Build Thread 78 CJ7 Slow but Steady Build

Build Thread 78 CJ7 Slow but Steady Build
CCJ,

I've got a set of OEM YJ springs just lying around here. I'm not going to use them. Let me know if you're interested.
Just pay for shipping and they're yours.
Nice... :chug: :tu:

CCJ,

I've got a set of OEM YJ springs just lying around here. I'm not going to use them. Let me know if you're interested.
Just pay for shipping and they're yours.
Thanks! I’ll take you up in that and appreciate the offer.

You bet! Gotta be a way to private message you, somehow. Admin help?

Gotcha. Thanks CJ! Conversation started, I think.

So I have decided to chill the F out. I do plan to go SOA but not right now. I just want to build this thing, get it on the road and not piece together a whole suspension. So I am looking at doing a BDS 3.5" YJ Spring Conversion Kit with the heavy duty springs. My question is is it worth getting the BDS 1 3/8" lift shackles, or going with the 0/5" lift shackles and adding a 1" BL. I am going to run front and rear Dana 44 from a '70s Wagoneer and am wanting to run 35" tires. I haven't ever run a BL before on any of my past Jeeps. I haven't been a fan but here I am 10 years later since my last Jeep. This Jeep is going to be a street queen with some trail action a few times a year. I think the worst it will see are light to moderate rocks when in West Texas and the Texas Hill Country. I am not super worries about stuffing 35" tires and messing up my body. Overall I am overbuilding this Jeep and like the look of 35s.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
I run 35" tires with a 4' suspension left and no body lift. So since the YJ springs will provide 3.5", I would add the extra height with the longer shackles. I had a CJ with a body lift before and didn't like it. I had to alter the linkage for the clutch (I didn't have a hydraulic setup), didn't like the extension of my steering shaft, and my radiator fan was no longer centered in the shroud (shroud and rad on body, fan on unmoved engine). Obviously all can be dealt with and many people do. But I prefer the suspension lift route and normal body mount bushings.

I run 35" tires with a 4' suspension left and no body lift. So since the YJ springs will provide 3.5", I would add the extra height with the longer shackles. I had a CJ with a body lift before and didn't like it. I had to alter the linkage for the clutch (I didn't have a hydraulic setup), didn't like the extension of my steering shaft, and my radiator fan was no longer centered in the shroud (shroud and rad on body, fan on unmoved engine). Obviously all can be dealt with and many people do. But I prefer the suspension lift route and normal body mount bushings.
Thanks! Looks like your just "up the road" from me". I'm in Houston. Always could use some extra hands with some experience since I have next to none lol

I figured I would start uploading pictures to document this build. Last July I bought a 1978 Jeep CJ7. This is my third CJ and I have had one TJ. I was looking for a project and let me tell you, I found a project that is living up to Just Empty Every Pocket. I honestly want to rename this build to Project F*** It because that's what it has become. I have always wanted to do a total rebuild of a CJ and that is, more or less, what I was looking to do. I wanted something that I could build and make my own. I found this CJ and for whatever reason it just spoke to me. I had looked at a bunch but this one was screaming SAVE ME! So being the dumbass that I am, I decided to be its savior.

The Jeep was delivered on a Friday at 1:30 AM on the back of a flatbed trailer by a really wonderful couple that hot shots together. My wife was outside with me and we tried to crank it to get it off the trailer but it was no go. It wouldn't start which ended up being both a good thing and a near fatal thing. Why it was good is because the exhaust and headers were rotten so it was loud as f*** and would have woken the neighbors for sure. The near fatal reason because yours truly had to climb in to it while the wonderful hot shot couple pushed the Jeep and I off the trailer. Not fun. I 100% recommend not doing that.

Here's ole F*** It as a I bought her:

1978 Jeep CJ7
Levi Edition Edition
AMC 304
T18
AMC20
Dana 30

IMG_2039.JPG

On the trailer

View attachment d1e03210ee0c4627892f7257b4afeb52.mp4

And after a few lap around the neighborhood

View attachment IMG_2295.MOV

Did I mention it didn't , and still doesn't, have a gas tank. Well nope it didn't/doesn't. Bad girl was running off a 5 gallon red can up front. More fun times staying classy.

Well that video above was the last time anyone ever saw it running. I got to tearing it down pretty quickly. As quickly as one can with a 12 month old, so really pretty slowly. :punk:

Anywho, the interior was all bedliner and I am not the biggest fan of bedliner. It's fine for a ranch Jeep but this adoptive Father is looking to bring it to a new life so I started stripping that out first. Citrus Strip and a large plastic tarp worked wonders on this thing and I highly recommend it for those looking to strip bedliner. Generously lay it on with a paint brush and put the tarp on top and press it into the gel. I let it sit for a day and would pull the tarp off and the liner would come with it. For what didn't come up, I used a spackle knife. Very easy. Boy oh boy did I find some fun stuff under that bedliner. Holes, rust and some good ole rot. Great fun. It was at this point I looked at my bank account again and re-did my budget.

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_3100.jpg

It was around this time I figured I would check the VIN to see what this money pit is. I found that it is a Levi Edition Edition with tan interior, T-150, AMC 304. I have always like the Levi Edition Edition a lot, so I was thrilled with this unexpected surprise. Also found that at some point the T-150 was removed and replaced with a T-18 with a 6.32:1 1st gear which I am very happy about. Crawl baby crawl.

Skipping ahead, I kept dissecting this thing and finally got the body off and the engine pulled.

IMG_4065.jpg

and the original AMC 304 fully rebuilt. I also have a Holley Sniper EFI kit for it.

IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_4355.jpg

I then had the body and all the parts media blasted

View attachment cdf8188fb00a409cb6d30a14fb6bd7bf.mp4

Then last week after work I primed everything in my garage which was not fun at all and I hope to never do it again until I have a dedicated space and a rotisserie.

IMG_4434.jpg
It was at this point where I deleted my budget and renamed it to Project F**k It.

As of today, the body is at the body shop getting sorted and I am moving on to the frame.

I am taking this one step at a time. I am learning as a I go and letting the Jeep tell me what it wants to be as we go along. What I do know is that it is going back to a Levi Edition Edition with tan interior. So far, I have pretty much all of the interior tan Levi Edition pieces except the front seats which I am on the hunt for.

I am going to try to be better about uploading photos as I go along in real time so I can get better advice and feedback. Looking forward to seeing where this takes me and what the finished product looks like. :chug:

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Glad you are saving it. Once finished, well running and driving, because they are never finished, you will have a nice one.

Thanks! Looks like your just "up the road" from me". I'm in Houston. Always could use some extra hands with some experience since I have next to none lol
Yep. I'm in Cut-n-Shoot east of Conroe.

Man thats sweet, great combo, i will enjoy watching this one come together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you are saving it. Once finished, well running and driving, because they are never finished, you will have a nice one.
I am too. Every shop I talked to told me I am better off scrapping the tub and buying a replacement tub. I am strongly against aftermarket tubs but that's just me. I think the end result of the tub will be well worth it. This Jeep has lived for 45 years and I want to give it another 45 years to the best of my ability.

Update time.

I found a great body shop here in Houston to take my body and all the parts to get them back in shape. Here are some pictures of the Jeep right after it was media blasted and before I sprayed primer.

IMG_4405.jpgIMG_4410.jpg
IMG_4411.jpg
IMG_4414.jpgIMG_4415.jpg
IMG_4419.jpg
IMG_4422.jpg
IMG_4425.jpg

And here is where we are today so far. Keeping all of the original metal. Using lots of blocking, sanding and seam sealer to get it done. Our worry was that if we cut out a panel the whole Jeep would just warp and implode so this was the only route that really made any sense. The Jeep is an H Code with the original 304 so there is a rare aspect to it and with it being a Levi Edition, again I am adamant on saving it. Just no fording rivers or it may melt LOL. The only thing getting replaced is the rear floor with a replacement from Classic Enterprises which comes in next week.

IMG_4636.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg
IMG_4638.jpg

IMG_4640.jpgIMG_4641.jpg

IMG_4642.jpg

IMG_4643.jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_4648.jpg

Actually come to think of it I bought an Omix Ada tailgate since mine was going to be too much of a project. Buying it made me cringe.

Also got a replacement front crossmember in today from Throttle Down Kustoms and got a twin stick kit from JB Fabrication. Will be tearing down the drivetrain and stripping the frame in two weeks.

This TDK Crossmember is stout!!!

IMG_4674.jpg

I will post pics of all the Levi Edition interior pieces I have gotten so far. Pretty excited about them all. Going to check on progress at the body shop on Friday.

March 18th I have friends coming over to help remove the axels, transfer case, transmission etc from the frame. Going to power wash the interior/exterior, weld in the new crossmember and use Eastwood Frame paint inside and outside. Also got my hands on front and rear Dana 44s from an FSJ that I will pick up in April. Hopefully I can get all that done relatively quick and start putting it all back together. I would love to drive this thing in late-Fall.

I have a question for the group. I can buy a set of:

1. Front & Rear Dana 44 off a Scout 2
2. Front & Rear Dana 44 off a Wagoneer
3. Front Dana 44 & Rear Dana 60-2 off a 70-72 Jeep J-4000

The 60 is a lot of axle and with 35s I may be digging a trench behind me. All of the options will need work but they are priced super fair so not worried about putting money in to them.

What is the best option?

Thats a deep rabbit hole….

The scout 44 has been a popular swap because its narrower than the wagoneer

The wagoneer has a 6 lug pattern

Stock jeeps have fairly narrow axles and

Full size axles will stick pretty far out on a CJ and could get you a ticket in some places, you would also have to do spring relocation to keep full width axles do to pumpkin location

I went with a set of Dodge axles that came from my old 84 truck that netted me flat top knuckles, i narrowed mine 7 inches myself and bought moser axle shafts during the build, i looked the other day and the circle track kit i bought for my rear is up to $900 now

And as usual everything depends on what you want to do with your jeep and how much you can afford

Lockers and cromo shafts get expensive quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks