Would Anyone Be Interested in Modified 4.0 Harnesses?

Would Anyone Be Interested in Modified 4.0 Harnesses?
sorry for the late reply, i was in oklahoma recovering the CJ5, the megasquirt would be patched into the harness in place of the ecu, direct replacement, for most makes and models i think the company can provide a pigtail to simply plug in and mount.

sorry for the late reply, i was in oklahoma recovering the CJ5, the megasquirt would be patched into the harness in place of the ecu, direct replacement, for most makes and models i think the company can provide a pigtail to simply plug in and mount.

Its up to you. If you want a 4.0 harness I can build you one. If you want to use the megasquirt with that or the 4.0 ecm that is up to you i guess. I can verify that the harness is working and good so as long as the megasquirt replaces the 4.0 ECM you should be ok.

k, this is going to be on down the road a bit but im definitely interested in how your project continues to evolve, keep the updates rolling :D

I dropped my cj off at jeff daniels jeep yesterday and got to talking to the owner. I told him that I had started building 4.0 conversion harnesses and he was actually pretty interested and said he might help me sell some if they are as nice as I say.

So I need someone to make another order lol so I can fix it up and show him what they look like:D

The shop is a few miles down the road from me but is apparently very well known.

I picked up 3 harnesses from part outs. They should be available for installs by the end of the month.

I'm sure tin will post up once he puts the finishing touches on his project. Last night after some user error issues were trouble shot (turns out that the vacuum hose on the MAP sensor is not a drain hose and serves a very important function :rolleyes:), the first harness has officially been installed and is functioning correctly.

This first one was a learning experience and I already see changes that need to be made in instructions and the wiring to make it a lot more user friendly for those with less wiring knowledge than myself.

I am thinking, that I will also offer the option of sending me your original complete engine harness so that I can integrate the 4.0 harness into your fuse block making so that the customer doesnt have to do any soldering or crimping on their own. I'd say that would probably add about 50 bucks in labor to the process.

So the prices would be as follows:

$150 plus shipping costs- You supply a 91-95 4.0 XJ,ZJ,YJ harness from a donor vehicle. This service will include removal of all unused wires, integration of the charging system for the OEM alternator, testing all wires for proper function, repair of any broken or cut wires, labelling, instructions, and my help trouble shooting installation.
$250 plus shipping- Same as above with the exception I provide the harness from a donor (so year and donor model will vary) and then same as above.

$50 optional- Remove your factory harness and unbolt the engine side of your fuse block and send it to me with either option above. Unused wiring will be removed from your OEM harness and the 4.0 harness will be integrated into so all the customer has to do is plug in all the connectors and fuse block, no soldering or crimping required.

Other Options- Free (within reason), if requested optional headlamp relay bypass integrated into the engine PDC (Relay box) , There are several relays and accessory power wires in the 4.0 PDC, these can be repurposed for other power needs upon request, just contact me with needs and we will see what we can do.

Note: You will need to acquire and install your own split loom conduit to cover all the wires, the reasons for this are a. Split loom is a little pricey to buy on an as needed basis and b. there are wires from the OEM harness that need to be retained, 4wd indicator, temp sender, etc. these wires need to be integrated into the engine loom before covering with split loom.

What makes my harnesses worth having?

1. Cleanliness. Once installed, the way I am setting these up it will look like you have one engine harness and not 2 cobbled together. All connections/ repairs will be soldered and not crimped with butt connectors, this will ensure a better connection and reduce the risk of failure due to corrosion.

2. The alternator integration and retention of the PDC. (I am not knocking HESCO as they make an excellent and quality product) Using the HESCO harness as an example of a manufactured conversion harness, it does not include the physical PDC (relay/fuse center) that is in the oem harness. Their harnesses piggy back on your OEM sytstem. By retaining the OEM PDC in these harnesses we achieve several things.
a. All you fuses and relays are in one spot just like the OEM application
b. unused relays/fuses can be repurposed for other accessories, such as headlamp relay bypass, heated seats, inverters, etc.
C. The most important advantage in my mind. The charging system is relocated from your fender solenoid to the PDC. The advantage of this is you now will have 2 60a maxi fuses (120a system capacity) protecting your chargin ckt. In the oem application this is protected by a fusible link wire which you have to cut out and replace if you ever blow the system, that requires cutting and soldering and can be a PITA. Now if something is wrong it will blow one or both of the fuses and all you have to do is unplug and replace them once the issue is fixed.

Thats my Spiel. Stay tuned for more information and pics of the first harness install on Tin's Jeep.

Update on my end of the deal-

Like thisguy said(in a nicer way), had I not personally messed up two crucial pieces of the install, it would have been hooked up and started first turn of key.

First issue I had was the connection of the hesco CPS connector-Crank Sensor Connector #56016983 | Hesco, pretty poor instructions, especially for someone who has never used that type of connector. I wasn't getting a ground to the coil, which was due to the miswired CPS, but got that fixed and it started right up.

Second issue was after it started, it would only run at idle for maybe 5 seconds then die. If you played with the throttle it would stay running, but poorly and with lots of smoke. After being informed that the MAP actually needed to be plumbed to the intake(I thought it was just a type of drain tube coming out the bottom!), it started running great.

So far, all the wires are just twisted together and the alternator is not hooked up, along with no belt or radiator, but it runs! Over the next few days I'll get everything connected properly and cleaned up, then post some pics so that all can see the final product.

awesome man, congrats. good to see progress and i hope thisguy gets alot of buisness here.

3 harnesses are currently available if anyone is interested.

If someone is willing to be a guinea pig for an OBDII 97-98 or an OBDII 99+ with the distributorless system, I would be willing to do the harness at a discounted rate since I have never tried one and would like to be able to expand these conversion harnesses to those years.

petescj, i think that is all you, you know that beastly Laredo you have needs some 4.0 injection goodness! Ill even come up your way and help you install it.

Last edited:
petescj, i think that is all you, you know that beastly Laredo you have needs some 4.0 injection goodness! Ill even come up your way and help you install it.

I cant find time to do the things I have planned now and you wanna add on :wtf:

I cant find time to do the things I have planned now and you wanna add on :wtf:

Ill drive out your way and help you turn a wrench or two if you come out and help me get the nv3550 into my rig.

Ill drive out your way and help you turn a wrench or two if you come out and help me get the nv3550 into my rig.

When are you planning this?

I dunno, never hurts to ask. I am not just gonna show up at your door unannounced lol

:laugh: No no I meant when are you planning on the nv3550 swap?

:laugh: No no I meant when are you planning on the nv3550 swap?

Oh, well.the tpi project keeps throwing me curve balls, I just got moved into an actual garage last week. Probably next month, if I can get the tpi tuned, I'm hoping to start the process.

Just an update on my install of thisguys harness-
Everything is pretty much in, minus just a few loose ends, and it's all working great! I hooked up the headlight relays tonight, was a pretty easy job and worked perfectly.

Here is where I mounted the ECM-

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 129
Here is where I mounted the PDC-

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 82
Just an update on my install of thisguys harness-
Everything is pretty much in, minus just a few loose ends, and it's all working great! I hooked up the headlight relays tonight, was a pretty easy job and worked perfectly.

Here is where I mounted the ECM-

The headlamp relay is built into the PDC that tin shows in his pic above so it is all one harness and not two

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks