Build Thread 1986 CJ7 Build

Build Thread 1986 CJ7 Build
Ha! Nah on the 4:1 gears. It did cross my mind though.
Do you have any popping out of gear issues with yours?

Did that couple years ago and went up to N Carolina this last late April early May and we did some different trails and back roads. Popped out once and I didn’t know what happened at first. Thought maybe it did something to the dive shaft or something else happened. Nope got back in and shifted back in. I did use the heavy springs ball kit. Who knows

Jan 16, 24:
-While I wait for the temps to rise and the T-case seal/gasket kit to arrive, I’ve been considering drilling and tapping the bottom of my differentials and installing a low-profile drain plug. I think there used to be one there back in the early years of the Dana 44. There’s a boss/thickened pad cast in the bottom of the diff, in both the IH rear and the Jeep front. I already have a 3/8” npt tap. I’d just need a couple, short, female, allen bit plugs. Maybe with a magnet too. If I installed them flush to the housing, they’d be pretty safe and rocks wouldn’t hang on them. It appears there’s clearance from the ring gear too on the inside.
Someone has got to have done this?

IMG_6972.jpegIMG_6971.jpeg

Good observation. I've put 3/8 npt plugs in there before. Be very careful when you tap and check the fit often while tapping so the hole doesn't get too big and you end up with a bad fit or the plug sets to deep.

Also, drilling close to to the end of the casting makes for a weak spot to crack if ever hit on a rock when crawling

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Thanks fellas. I’ve sourced a couple low profile socket plugs, with magnet, and plan to do it this evening. Finally above freezing here too.
A bit of research says Dana did have a drain there, up to about 1970+\_
Maybe someone with an early CJ (pre ‘76) with Dana 44 could verify?

I did a bit more research and it looks like the older Jeep and Willys D44s ('41-'71) had a drain plug. Had em in all their axles offerings.

RearAxleExploded Older D44 w 2pc shafts.jpg

Drain Plug.jpg

That would have been a nice added feature on the 20 axel also. But nooooooo. Don’t see any place to add it anyway after the fact.

Jan 17, 24:
-Got a lot done this afternoon, since it’s above freezing today. Worked to about noon, worked out, ate lunch, then had the whole afternoon for the Jeep. About 45 and sunny - opened the garage door and it was really nice.
-Installed the drain plug in the new front housing. Took my time and was fairly straightforward.
-Removed the rear end diff cover in prep for doing that drain plug install as well. Oil looked surprisingly bad, for being only 9 mo. old. Hmmm?
-Removed the T-case. Lotsa nasty, oil-caked, red sand to deal with. PO musta driven same red dirt road a lot. Cleaned/wire brushed it in prep of partial disassembly.
-Nice enough to take the front housing outside and spray a coat of primer on it.
-While I wait for the shift rod springs and seal/gasket kit, the plan is to install the rear drain plug. Maybe tomorrow evening.

IMG_6982.jpegIMG_6983.jpegIMG_6984.jpeg

Jan 20, 24:
-A nice day today. About 45 and sunny, so, open garage doors. Ahhh!!!
-Began the partial disassembly of my Dana 300 Transfer Case. Fairly simple case.

-On a hunch, I only bought new Yokes and a seal/gasket kit. Today, I’m happy to find that all bearings are fine, but yokes have bad seal grooves. Perfect!
-New yokes from Crown had too large of shrouds, which is common. Changed them out, carefully, with the originals.IMG_6996.jpegIMG_6998.jpegIMG_7001.jpeg

CJ: which seal are you referring to?

Trimmed the skid plate/cross plate where the front driveshaft intersects.
Noticed that my shaft was rubbing at the edge of the plate, when the axle articulated.
Cut out a notch. Will see how it goes with the new driveshaft though. Plan on a new one with the new Dana 44 front.IMG_6997.jpegIMG_7005.jpeg

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Had a nice talk with K.
We came up with something...
One year ad free here,,,,
Jeopardy type annswer, 'What is a case spreader?

Removed the T-case. Lotsa nasty, oil-caked, red sand to deal with
Not sure how well you cleaned the under carriage after your trip to Utah, sounds like it could be Moab red. I'm still finding it under mine nine months later :)

Ooooh! I know. I know the answer😉

I have a trivia question for you, CJ.

I mentioned that my grandfather worked for Stinson Aircraft in Detroit back in the 20s - 40s. Here he is…
IMG_7007.jpeg

With your aviation background, maybe you could help identify the item my grandpa is pointing to in the pic below? I believe he helped develop whatever it is & have wondered for years.
IMG_7008.jpeg

Wondering if that’s the backside.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks