Would Anyone Be Interested in Modified 4.0 Harnesses?

Would Anyone Be Interested in Modified 4.0 Harnesses?
Update-

I've got pretty much everything wired up, mounted, and ready to go. I've had it out down to the gas station, and it runs pretty good. The only issue I've seen is a slight hesitation off of idle, which possibly could be the ECM relearning things or the TPS, not sure which. The little research I've done, leads me to believe those are possible explanations, but I could also be way off, so if anyone has any ideas, I'm listening!

Over the next couple months, I hope to get a good idea on the mileage, and then after a tank of fuel is through it, I'll put it on the dyno to see what it does to the numbers. I think what I'll do is start a build thread just dealing with this upgrade, and I hope to get that started in the next couple of weeks.

End result?

I think that thisguys harness really is a simple and inexpensive way to do this upgrade. Like I said earlier, once I got past my problems, it really was a plug(solder)and play type of deal. A lot of work with the other parts of the install, but the wiring was just doing some soldering and you're done.

Update-

I've got pretty much everything wired up, mounted, and ready to go. I've had it out down to the gas station, and it runs pretty good. The only issue I've seen is a slight hesitation off of idle, which possibly could be the ECM relearning things or the TPS, not sure which. The little research I've done, leads me to believe those are possible explanations, but I could also be way off, so if anyone has any ideas, I'm listening!

Over the next couple months, I hope to get a good idea on the mileage, and then after a tank of fuel is through it, I'll put it on the dyno to see what it does to the numbers. I think what I'll do is start a build thread just dealing with this upgrade, and I hope to get that started in the next couple of weeks.

End result?

I think that thisguys harness really is a simple and inexpensive way to do this upgrade. Like I said earlier, once I got past my problems, it really was a plug(solder)and play type of deal. A lot of work with the other parts of the install, but the wiring was just doing some soldering and you're done.

Unfortunately, the hesitation issue is something to to with a sensor in the system or the ecm. It wouldn't be a problem directly related to the wiring.

so who wants one? I got three ready to go! PETE?! lol:D

For anyone making their own harnesses. Here is a list of compatible VSS units I pulled off ebay. The Hesco one is like 120 bucks.
88-89DodgeD100
88-89DodgeD150
88-89DodgeD250
88-89DodgeD350
88-93DodgeDakota
88-89DodgeRamcharger
88-89DodgeW100
88-89DodgeW150
88-89DodgeW250
88-89DodgeW350
91-93JeepWrangler (YJ)

OK, so I need some help with a mpfi injection setup, and thought I would post in this thread since yall seem to have the figured out.

I have been working on a 4.0 head swap / OBD1 setup. I have a head/wiring from a junkyard 94 cherokee, and the CPS relocation kit from HESCO.

I started working on this sometime last fall and was able to get it running, but I have been working on a bunch of other stuff with the jeep, so it has been sitting for about 6 months now without running it too often, but always started up when I wanted to hear it run.

So at any rate, now that I have everything else on my Jeep put together, and am ready to start driving it, I can't get it to start, b/c I can't get the computer to send spark to the plugs.

When I run through the codes with the check engine light trick, I am getting the dreaded code 11 which is either the CPS or the cam sensor, but usually a problem with the CPS. But when I check the crankshaft position sensor it seems to be working correctly as I get these voltages:
orange wire: 8 volts (from pcm)
gray/black wire: 5 volts when sensor is not over a notch in the harmonic dampener, and close to zero volts when sensor is over a notch in the dampener

When I put a voltmeter on the gray/black wire where it goes into the pcm, the voltage varies when I try to crank, so the computer should be getting a signal from the crank sensor then right?

The cam sensor also seems to be working right, as the voltages check out on it too.

Anybody have any other ideas before I have to go buy a carburetor and get it running that way? Anybody with the HESCO relocation kit have any similar problems?

OK, so I need some help with a mpfi injection setup, and thought I would post in this thread since yall seem to have the figured out.

I have been working on a 4.0 head swap / OBD1 setup. I have a head/wiring from a junkyard 94 cherokee, and the CPS relocation kit from HESCO.

I started working on this sometime last fall and was able to get it running, but I have been working on a bunch of other stuff with the jeep, so it has been sitting for about 6 months now without running it too often, but always started up when I wanted to hear it run.

So at any rate, now that I have everything else on my Jeep put together, and am ready to start driving it, I can't get it to start, b/c I can't get the computer to send spark to the plugs.

When I run through the codes with the check engine light trick, I am getting the dreaded code 11 which is either the CPS or the cam sensor, but usually a problem with the CPS. But when I check the crankshaft position sensor it seems to be working correctly as I get these voltages:
orange wire: 8 volts (from pcm)
gray/black wire: 5 volts when sensor is not over a notch in the harmonic dampener, and close to zero volts when sensor is over a notch in the dampener

When I put a voltmeter on the gray/black wire where it goes into the pcm, the voltage varies when I try to crank, so the computer should be getting a signal from the crank sensor then right?

The cam sensor also seems to be working right, as the voltages check out on it too.

Anybody have any other ideas before I have to go buy a carburetor and get it running that way? Anybody with the HESCO relocation kit have any similar problems?

Did you leave the harness intact whole? Or did you start thinning it out on your own?

Thinned it out myself. Starting circuit still runs through the old solenoid, the ignition circuit goes through the PDC, with the ASD and fuel pump relays. Took out all the wiring except CPS, cam sensor, MAP, MAT, throttle position, vss, idle air control, and fuel injectors (its late might be forgetting something). All the grounds are run to a ground bus that is connected to the negative terminal of the battery, so I'm pretty sure its not a ground issue.

I have had the code 11 pop up before, but it has just been the Crank sensor getting bumped out of position. Move it back to where its supposed to be and it runs again. This time that doesnt seem to be the problem.

I thought maybe the computer might have fried, so I grabbed another one from the local pick n pull today, but it didnt change anything.

Appreciate all your help, hopefully we can get this figured out!

Thinned it out myself. Starting circuit still runs through the old solenoid, the ignition circuit goes through the PDC, with the ASD and fuel pump relays. Took out all the wiring except CPS, cam sensor, MAP, MAT, throttle position, vss, idle air control, and fuel injectors (its late might be forgetting something). All the grounds are run to a ground bus that is connected to the negative terminal of the battery, so I'm pretty sure its not a ground issue.

I have had the code 11 pop up before, but it has just been the Crank sensor getting bumped out of position. Move it back to where its supposed to be and it runs again. This time that doesnt seem to be the problem.

I thought maybe the computer might have fried, so I grabbed another one from the local pick n pull today, but it didnt change anything.

Appreciate all your help, hopefully we can get this figured out!

It's hard to say without having the vehicle in front of me.

So you are not getting spark now but you were at one point?

Yep, just not getting any spark. Seems like it should be the CPS, but everything checks out there. I can only think to check all my grounds to see if anything came loose.

Yep, just not getting any spark. Seems like it should be the CPS, but everything checks out there. I can only think to check all my grounds to see if anything came loose.

But at one point it ran? How well did it run? You can always send the harness to me to check out and test.

I need more information to troubleshoot. You may just have to call me when I get back from guard duty at the end if the month.

Well, I really appreciate the help, and I'm sure that we could get this figured out and running right, but I've just decided to simplify and put a carburetor back on it.

So at any rate, once I get the harmonic balancer off, if anyone thats been watching this thread is interested in trying one of thisguyuknow's harnesses (which work better than my harness did!), I will have all the other parts you need for the mpfi swap for sale, just make an offer!

- hesco harmonic balancer
- hesco CPS relocation kit
- hesco CPS (and OEM CPS)
- intake manifold
- fuel pump
- VSS sensor
- throttle position sensor
- idle air control
- MAP and MAT sensor
- 2 computers
- 4.0 distributor w/ cam position sensor
- fuel rail and injectors
- air intake and filter

Would be cool to see somebody else go through this process and figure out where I went wrong.

Well, I really appreciate the help, and I'm sure that we could get this figured out and running right, but I've just decided to simplify and put a carburetor back on it.

So at any rate, once I get the harmonic balancer off, if anyone thats been watching this thread is interested in trying one of thisguyuknow's harnesses (which work better than my harness did!), I will have all the other parts you need for the mpfi swap for sale, just make an offer!

- hesco harmonic balancer
- hesco CPS relocation kit
- hesco CPS (and OEM CPS)
- intake manifold
- fuel pump
- VSS sensor
- throttle position sensor
- idle air control
- MAP and MAT sensor
- 2 computers
- 4.0 distributor w/ cam position sensor
- fuel rail and injectors
- air intake and filter

Would be cool to see somebody else go through this process and figure out where I went wrong.

Hey man can you wait till after the 23rd to start tearing it apart? I promise you I can get your 4.0 running.

I have been reading these threads on the FI upgrade an am a bit confused about the transmission part of the upgrade. I will be running a T-19 in my Jeep, how does that affect the FI upgrade?

I have been reading these threads on the FI upgrade an am a bit confused about the transmission part of the upgrade. I will be running a T-19 in my Jeep, how does that affect the FI upgrade?

You will need to do one of four things:
Buy the hesco cps relocation kit that replaces the harmonic balancer with one that can excite the cps.

Replace your flywheel with one from a 4.0 and modify your current bh to mount the cps.

Replace your tranny and flywheel with ones from a 4.0

Advance adapters sells a Bh that works with some cj trannies.

PM to you shortly, TGYK... But I like the look of this swap more and more.

2 harnesses available. Both came from YJs. The YJ harnesses make for a cleaner install because the Yj and CJ engine compartments are very similar.

Attachments

• 20140714_171518.jpg
    20140714_171518.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 72

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks