather permitting) I'll be able to finish it up tomorrow. Last time in the garage, it was 12 degrees outside. I had on two coats, two pairs of gloves, two pairs of jeans... I was good until my feet began to freeze. That was painful. Anyway, if I finish it, or close enough to show what's going on, I'll fill in some more details here.

Maybe I'll start with a teaser pic... :cool:

image_zps131079a5.jpg

Glad to see your still after it. So its lower and your narrowing the axles. So we'll be able to drive out to Rausch Creek legal and all? :D

Glad to see your still after it. So its lower and your narrowing the axles. So we'll be able to drive out to Rausch Creek legal and all? :D

:cool: You know, seeing what's going on in this brain-housing-group of mine is kind of a scary place...:D just saying! Good guess! We'll see what happens tomorrow in the garage :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom