Build Thread 1986 CJ7 Build

Build Thread 1986 CJ7 Build
Looking to put twin sticks on the Dana 300. Made some up myself for the last CJ, but that was 25 years ago. I see now that there are a few offerings out there that look nice and am considering that route.
JB Fabrication comes up a lot when I do a site search. Any others to consider, or just go with the no-brainer?

FAF87E9E-DEF5-4DB7-ADBF-8EE672FF2903.jpeg BD3FC143-90DF-4F97-8B40-327692622CA5.jpeg I would go with the Stronghold shift boot also. Fit really well. 10485387-1CA1-450B-8990-89A77F2D8338.jpeg713E2650-6E08-4FED-9885-CE1200C66F58.jpeg

Thanks gents!
That does look nice. Might have to go with the cool knobs too.

Thanks gents!
That does look nice. Might have to go with the cool knobs too.
The knobs were not much extra considering Jeep parts these days. Maybe 1/2 a tank of gas cost.

I remember my diy ones were really old and I dipped the decades-old knobs in that plastic-dip stuff. I recall them looking like some kinda Christmas chocolate outa one of those boxes. Ha!

I remember my diy ones were really old and I dipped the decades-old knobs in that plastic-dip stuff. I recall them looking like some kinda Christmas chocolate outa one of those boxes. Ha!
I made new ones...

Dec 29, 23:
-Ordered the twin sticks from JB. Got the cool knobs too! They have a ton of cool early Bronco stuff. Kick myself for selling my '77 ! They're going for close to 6 figures now.
-Still waiting on the gears/locker to be done on the Dana 44 front end. In no hurry, really. Realized that I still have to weld a little tab on the housing tube for the steering stabilizer, like I did for the Dana 30.
The Dana 30 is available, btw, if there's any interest. If no interest, I'll take it up to the 4x4 shop in N. Colorado where I worked in college. I'd probably just donate it to them, since they're a great family.
-While the driver's seat is out and getting re-upholstered, it had me thinking that now would be a good time to mount a fire extinguisher. I know it's common to put them either in front of or outside of the driver's seat. What sorta ideas did you guys come up with? Last one I had I attached to the roll bar, but don't wanta do that this round.
fe.jpg

Jan 5, 24:
Received the JB twin sticks and removed old shifter and parts to prepare for installation. When removing tran tunnel panel I noticed that on the floor pan of passenger side there was some liquid. I’ll be damned - heater core decided to start puking on me. That’s how it goes though - one project leads to another!
-Searched around for a replacement heater core and found mixed reviews on what’s available. Could only find aluminum too. Went with Omix-ada. Thinner core. Seemed ok upon install. Hope she holds ok though.IMG_6943.jpeg

Nice work, i really enjoyed building my 44 front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 12, 24’
-Driver seat is dropped off at upholstery guy and is getting re-done. The Laredo seats are cool and he said he’d match the new bottom as best he could. Seemed like a good dude.
-Dana 44 front is now back home, with new gears and Detroit Locker installed.
-Twin stick install still pending. It’s supposed to be frikn’ cold this weekend, so don’t know if the heater in the garage will keep up.
-Heater box assy reinstall still pending this polar vortex :dung: too.IMG_6959.jpegIMG_6958.jpeg

Ghats some beautiful weld

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 24:
-It was about -5 for a high today here in CO. Garage was a bit cold, but managed to do some work on installing the twin sticks on the Jeep.
Seems that my setup has the shifters way rearward. Maybe the T5 is longer than a 4-speed and pushes everything back? Don't recall this issue with the last ones I installed on the '79 CJ5 with a Scout D300 and T18 4-speed. To solve the issue, I made up an adapter plate to account for the rearward shift, out of 16ga sheet metal. I'll rivet it to the panel and it'll bridge the gap and cover everything up ok on the trans tunnel panel. It allows the twin stick boot to be installed further back to avoid any binding/tension on the sticks when they're in the rear position.
-I heated up the outward shifter at the lower bend in order to bend it about 6 degrees inward. This was necessary because it was angled waaay too far outwards.
-Another issue I'm having is that I have very little detection of each shifter position. I think it has to do with the springs and detents in the 2 shift rails. Guessing that I need new/stiffer springs to help solve this issue. Last time I did this, 25 years ago, it wasn't as bad as far as feeling the different positions. But, I recall that Jeep would sometimes pop out of 2R Low. I researched a bit and ordered a Ball and Spring Kit from JB Conversions, Inc.
-Too cold to paint the adapter plate out in the garage. Was interesting doing it in the utility room. Glad the wife is headed for Mexico today on a work trip - she woulda killed me!

Shifters are waaay rearward. Twin shifter boot can't be installed.
shifter 3.jpg

shifter 1.jpg

Made an adapter plate to span/bridge the gap and move the twin boot installation rearward. Painted it in the utility room.
shifter 2.jpg

Jan 12, 24’
-Driver seat is dropped off at upholstery guy and is getting re-done. The Laredo seats are cool and he said he’d match the new bottom as best he could. Seemed like a good dude.
-Dana 44 front is now back home, with new gears and Detroit Locker installed.
-Twin stick install still pending. It’s supposed to be frikn’ cold this weekend, so don’t know if the heater in the garage will keep up.
-Heater box assy reinstall still pending this polar vortex :dung: too.View attachment 100326View attachment 100327
Good backlash, nice drive and coast pattern... :chug:

IMG_6958.jpeg

Jan 15, '24:
-Decided to pull the T-case. Might as well to clean it up good and it'll make it easier to install the new shift rod springs. I believe I have to remove the middle idler gear and shaft to access the shift fork set screws. Can't pull the shift rods without undoing them from the forks.
-Went ahead and ordered a seal/gasket kit too to freshen up the case while it's out. I'll wait a couple days til I remove the T-case since it's just so damn cold now.

Did you go overboard yet and get the Lomax 4:1 gears yet ? :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks