Build Thread 78 CJ7 Slow but Steady Build

Build Thread 78 CJ7 Slow but Steady Build

ClutchCityCJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
‘78 CJ7, 304, T18, D20, AMC 20, D30
It's time to purchase a suspension kit. I am leaning towards the BDS 3.5" with YJ springs. Reading through post after post on various forums it seems the BDS gets the best reviews. Originally, I was leaning towards a RE 4.5" kit but they seem to get mixed reviews.

I have my body off the frame which rewards me the opportunity to take my time and do this RIGHT. I want to do this once and hopefully not have to mess with it again but we all know that's never the case.

I plan on running 35" tires and the Jeep will be mostly used as a second vehicle on the city streets with some highway miles. Long distances it will get towed but I am sure I will hop in and drive it up to 4 hours on the highway here and there. It will get used on trails but no rock crawling. Our old YJ with 33's did fine but I just always felt that 35s would be more helpful in our terrain.

Quite honestly, I am overwhelmed with all the information out there. Different size shackles, reverse shackles, this, that and the next so I am turning to you all again for guidance.

Current set up is:
AMC 304
Dana 20
T18 w/ 6.32:1 1st gear
3.52 gears
AMC20
Dana 30

I do plan to do a one piece conversion and weld the seam on my AMC20. I do plan to not f*** with the Dana 30 until it breaks and at that point I will go bigger. I know what everyone is going to say but I just am not going to spend the money to replace it right now when I don't plan on putting myself in a position, any time soon, where I could break it. But if I do, I will replace it.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_2039.JPG
    IMG_2039.JPG
    385.7 KB · Views: 16,551
It's time to purchase a suspension kit. I am leaning towards the BDS 3.5" with YJ springs. Reading through post after post on various forums it seems the BDS gets the best reviews. Originally, I was leaning towards a RE 4.5" kit but they seem to get mixed reviews.

I have my body off the frame which rewards me the opportunity to take my time and do this RIGHT. I want to do this once and hopefully not have to mess with it again but we all know that's never the case.

I plan on running 35" tires and the Jeep will be mostly used as a second vehicle on the city streets with some highway miles. Long distances it will get towed but I am sure I will hop in and drive it up to 4 hours on the highway here and there. It will get used on trails but no rock crawling. Our old YJ with 33's did fine but I just always felt that 35s would be more helpful in our terrain.

Quite honestly, I am overwhelmed with all the information out there. Different size shackles, reverse shackles, this, that and the next so I am turning to you all again for guidance.

Current set up is:
AMC 304
Dana 20
T18 w/ 6.32:1 1st gear
3.52 gears
AMC20
Dana 30

I do plan to do a one piece conversion and weld the seam on my AMC20. I do plan to not f*** with the Dana 30 until it breaks and at that point I will go bigger. I know what everyone is going to say but I just am not going to spend the money to replace it right now when I don't plan on putting myself in a position, any time soon, where I could break it. But if I do, I will replace it.

Thanks for the help.
:welcome:
Sounds like a good plan. If you are easy on the skinny pedal the Dana 30 should last.
Your good with the AMC20 since your welding and going one piece.
Looking forward to seeing this take place.
If you want to make this a build thread we can move it to the build forum.

I went with BDS springs and have zero conplaints.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I like your setup and I like your plan. Seems like BDS (whats that stand for again?), and Old Man Emu have loyal customers who appreciate the product. What I don't read about too much of anymore is a spring over axle conversion. Maybe axle wrap is a deterrent but I have been seriously considering it. And the right kind of anti-wrap bar would definitely take care of any wrap. It would be worth considering spring over since you don't have a body on the frame.

The axles should be fine with 35's as long as you have shafts upgraded in rear...and eventually in the front. Friends of mine with lead feet have run 35 and 37 on Dana 30's for year. These all had low gearing with tiny pinions too...3.54 pinion is nice and beefy in comparison. I wouldn't both replacing axles for 33-35" tires.

I like your setup and I like your plan. Seems like BDS (whats that stand for again?), and Old Man Emu have loyal customers who appreciate the product. What I don't read about too much of anymore is a spring over axle conversion. Maybe axle wrap is a deterrent but I have been seriously considering it. And the right kind of anti-wrap bar would definitely take care of any wrap. It would be worth considering spring over since you don't have a body on the frame.

The axles should be fine with 35's as long as you have shafts upgraded in rear...and eventually in the front. Friends of mine with lead feet have run 35 and 37 on Dana 30's for year. These all had low gearing with tiny pinions too...3.54 pinion is nice and beefy in comparison. I wouldn't both replacing axles for 33-35" tires.
I like the idea of SOA and have not completely ruled it out and to be honest it was a long term goal for no real reason. I honestly should probably just go SOA for no other reason than liking the extra ground clearance. My hesitation is that most of the threads that i have read said the minimum lift you can gain off SOA is 6" which is too much for me. This got me thinking of either stock (no lift) YJ springs to get me around 4 - 4.5 inches or paying up for Alcan or Dever springs. Shoot if I am paying the money for nicer springs may as well go talk to Crabtree Tool and MORE.

Thats my hope at least. I do plan to upgrade gears within a year or two unless the axel breaks before then.

:welcome:
Sounds like a good plan. If you are easy on the skinny pedal the Dana 30 should last.
Your good with the AMC20 since your welding and going one piece.
Looking forward to seeing this take place.
If you want to make this a build thread we can move it to the build forum.
Thanks! Feel free to make it a build thread if you think that is the best place to put it. It is a SLOW build as I am trying to take my time to do it right.

Clutch Crabtree does springs ? I got his HD tie rod and drag link. Really good stuff.

So here is where I am at as of now in my decision making process. Looking to go with an SOA with either YJ no-lift leafs or something else to help achieve 4 - 4.5" of lift. After pricing this out, it seems like pieceing together quality parts is just a little more expensive than buying a RE or BDS kit. So here's what I got and I welcome your input and if I am missing something please let me know:

1. M.O.R.E Shackle Reversal Kit
2. M.O.R.E. Steering Brace
3. M.O.R.E. Steering Box Mount HD
4. M.O.R.E. Steering Kit: Tie Rod & Drag Link
5. M.O.R.E. Spring Over Axle Kit For Dana 35
6. M.O.R.E. Spring Over Axle Kit for Dana 30

Still working on getting Alcan leaf quote but down to just purchase OME or BDS leafs.

Trying to run 35's and hopefully this gets me there.

Thoughts?

Any reason you don't want to run stock CJ springs just flopped on top? I think one of the fabrication supply places has long spring mounts that should really hold back a lot or all your wrap.

Any reason you don't want to run stock CJ springs just flopped on top? I think one of the fabrication supply places has long spring mounts that should really hold back a lot or all your wrap.
From what I have read the wider YJ leafs run and ride better than the narrow CJ leafs

My main concern is that I don't want to be too tall. I am trying to keep it under 79". I am just looking for 4.5" of total lift and am looking at SOA to get more ground clearance.

I've heard that too about the YJ springs but I am not sure if it is worth the effort in fitting the wider springs. They don't ride too poorly with the stock springs. Definitely ride well on flat stock springs. On mine I think I am going to get 4 stock springs from Rockauto and just install on top of the tubes. I am almost positive my future suspension will be spring over and I too don't want too tall. I think blueprinting the springs but removing a leaf is also a possibility.

I'll be honest with you all, I am wildly overwhelmed trying to figure out suspension options. CJs I have had in the past were already lifted so I didnt have to worry about it. My TJ I lifted but I just find coilover suspensions to be straightforward.

My final plan is to just go SUA with a kit. I am going to go BDS with YJ 3.5" springs. I would like to gain another 1" of lift. Is it best for me to purchase a 1" body lift or a larger shackle? What shackle size should I go with.

I've got to say that leaf spring suspensions are blowing my mind right now. Information overload and a ton of conflicting information at that. I think I am going to go SUA, ride it for a while and research the best SOA method in the meantime and do it further down the road.

I don't blame you. Theres so many reports of X brand lift being harsh/sagging/too tall that you dont even know what to expect. Then factor in spring over had umpteen more variables...its a lot. I'll probably stick with my mystery lift for this year and rehash later in life.

I am running CJ springs still under the axles and have 4" of lift and run 35's. My springs are Rough Country 4" lift springs (part # 67530) and came in a kit with the drop pitman arm, xfer case drop spacers/bolts, extended sway bar connects, and longer shocks. Total kit about $650. Rides fine with no bump steer or other issues.

I'll be honest with you all, I am wildly overwhelmed trying to figure out suspension options. CJs I have had in the past were already lifted so I didnt have to worry about it. My TJ I lifted but I just find coilover suspensions to be straightforward.

My final plan is to just go SUA with a kit. I am going to go BDS with YJ 3.5" springs. I would like to gain another 1" of lift. Is it best for me to purchase a 1" body lift or a larger shackle? What shackle size should I go with.

I've got to say that leaf spring suspensions are blowing my mind right now. Information overload and a ton of conflicting information at that. I think I am going to go SUA, ride it for a while and research the best SOA method in the meantime and do it further down the road.

M.O.R.E. 1" body pucks

Shackles as short as possible will minimize steering issues…3-1/2-4”

I went with 4” BDS SUA not long after I got it…corrected all the steering issues I had at the same time…which is a whole other discussion altogether

They’re great quality, warranty, etc…wrap around a plus for wheeling…but they are stiff

All depends on what you’re after…road ride vs off-road flex

CCJ,

I've got a set of OEM YJ springs just lying around here. I'm not going to use them. Let me know if you're interested.
Just pay for shipping and they're yours.

Attachments

• yj springs.jpg
    yj springs.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks