Would Anyone Be Interested in Modified 4.0 Harnesses?

Would Anyone Be Interested in Modified 4.0 Harnesses?

ThisGuyUKnow

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 Laredo 4.0,Nv3550,D300 Twin Stick,AMC20 3.31, 31 BFG
Honda vtx1800c
So just a thought would anyone be interested in 4.0 Harnesses from donor vehicles thinned out to be as close to plug and play as possible? there are a lot of variables such as if you wanted to run a 258, 258 with 4.0 head, swap in a 4.0, the list goes on but I have reached a level of self proclaimed wiring knowledge where I think I can make kits for people with a little input as to what they want there final configuration to be.

I am thinking mostly 91-95 obd1 yjs,xjs,or zjs would be the most common. 96plus would be doable but more complicated.

I am thinking I can either go to the local pick and pulls out local part outs to harvest harnesses or to cut down costs someone who was interested could send me a harness they pull from a donor so long as they don't damage it too much.

Just a thought. I couild use some side cash and I know I can make the harnesses for a fraction of what they cost from painless and hesco.

I think I might. If I could get everything from the salvage yard for $100-$200, how much more money is needed to do the rest of the job, minus your cost? I'm just looking for a rough number. I've already got the 4.0 head on the 4.2, but I'm running a 2100.

Every time I look at my wiring harness I cringe. Once I nail down exactly what I want Id definatelybe interested. :chug:

I think I might. If I could get everything from the salvage yard for $100-$200, how much more money is needed to do the rest of the job, minus your cost? I'm just looking for a rough number. I've already got the 4.0 head on the 4.2, but I'm running a 2100.

Well Tin. I am not sure what your final configuration would be. If you are running a 258 era tranny you will need to purchase a CPS relocation kit from Hesco that replaces the harmonic balancer. If you are running a 4.0 era tranny you can muount the cps to the tranny in the stock location. You will also need a fuel pump. Those are the only two items I can think of that can't be harvested from the Donor.

Everything else should come from the 4.0 donor. If you pulled a harness to send to me, You need to not cut anything unless absolutely necessary You want to leave the harness intact as much as possible. Only cut it where it goes into the cab (if you can't unplug it )

The way I will wire it is using the PDC under the hood from the donor so if you pull the harness correctly we can eliminate the cj's original starter solenoid and run the alternator and starter through the new PDC.

To answer your question, minus my cost if you pulled everything from the JY for 200 like you said, you would be looking at the cost of the fuel pump and CPS relocation kit.

Cool, I'll start looking into finding the parts.

What about the distributor? I've got an aftermarket HEI, can I still use it?

You want to use the 4.0 distributor, the MPFI controls the timing

Well I guess you could keep the HEI but you would be losing one of the major benefits of MPFI. Electronic Spark Control is more efficient than a vacuum control advance.

hey tin ,pm me I think maybe we should get on the phone and talk about this. if you think this might be anear future project for you maybe we can kinda do a trial run on your jeep. if like to see what kinda turn around I can do in these between my job and own jeep projects.

hey tin ,pm me I think maybe we should get on the phone and talk about this. if you think this might be anear future project for you maybe we can kinda do a trial run on your jeep. if like to see what kinda turn around I can do in these between my job and own jeep projects.

Will do

Any photos of what one of your harnesses look like? What's the price?

Any photos of what one of your harnesses look like? What's the price?

No I don't yet. I made this thread to gauge interest.

I haven't gotten as far as a price yet, what do you guys think is reasonable? Would 150 for the harness modification be fair? That would get you a harness with everything labeled to splice into your CJ harness. If I have to go to the junkyard and find a harness you can just pay me one for one on the parts that the pick and pull or partout charges me.

This will kinda give you an idea of the end result. This is the thread I did on my first attempt to inject my 258 with 4.0 electronics. it was successfull but I didnt completely thin out the wiring harness as much as I'd like to with any future ones I make. http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/4-0-head-mpfi-serpentine-my-82-258-a-5083/index10.html

i had a pretty long conversation with tinman on the phone last night. I think he still has a few things to figure out on his project but if all goes well, he may be willing to be the guinea pig for one of these harnesses.

Alright Gents, TinMAN has agreed to be the guinea pig for this. He sent me a 91 4.0 Cherokee harness a few days ago and I got it sitting in my kitchen.

If all goes well and I get some time I should be able to clean up and label the harness. The real question is can I thin out the harness and then send it to someone to install on their own and get it right the first time.

The Xj harness just needs 5 wires to fire (if I remember correctly) .... Meaning if you pulled it out of a donor and were careful you would really need to make zero modification to the harness to make it work. You would just need to id those wires. I could help anyone with that for free if they wanted.

What I am going to do with the harness for tin, is remove all the extra un needed wiring and try to ID unused relays and fuses in the PDC that can be used to relay the headlamps, fogs, winch ETC.

I've got the stock dyno numbers, then after the 4.0 head went on, and I'll put it on again once the FI is done. That should give us a great idea of what each one brings to the table.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks