Build Thread 1978 cj7 in process

Build Thread 1978 cj7 in process

ksouthw80

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7.304, t150,D20 w/teralow- twin stick, dana 30/AMC20. 35 sst's on procomp wheels.
I traded an old truck for a 1978 CJ7. Its in pretty good shape, well saveable anyway. As of now I have all new suspension parts coming to me.... springs,shocks, bushings , drop pitman arm, and YES shackles. (Not even gonna comment on the PO's thoughts on that... Anyway I plan to build and drive and build... So, I am now in the process of doing the steering portion of things.. All new balljoints ,tie rods, and bearings and such... Its all apart , now time for the parts cleaner and the press. Hey , the PO did put all new rotors and linings on...

I YES shackles. (Not even gonna comment on the PO's thoughts on that... Hey , the PO did put all new rotors and linings on...

So your getting longer ones for more lift right? :D Probably only put the new brakes on cause it didnt stop at all anymore. Have fun. :chug:

Did you say ladder quality? LOL. Plan to have fun and get it done.

Here is a pic of how it is before any work done!

An ACME top and doors :chug: I had one of those on my CJ when I bought it, darn those things are heavy. They're nice, but heavy.

Redoing my front end is long in the works. Keep posting and keep the pics flowing. This site has helped me to learn, whatever you do, take pictures! I will take that top and doors too is they prove to be too heavy! :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I like the top so far, plan to paint it matching the jeep. As far as the front end rebuild I will post all pics and throw in the specifics.. here's the first... the spindle nut is 2 1/8" . You guys may know this but I had to mic it and buy before I saw quadratec sells for change. ( let me know if calling out manufacturers is tacky, or sue me, whatever). :)

No worries on the name dropping, we all do it from time to time. If you dont have one already, i highly recommend the book Jeep CJ Rebuilder's Manual by Moses Ludel, IMHO its worth every penny. When i rebuilt my front end it walked me through step by step, its got very good info with very good pics.

Jeep Cj Rebuilder's Manual, 1972-1986: Mechanical Restoration, Unit Repair and Overhaul Performance Upgrades for Jeep Cj-5, Cj-6, Cj-7, and Cj-8/Scrambler: Moses Ludel: 9780837601519: Amazon.com: Books

51HP2NV3ZVL._SY300_.jpg

All of the parts have been beadblasted ,cleaned and painted. New tie rod ends and balljoints. Waiting on spindle bearing kits to be delivered.

Looking good :popcorn:

From what I have seen the oem CJ tie rods and drag link are quite weak even with stock size tires, as I have seen them bend quite easily. There are a few aftermarket and junkyard versions available. good luck with your your rebuild!

I received my parts today. I got everything together except the brake calipers and tires..Time for the football game..

I received my parts today. I got everything together except the brake calipers and tires..Time for the football game..
You tease! I wouldn't call that a game. What a disappointment. :) Now get to posting pics. :D

From what I have seen the oem CJ tie rods and drag link are quite weak even with stock size tires, as I have seen them bend quite easily. There are a few aftermarket and junkyard versions available. good luck with your your rebuild!
Not to hijack, but can you enlighten me. The wife wants 33's on hers.

So as it goes I ordered new 4in springs , drop pitman arm, all new shocks, a front left spring plate, shackles , steering stabilizer etc. The weather hit us and I'm waiting on parts , now hear this, half my junk is on backorder! LOL! I,m bored and ready to enjoy spring. However, I will be dropping the oil pan for new rear main seal in the A.M. Thanks for listening! :(

I finally did the rear main seal today and although the leak slowed down its still dripping. I did the job textbook... It looks like a new oil pan for me. Pan looked normal from what I saw but you know how it goes.. If anyone reading this has one they are fairly confident is in good shape, let me know, otherwise i'll order one in a week or so... Still waiting suspension parts. Any other opinions welcome, its a pretty straight forward job.:cool:

Picking up a felpro one piece oil pan gasket. This is silly. I built 2 of these engines in the late 90's and never had the problems i'm seeing online. Was not aware this was such a problem for the amc v8's.

When I did the rear main seal on my 304 way back it still leaked. A guy in my Jeep club told me he'd done many and put a small amount of RTV on the "feet" of the seal , then assemble. I did it and no more leak.

will try again. turns out the 1 piece is not for v8

I finally got some parts. Today I installed 4 inch superlift springs, skyjacker shocks, 1 1/2 warrior shackles(greasable), a new front left spring pad.All with poly bushings.( sprayed with LPS white lithium grease) I now need to section and lenghtened the swaybar links and get an alignment. I know some of you are against bigger than 1 inch shackles so I went a little smaller than intended. The main importance now is to be able to ride my kids around in a monster truck jeep for a minute (lol,but its important). It seems to sit right with the 33's to me. I intend to a least run 35's for a minute while getting things ready for a springover next year.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom