Build Thread 1978 cj7 in process

Build Thread 1978 cj7 in process
Trust me it WILL. This jeep will be back to the point I wish I had bought it at. Ready to get to the axles and important stuff.

more work today.

Its been a minute since I posted.... the reason is good .... I left a company I worked for almost 15 years and started my own general aviation maintenance facility. All is going well and now Im trying to squeeze in the jeep. Body work is still in progress and I decided to FINALLY pull the trans/case as I bought the master rebuild kits and a twin stick from Novak 6 months ago. So now as time permits im going to do the rebuilds on them ,finish the body work(most important to do yourself if able) and pay a good friend to spray the tub.I want to drive this spring ya know.

Good luck with your GA work. I've got AV-gas and JP4 in my veins. Grow'n up I was a 'ramp-rat' for Western Airlines(WAL).
Got to know GA via my Mom, when she would go fly'n. Mom was a WASP in WW2 and still flew for fun till she was 65.
LG

Heck yeah Lumpy, thats awesome! Your always welcome to come hangout on this airport if ya like. A WASP Huh! Thats History and untold stories all on its own. I enjoy aviation especially the stories of the people that got us here today. Although GA hasn't changed much recip engine wise...

Mom flew everything the military had. She was also an instructor pilot in the WASP's.
Got most of her time in P51 and P38 as she was based at NAA(LAX).
She did log 500+ hrs in the B17 in the right seat. Survived 2 crashes(p51 & p38).
This all from a 4' 11" gal, that never weighed more than 95 lbs in her life.
Lost her in 1995, after her third round with that DAMN 'C' thing.
Respectfully,
LG

Sorry for your loss LG. Nothing can replace that but some live the life that provide great stories and in my realm of the world your mom is a hero. She accomplished things average people today could never accomplish. Things were different back then , so much its too much to even get into.Quite an ACCOMPLISHMENT my friend in so many ways. I had the opportunity to lend a hand in some restoration on the Memphis Belle (B17). As far as the P38 and P51...well that's best told by the old timers, however I have friends who have restored them or been involved in them and it will truly open ones eyes as to where this country came from.:)

My daughter and I got a ride in the Memphis Belle a couple of years ago from Chino(CNO)to Lancaster(WJF). It was to honor WASP's and their families. My daughter was allowed to sit in the right seat(after takeoff)as her grandmother did so many decades ago. Things got little 'blurry'-If you know what I mean....
LG

I broke the transmission down today with my little spare time. It looks like the broken gear is 2nd gear. There is a scribe on the side of the case that indicates the overhauler's initials and 2/03/2010 so it looks to have been reworked before.(at least once) The only problem I noticed during driving is that it kicks itself out of gear in third if you let off the gas or if you dont rest your hand on it while in third. Many years ago I had the same trans and same prob but converted to a 999. I have a feeling that it was rebuilt for this problem and let go.Could it be that the 2nd & 3rd Gear synchronizer assy needed to be replaced and was overlooked? Will be making some calls. Any info from you guys is welcome. Will go back and reread past posts when I can..

Look for worn shift fork and 'slider' assembly.
LG

I will look into that Lumpy. I also talked to Novak today and the guy mentions interlock pills and synchronizer backup rings which the it came with but as far as rings they do not look worn compared to new. Gonna make some calls tomorrow.

I bead blasted the transmission case and painted it. (chrysler blue) I've got to order 2nd "gear" but I want to ensure myself I replace whatever is causing it to kick itself out of gear...

My daughter and I got a ride in the Memphis Belle a couple of years ago from Chino(CNO)to Lancaster(WJF). It was to honor WASP's and their families. My daughter was allowed to sit in the right seat(after takeoff)as her grandmother did so many decades ago. Things got little 'blurry'-If you know what I mean....
LG

thats awesome , to think that type of plane (B17) flew back in with virtually no tail feathers during the war is nearly uncomprehensive .

I pulled the trigger on these parts yesterday.... centerforce stage 1 clutch kit, new shift forks, 2nd gear, 2nd/3rd synchronizer assy, trans mount and a clutch linkage kit. Going to pull flywheel and have resurfaced with a new ring gear. Sometime early next week I hope to disassemble the Tcase. With any luck the master overhaul kit I have will do it.

Oh I forgot to say I purchased a powerlok Limited slip for the Dana 30 front diff. Got a good deal on it . I plan to run it a while til I decide what direction I want to go axle wise. Whatever I do down the road , OX manual lockers are in the recipe. From the little research I've done the powerlok seems to have a good rep for what it is. The PO upgraded to selectable lockers so I jumped at the opportunity. The transaction went very smooth and I'm excited to put it in along with gears. Now I wish I could find a good deal on a rear locker for the model 20 to run along with 1 piece kit and gears for a while.:)

Ok so the transmission is pretty much together. The hardest part I found to be is the clutch shaft (bearing) just did not seem to want to hammer in. I may have started a little light being they call for a raw hide hammer. I took it apart a couple times to ensure myself all was correct and just hammered it in. 2 of the pics are illustrations of the arbor tool usage. Like many who have posted i used 1/2" pvc slightly tapered on the ends cut to the length of the bore area your working with. One of the pics is with the retainer installed. When you tap in the shaft it pushes the pvc out all while retaining the bearings in place. someone may have posted pics already i just couldnt find them. otherwise its a relatively easy project. My transfer case needs no new parts so I will be putting it together this coming week. I've always been accused of being a gear head and I must say I enjoyed the rebuild.

t case bead blasted and painted, bearings pressed.still have to remove races from a few parts. wanted to get painted to set over weekend. pretty much ready to go back together, busy at the shop. plan to install all in jeep next weekend. ready to unveil the paint work.. interlock pills gone. yes, for you that are thinking it, some work for possibly inferior components but im having fun and will eventually sell a nice product to one of you guys when i change it all.:D

Its been a WHILE , had to take a little break.. too hot around here to turn wrenches on planes all day then work on your own stuff. I did rebuild the trans with success but the tcase is a mess. wont go in 2lo. so this weekend im yanking back out to rework it. in the mean time i ordered and received the tera 20low kit. I look at it as a way to save money (thats what the significant other claims anyway) meaning i failed on purpose til i had the parts i wanted..lol.. ive got so many mini projects going on the jeep its silly, but all will come together. i may have missed this fall but i WONT miss next spring. The garage will be my home this winter, i welcome the change in temp. She's gonna flip when i tell her axles are next :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom