Build Thread 1980 CJ7 "Love ya Blue"

If it were me I would get another frame. The cost of fixing it would be more than a good used one. I'm not a big fan of the new aftermarket frames.

After showing the windshield to my body/paint man, he suggested I get a new one. He called Levan Autoparts (www.theautoparts.com) and they had a new one (made in Taiwan) for $110 so I bought it. Levan can ship small stuff via UPS. Ask for Henry the owner. Appears to be well made and seems to be about the same weight as the old one but I don't know what gauge it is or how it compares to original. Since it's the windshield (not weigh bearing or structural) I think it will be fine.

One of the problems I have found with the aftermarket frames is the stock glass will not fit into it. I hope it works out for you. At least it's not made in China that's a plus.

Last month (July) I pulled the drivetrain and engine. Made good use of my engine hoist to help with the D300. All came apart fine and is sitting around my garage while I decide on where to take it for overhaul. I was concerned with supporting the back of the engine when I took the tranny off and was surprised when the engine wanted to tilt forward. One more lesson learned.

All that was left holding the engine in was motor mounts and the power steering hoses. Got those off and it lifted right out. Hardest part was getting it lined up so I could get the bolts in the engine stand.

Won't bore everyone with pictures of coil, distributor, alternator and water pump but here's a sample of the teardown. Engine surprises included some new bolts, a couple of newer rockers, and a touch of rust in one port. I took the engine to the machine shop today (C.A.M. in Spring - Willard Buff) and he noticed gunk in the valves - said it was evidence of bad fuel. This CJ was an RV pull-behind and probably not driven that regularly so I'm not surprised.

OK, finally caught up. Today I took my engine to the machine shop, bought a new windshield frame and stopped by the paint shop to coordinate plans on blasting and painting. Got back home and started in on steering. Needed my puller to get the rod ends apart. I knew it was going to sound like it was breaking when it let go - and it did - but it still scared the heck out of me every time it let go. Take a look at the connector rod - does it look bent to anyone else?

Steering is all out, moved on to suspension. Stabilizer bar off (with some help from the puller), shocks off, got one spring off. U-bolt nuts are not my friend. I don't have any deep sockets but definitely need one on those. Settled for wrench, ratchet, and medium socket combination. Could not get any of the u-bolt nuts to break loose on the other side so I hit them again with Aerokroil and may go shopping for the deep socket tomorrow. With my engine at the shop and painting starting in 2-3 weeks, the pressure is on to get my work done on the frame since I'll be doing it myself. Also need to order new suspension parts and line someone to do the axle work. I know, you're thinking just do it yourself. Probably could but not really interested in getting that deep into it - not likely to need those skills again in the future. Anyway, here's some shots of the suspension work.

I have a new best friend. When trying to break loose the nuts on the u-bolts, nothing was working. Not only that, there was so much exposed thread below the nut that I couldn't get at it with my socket set. Soaked them all down with Aerokroil overnight and went to Ace Saturday morning and bought a deep socket. That along with by 1/2" Craftsman breaker bar forced them into submission. It was still hard work, but this is what I call a combination wrench. :cool:

In the process, found some lower shock mounts bent aft from some kind of collision with a rock or something. One in front, one in back. Maybe it was the same rock. :rolleyes: One was bent so far it almost blocked access to the adjacent u-bolt nut - almost. Didn't really interfere with shock function, the lower end just rotated a little. Wore myself out getting them all off but it's a good feeling getting to this point. I guess it's officially a "frame-off" restoration now. :D Without pics it didn't really happen so here they are.

Was finally able to remove the rear brake lines. The attachments were all frozen up last time I tried. I guess the Aerokroil finally got to them and they backed right out. Interesting to see there is a front pad and a rear pad in each set with the bigger pad surface on the back. I'll have to verify that's correct when I replace them.

Nice looking build. Reminds me a lot of mine! Ill definitely be following. Did you have any issues getting the bolts out of the rear shackles? I started disassembling the rear suspension today and those bolts wouldn't budge. I had to cut them out. The old rubber bushings seem to have melted/ disintegrated over the years and seized up on the bolts. 10lb sledge wouldn't even persuade them. Ended up cutting the leaf springs off as well since ill be going with a BDS suspension setup.

Nice looking build. Reminds me a lot of mine! Ill definitely be following. Did you have any issues getting the bolts out of the rear shackles? I started disassembling the rear suspension today and those bolts wouldn't budge. I had to cut them out. The old rubber bushings seem to have melted/ disintegrated over the years and seized up on the bolts. 10lb sledge wouldn't even persuade them. Ended up cutting the leaf springs off as well since ill be going with a BDS suspension setup.
My only real difficulty came with 16 u-bolt nuts that were very happy where they were. Had to buy a deep socket and bring out the breaker bar, followed up with impact wrench and ratchet. My jeep had been stored primarily under cover (out of the weather) for most of its life and lived in Texas where we don't have to deal with messy winters and all that comes with it. Thanks for your post.

My engine has been rebuilt and is being painted. Using Eastwood's AMC blue metallic engine paint. My mechanic is going to help me finish getting the engine setup with manifold/new carburetor and headers. Also delivered my tranny, t-case and axles to get them rebuilt, cleaned and painted. Trying to decide on what suspension lift and tires to go with. I know football season is going to slow down my build (based on last year's progress) but I know once I get new parts in I'll want to start putting it back together. My shop is ready (see previous post), and I'm ready. I'll be sure to document with posts and pictures once it starts.

Great build thread! Have you decided what color the body is going to be? I've got the same drivetrain. It's a great combo. Keep twistin' them bolts!

Great build thread! Have you decided what color the body is going to be? I've got the same drivetrain. It's a great combo. Keep twistin' them bolts!

Metallic maroon body, satin/flat black accent on the hood and windshield, original white wagon-wheels, black undercoat, black soft top, SS windshield hinges and CJ mirrors. Can't wait to see if it looks as good as I'm imagining it will. Thanks.....

Metallic maroon body, satin/flat black accent on the hood and windshield, original white wagon-wheels, black undercoat, black soft top, SS windshield hinges and CJ mirrors. Can't wait to see if it looks as good as I'm imagining it will. Thanks.....

Im sure it will :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom