Build Thread 1980 CJ7 "Love ya Blue"

Build Thread 1980 CJ7 "Love ya Blue"
Pasadena 4x4 off Beverly St. is a good place for parts if you don't mind the drive. The dude has enough stuff to probably build 50 jeeps. Keep on wrenching, I am enjoying the thread.

Thanks for the info. Have lived in Houston area most of my life so a 60 mile trip across town is no big deal to me.

:grinjeep:

Apologies to mtnwhlr for my slowness in getting caught up on posts. With 8 grand kids and our aging parents all close by, weekends fill up pretty quick. Just so you know I have been working on the CJ, I'll post some pictures as a sneak preview. :D

:grinjeep:

Apologies to mtnwhlr for my slowness in getting caught up on posts. With 8 grand kids and our aging parents all close by, weekends fill up pretty quick. Just so you know I have been working on the CJ, I'll post some pictures as a sneak preview. :D
You do not need to apologize to me. I have 12 grand kids and know how life gets in the way. I think family comes first.

OK, can't believe it's been 2 months since my last post. Committed to getting caught up on posts because I'm getting close to starting the rebuild and that'll be much more fun than taking apart. So.....I finished out January with the gas tank, tail lights and wiring harness. The gas tank had fuel in it but I didn't know how much (gauge not working of course). Some how I was able to drop it and get it out without spilling any fuel. Wound up with about 3 gallons which I emptied into a couple of plastic gas cans. Poured it through a paint filter to capture the sediment and wound up with about a quart of really bad stuff at the bottom which I disposed of. The rest I added to my daily driver about a half gallon at a time just to get rid of it. Probably two gallons was new gas that I had added after I bought it. The last picture is one I took of the inside of the tank. I plan to try the Eastwood kit to clean and restore it.

Couldn't put it off any longer.....time to pull the wiring harness. As usual, took lots of pictures and applied labels where needed. Started at the back and worked my way forward. Nothing to it. :eek:

Decided in February that I needed to get the pedals out to make it easier to remove the last of the wiring harness up to the fuse block. Emergency brake was first followed by the accelerator and finally the brake/clutch assembly. :D

With the tub harness and pedals out, I moved to the other side of the firewall and started in on the engine compartment. More stuff than you realize up there but easy to get out. Lots of pictures and labels again to help with the rebuild. :roll eyes:

Last thing to go before the tub came out was the tailgate. The tailgate is very clean as you can see, but it gave me my first bolt that would not come out. A hinge bolt, I think the threaded backing plate broke loose from it's weld. Body man may have to do surgery to fix that one.

Releasing the tub I got my second bolt that would not cooperate. Finally had to cut it off. Same problem as the first, loose threaded backing plate (or whatever it's called). The tub is also in good shape. Only has one dent in the left rear corner. Floor pans look good so far and will hopefully stand the test of blasting away the paint and surface rust.

April/May was spent starting the cleanup of the frame. Removed the exhaust, brake & fuel lines, and driveshafts. Brake lines were a problem. Couldn't get any of the connections to come loose. Was already planning to replace them with new so I just cut them off. In fact, I think I was in some kind of frustrated mood for some reason because the exhaust went under the blade as well. :mad:

Driveshafts came out next. Luckily I had the right size 16 pt. wrench to get the clamps off. PO had done a good job over the last 30 years keeping it well greased. Made for a messy job but getting your hands dirty is part of the fun.

OK, finally caught up to the current month. Of course it becomes August tomorrow - oh well. Wanted to post one last pic tonight to hopefully get some feedback on my windshield. Had the glass taken out and the rust damage was much worse than I thought. I'm taking it to my body man for his opinion tomorrow but would appreciate any feedback the forum might give on whether or not to replace it with a new frame. :confused:

I'm sure it'll buff out.

:booze:

-Jon

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom