Willys Wagon part II

Willys Wagon part II
Besides the carb, I gave you the manifold which was attached to it.
If you think the carb is hard to find the manifold is that much harder to find.
If you open the throttle plate it’s a clear shot through, chances are it was just some rust from inside surface of the steel manifold.
When I gave Bass a carb he just said thank you :).

Manifold? Now I'm confused. It all looks like carburetor to me. The cast part on the bottom has the throttle and some jets in it, the top has the float and the choke. I'm accustomed to all being in one unit. Great packing job, by the way.

Today it was pulled from the cleaning fluid. All looks very good, it's almost ready for repair, then off to the rebuilder.

Yes, the bottom section with a passage for two adjustments screws = manifold. It also has a throttle lever, but no jets.
Yes, they go missing, and the carb is not complete without it. I have a YF carb in my parts bin without a manifold, I sent you the complete one.
As you know I sent you pictures and a description of the carb and how dirty it was before I sent it out.
This carb will clean up and work well for you, it was free, and I also told you that I would pay to ship the carb to you, which I did.

Easy now I think you are taking this all wrong, I'm pleased with your help. Non of this was a complaint. Nothing about the carb was a surprise or a disappointment. The red dust did nothing but make me smile. All of the questions were nothing but gathering information and trying to say thank you. Other parts of the conversation were and should be handled off the open board. Please read my posts, the carb is cleaned up and will be sent off for a professional rebuild. When it comes to carb's I'm not good at all. You don't need to pay the shipping cost, I said I'd reimburse you for it, now that I have it I will. Thank you and lets leave it at that.

I've heard good and bad about this. Willys American lists the Scout II axle as the very best replacement for the stock axles. Local shops and folks that have done it like them. There are so many things that are "right" about the Scout axles it seems to be a natural. Of course on the Oldwillys forum there are naysayers about the Scout II axle. Primarily related to caster angle, which according to several folks is 0* and adding shims or welding on new perches is Baaaaadd. Of course those guys are into lifts, big tires and relatively HUGE horsepower. I want to stay stock low, and reliably go. ..... So, I now have a set of front disk brake Scout II axles. No, big movement in upgrading the Wagon is in the cards yet. Eventually it will happen though.

HH what size are the wheels on the wagon? What size tires are you going with?

Mine has 15" rims. Stock wheels for Wagons were either 15" or 16" with ~5" rims. I'm not considering the ever popular big fatties on modern 4x4's. The old 4x4's deserve to look like old 4x4's so I'm thinking 215/85/R-16LT's.

Re: scout front axles.

Nothing wrong with cutting and rewelding perches or shimming or whatnot, just be aware that this will leave your pinion pointing about 5-7 degrees down at the dirt. To really do it right, you could also cut and turn the inner 'C's, which is a pain, but doable. The scout axle under my 7 had ridiculously thick tubes, I dunno if they were all that way but I bet they were 1/2" wall maybe more, plenty of beef to experiment on. Also CJ Dana 30 disc stuff will bolt up to these pretty easy if that's a consideration.

Dave

Dave - Yeah I got schooled on the OldWillys forum about cutting and rotating the inner C's We will see what I end up doing. It's still a mystery for me. And you are right the axles are heavy S.O.B.'s. I admit to struggling with the front axles a bit

Man I'm beat! The guy I bought the axles from delivered them tonight. They were on a trailer, the wheels and old FLAT tires were still on the axles, one axle still had the springs on it. He wanted the tires/rims. So he essentially stood around while I unloaded them, since the tires had a big old flat spot on them, they had to be dragged to the yard. Yes, I know I bought them from him and it was my responsibility. Being raised in the country I can not just stand around and watch someone work, he obviously had no problem with it. Not only that he was pushing me along because he needed to get to a ball game. Well, excuse ME. I was dragging them, then beating the rusted bolts off with my impact driver to pull HIS rims, then he took the lug nuts claiming they were his. Then he noticed the front drive shaft yoke was still attached to the differential and he absolutely NEEDED that. Of course he stood and watched me remove the universal joint without lifting a single finger. Oh Yeah he had balls enough to complain that I might have lost some of his needle bearings from a bearing cap. ..... "I haven't got all night!" ..... WELL EXCUSE ME! I didn't say you had to rush over, I said there was no hurry! Then he complained that I removed the "Wanted Add" I had on Craigslist for the axles. I said in the add, "If the add is posted I am still looking for axles." In the end I pulled all the lug nuts from the rear axle, dropped them on the ground as they came off and told him, if you want'em pick them up yourself. ...... I did all this with a Boot on my broken foot. It was my intension to be cheerful about it, but I failed miserably. He said, "I like your Wagon let me know how it looks when you are done." My response, "Don't hold your breath." ......... There, I feel better now! But the axles are very clean, I think they will do.

Don't let that AH get to you.........:chug:
Bet you'll do more to your Jeep, than he ever has.
LG

Lumpy - I'm not dwelling on it. He was actually superficially pleasant enough. This episode won't spoil the day, I was just a little frustrated and needed to vent a little. In a way it was nice to prove to myself that I actually can physically work hard. :) I probably will do more to my jeep than he will, he's an old Scout guy.

This morning I' a little sorry to have whined about the guy, on the surface he was very decent, his asking price was a little more than I wanted to spend ($550 with an extra $25 for delivery), but the axles are in very decent condition.

How it was going to go was obvious when I pulled the money out of the bank envelope and he was worried about not having his special counterfeit money pen with him. Remember, he was standing in my front yard at the time. It's not like he didn't know where to send the counterfeit money cops. His aggression was a little more passive, little comments, "I don't have all night." ..... "Those lug nuts are mine." When I said they actually are mine he just smiled and stuck the nuts in his pocket. "I don't want to argue about it. "When I asked if he got all his wood wheel blocks, "Got 'em, I couldn't afford your legal costs." WHAT DID YOU SAY! "Strong hand shake, you don't have to crush my hand." BS His hand shake wasn't a weak little girly hand shake, I could have been much more agressive.

Last edited:
I hate Photo Bucket for pulling such a dirty trick. There are several threads that have been lost. Honestly, turning the axles sort of scares me to death. Sure I can take the axles apart and I can weld, but properly installing ball joints and accurately measuring is another story all together.

HH-That knot-head sounds like a true 'snowflake', with many other issues I'm sure.
You did good! :notworthy:
My ans to the lug nut deal would have been-'You should have taken them off then'......LOL:laugh:
Hope you got a signed receipt from him.
LG

We talked about a receipt but in the end didn't do it. I really don't think he's really all that bad, he was just in a big hurry. He never should have tried to get it done in the time he had. I told him there was no big hurry, but he needed the money for truck repairs.

This evening I cracked the rear diff. Of course .. rust and 3.09 gears. No big deal really, eventually an Eaton Tru Trac will eventually go in it anyway.

After replacing several parts fuel pump, oil and fuel lines, the oil filter I hot wired the coil, turned on the electric fuel pump and placed the fuel line in a gas can. After hearing the float bowl fill I set the choke circuit, pumped the gas pedal a few times and hit the starter pedal. The engine didn't turn over once and it was running! Not well but it was running. A few more pumps and another hit on the starter. Once all the cylinders hit the engine actually ran fairly well, as it burned off the oil I put in the cylinders it kept running better and better. I'm impressed with the little engine.

So have you figured out yet what you want to do yet engine wise with your wagon ?

Honestly, I am conflicted on that very issue. A huge part of me wants to keep the Wagon as close to stock as is possible. Therefore I want to drive the wagon in its nearly stock form to see exactly what I have. But, I also want to use the wagon on a regular basis. If it performs as advertised intellectually I have to come to terms with the idea that it will not perform well in todays 65-75 mph environment. When making plans for a more than likely future I will end up with a nice little 190-200 hp Vortec 4.3L V6, Scout axles with Tru Trac Limited slip carrier and a T-18A transmission, possibly the T-15 in my CJ.

Dave - Yeah I got schooled on the OldWillys forum about cutting and rotating the inner C's We will see what I end up doing. It's still a mystery for me. And you are right the axles are heavy S.O.B.'s. I admit to struggling with the front axles a bit

I did mine in my garage with a couple other tricks for the diff angle. When you are ready send me a message and I can call you and talk all about it step by step. My Scrambler drives straight and true. I can send you all my pics and the original thread in on this site somewhere but without the pics.

I'm thinking VERY seriously about selling this Wagon. Why? Honestly it's to good, to much of a survivor. What I want to do would destroy it's originality. What I need is a Wagon that has already been compromised, usually with a repower of some kind. So, I'm thinking about moving her on to someone that will truly respect what she is.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks