Willys Wagon part II

Willys Wagon part II
That tank is for run'n 'shine'. :laugh:
LG

Looks a little like a satellite fuel tank !

It does look like something from an aircraft, like an Oxygen tank. When I was in the service occasionally you'd see tanks like that at a plane crash, that is if it didn't burn. ....

I like the moonshine angle. :) Feels like something you'd see Tickle do on Moonshiners.

HH, can you PM me your email or number. I would like to send out a pic of the carb before mailing it out.

Also, I noticed that you sent a message, there was a notification on the top right of my page but its no longer there. I'm assuming there is a message and private message system setup on this site?

I shot you my mailing address in a PM, did you get it?

E-mail address is on the way in a PM as well.

Edit: I'm seeing where you might not have gotten the PM. On this computer I have to jump through an extra hoop to post anything, I probably missed the extra step.

Last edited:
Got it thanks.

Not sure if you knew this already but your missing a grill bar.

Well look at that, I knew the grill bars varied in number from 5 to 3 so I wasn't paying much attention while working on other problems. Now it is plain as day the top bar is missing. That's why it's always good to have other eyes look at a problem. Nobody on the Oldwillys forum said a word about the missing bar. .... :) now every time I look at the grill the missing bar screams at me ... "I'm Missing!" :)

5 bar = 1950-53

I'll look around the shop to see if I have an extra bar. I do have some complete wagon/truck grills but I rather not slit them up. If I have an extra bar I'll send it along with the carb.

If I don't have one. Or maybe someone has an extra on the oldwillys forum.
https://www.ebay.com/i/192340407267?chn=ps&dispctrl=1

Edit: in the link above the bottom bar in the picture goes on the top of the grill.

Last edited:
Don't break up a grill set. I've got a local line on grill parts and will look at them this afternoon. One advantage is the grill bars on the older Wagons are not stainless steel or plated, even a cruddy one can be cleaned and repainted.

I don't know if there is a peaked one in the pieces I'm interested in so who knows what will be there.

Months ago I purchased a book of parts and specific models from Willys America, invaluable reference material for anyone working on a Wagon or a pick up truck. :) the only problem is now I absolutely know what trim is appropriate for my year. Why is that a problem? If the wrong trim is added other Wagon guys and I know it's WRONG. In some instances ignorance truly is bliss.

Last edited:
After a little searching, really darned little, I now have a nicely sand blasted top grill bar. .....

I knew the grill bars varied in number from 5 to 3
Just to clarify, the Willys trucks and wagons came with either 5 or 3, never 4.
50-53 = 5 bars
54 = 3 bars
56 = 3 bars that were not evenly spaced
57 up = back to 3 even spaced bars like in 54

Yes, mine has the early 5 bar set-up, mine was missing the top (peaked) bar. Willys Works had some in the grill storage area so I have what the bar. Since my grill bars are not chrome plated, Rob was good enough to let me use his sand blasting cabinet to clean the layers of old paint off. Last night I laid a coat of primer on it to keep the rust gremlins away. Since the only access is through the grill bars, the trick will be finding a way to mount it without removing the radiator.

I knew there were either 3 or 5 bars, but was trying to be brief in the post. Didn't know about the spacing being uneven, but it wasn't an issue for my Wagon.

Last edited:
Look what fell out from under my Wagon after 15 minutes with a Saws-All. The yellow tank was a retrofitted water tank. According to the text on the tank it was an oxygen tank. It looks just like an aircraft O2 tank to me. The fuel tank is an orphan tank donated from who knows what. After getting accustomed to the tanks under the Wagon now it looks almost empty under there.

Attachments

• IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 90
I think you should keep the tank for a big air horn Every jeep needs an air horn :)

With it being an old O2 tank it is built to take some VERY serious pressure. A smaller one would make a great on board air storage tank.

Edit: The fuel tank is on the ground and inspected. Surprisingly enough the tank is in fairly decent condition inside.

Last edited:
A shout out to Posi! Got the carb today. I think it will be very usable. One question for you. Do you have VERY red dirt in your neck of the woods? Out of the packaging the Carb looked like it was covered in rust. On initial inspection about a teaspoon full of red rust looking dust or dirt came out of it. On closer inspection it was clear that the carb wasn't rusty. Now for a serious cleaning, a repair and a professional rebuild.

Good to hear it arrived.
No red dust or mud in my area
Maybe red paint over spray on top of dirt and oil?
No telling how long it was in my parts bin, what Willys F-134 it came off of, or what state it was in before it got to me.
I did spray some kroil on the ID # so as to give you the correct year YF carb (50-51).
I am glad I was able to help.

Sounds like maybe that carb came home and that is some Sedona dirt

It looks and feels very much like Sedona dust. The stuff appeared when I turned it upside down and opened the throttle during my initial inspection (no, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, I'm thrilled). The top is off to expose the float area and blow out the passages. That is where the dust seems to have come from. There was quite a pile of it. It's odd, I can't really explain what it is. No matter, the thing is blown clean, everything seems to be there and everything seems to work, it is soaking in Carburetor cleaner as we speak.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks