Build Thread 1980 CJ7 "Love ya Blue"

August 2013
Disassembly began with the easy stuff: soft top & doors, then seats, and moved on to the windshield. As I removed parts, I found very few real issues. The jeep had been stored mostly indoors and is in really good shape at 34 years old. The Bestop is an obvious replacement for the original because there are/were two sets of snaps on the tub. Planning to replace with a new top that uses the rail system.

I like the rail system for a soft top better myself. Your going to need the post style latches for your 1/2 doors when you go to re assemble. I still dont have mine tore down all the way. :eek:

I follow and enjoy your thread too Pete. Luckily I don't have harsh winters to slow me down, although football season did. I'm aware of the need for door posts with half doors. Will have to find someone willing to work with me on the several small welding jobs I need like filling snap holes. I wanted to take a welding class and maybe get a Mig but my work just hasn't allowed me the time yet.

From a guy who has yet learned to weld if you can make it happen do it. There are plenty of other things you have to do with the Jeep until you get a chance to learn. I used an ad on Craigslist back when I needed some floor pans put in awhile back. Now my brother helps me out. Im hoping he can teach me along the way.:)

I follow and enjoy your thread too Pete. Luckily I don't have harsh winters to slow me down, although football season did. I'm aware of the need for door posts with half doors. Will have to find someone willing to work with me on the several small welding jobs I need like filling snap holes. I wanted to take a welding class and maybe get a Mig but my work just hasn't allowed me the time yet.

August 2013
Seats were next to come out after tearing out as much of the indoor/outdoor carpet as I could. Seats look to be original with not much wear and tear. I'm planning to recover with a modern black vinyl that looks and feels like leather. Hoping my upholstery guy can replicate the look and CJ logo with real stiching. I can see the value of high back seats and may look into that at some point down the road.

Here's a couple more shots of the seats before I took them out. Once I got to this point, the jeep went outside for a bath. Broke out the power washer and knocked off as much as I could from both the top side and under side. It will get power washed again once I get it down to the rolling chassis.

August 2013
There are an amazing number of little pieces attached to the windshield including a big piece of glass which I have not yet had removed (won't try that myself based on other threads I've read). Here are some overall shots of it. Really good shape with only a couple of rust spots at the base of the glass. I'll have a body guy take a look to see if they are repairable.

August 2013
Soft top hardware and mirrors were next. When I decided to get the half doors, I started thinking about what to do with mirrors. Realized one day that if I went with Wrangler mirrors, I wouldn't have any mirrors if I wanted to drive without doors. Besides, the CJ mirrors are part of what makes it a CJ so I'm sticking with them.

Sep/Oct 2013
September was pretty much consumed by college football so I didn't get much done other than finally determine that I have the T176 tranny. That was good news based on what most of you were saying about the SR4 in earlier posts. Got back to it in October and warmed up with the front tow bar.

October 2013
Working my way toward the back of the Jeep so the hood was next. Again more little parts that you just don't think about until you start stripping it all off. Thankfully, I started with a good system to keep up with all the little pieces. Besides all the pictures I've taken (sharing only a sample here), I put everything in ziplock bags and label them. I'll take a picture and post later. Most other larger parts have gone in plastic bins - I just don't trust my memory to remember what they all are.

October 2013
Closed out the month with removal of the tire carrier. Some of the attach points and bracing I couldn't get off very easily until getting some other stuff off later. The problem is getting to the nut on the back side. Like everything else, it's original. My intention has been to upgrade to a new bumper with attached carrier so it's not attached to the rear of the tub. Having read more about it, I have some concerns about the weight of that addition so at some point I'll post that question in a technical thread. Here's some pictures.

November 2013
Decided it was time for the roll bar to come off. Although my grandkids loved swinging on it, I needed to get it out of the way and see what it looked like underneath the plates. As expected there was some rust but nothing too bad. I think I'll be able to clean it up without having to replace any metal. So far, all the bolts have been coming out without problem. Later I'll come across a couple that give me trouble and may need surgery to fix. Here's pictures of the roll bar for now.

Thanksgiving 2013
Thought I might really make some headway over the holiday but it just wasn't to be. Did manage to get the trailer hitch off the rear bumper.
:confused: wasn't that like six months ago. Wow I thought I was a slow typer :D

New Year's 2013
Finally mustered the courage over New Year's to start pulling the electrical out of it, starting with the instrument panel. In hind site, I feel pretty good about it with all the labeling and picture taking I did, should be pretty straight forward reinstalling a new harness. It wasn't as complex as I thought it was, and I took a lot of pictures - here's a sample.

Forgot to mention the PO had replaced the speedometer so its showing only 222 miles. He still had the old one with just over 100,000 miles on it - mostly towed miles I think.

January 2014
Started the new year by pulling the steering wheel. Tried doing this with a pulley puller I bought but it was wanting to bend the wheel spokes. I was able to borrow the correct puller from work and it came off with no issues. Not sure why I didn't get any pics of the column coming out later in the year - but it did.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks