Willys Wagon part II

Willys Wagon part II

Hedgehog

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
-1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch
-1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock
After much searching and some quitting on the search, then following a hunch I am not a hand shake owner of a 1951 Willys Wagon. The old girl is practically rust free with a small hole in the drivers side floor board. All the usual rust spots are clean. Even the wood floor rails along with the seats are practically perfect. The deal is set for $2500. I am pleased to be absolutely broke for the next few years.

HH glad you finally found what you were looking for ! Post up some pictures when you get it home.

I would but PhotoBucket doesn't seem to work anymore. Any suggestions on posting pictures?

I would but PhotoBucket doesn't seem to work anymore. Any suggestions on posting pictures?

No idea. Never have figured it out on this forum.

I don’t know if flikr is still around. But they host. I use tapatalk for the forums I follow and it hosts pics for me.

I did use Tapatalk but something crapped out with it and I never went back. The other forum you and I are on banned it also. That place is easy to do pictures from an iPad, phone or computer with no hosting, and pictures off your electronic device

I did use Tapatalk but something crapped out with it and I never went back. The other forum you and I are on banned it also. That place is easy to do pictures from an iPad, phone or computer with no hosting, and pictures off your electronic device

Agreed. But on “that site” ;) you have to be a paying member to make it so that the site hosts the pic. But it is easy enough that way.

Agree. Cheap price to pay to do pictures. I was actually able to post them before I started paying also though.

Getting excited to drag the old girl home. Pulled the wheels to get a set of tires that hold air. I'll probably get a set of used tires, the type the old Willys likes are tall and skinny just like those the new truck owners can't remove from their vehicle fast enough. Since I'm not sure what direction I'm going in cheap tires seem like the right way to go.

Since the wagon is surprisingly stock and supposedly running the last time they used it .... :) of course it was running the last time they drove it. That's kind of like saying, "I found it the last place I looked." All I can say at this point is the engine is free and turns over using the bottom pulley. When we pulled the wheels all the hubs turned freely. .......

Also, the sun plays deadly tricks on the plastic they used back then. The window crank nob looked great. I grabbed it to try the windows and it turned to dust in my hand. :( I see where the handles are available, but other than the nob the handle is in great condition. Maybe I can make new nobs ..... maybe a drilled and glued ball of some kind ..... Hmmmmm maybe a kitchen drawer pull. I bet one of those will work.

Similar to this board, does anyone know or frequent a similar Willys Wagon board? :) Maybe I can wear out my welcome there too. ;)

Love the excitement. I am trying to wait patiently for a family friend to be ready to sell me his 49 CJ2a. Some times it is very hard

POSI - found it, I'm there. The board seems friendly, I hope to learn much. Are you over there?

Edit: already learned something. The drivers side lug nuts and studs are reverse threaded. After tightening the nuts to far the OP grabbed the lug wrench from me and turned them the other way. He wouldn't let me touch the wrench again. BUMMER! I didn't want to wrestle those darned nuts off anyways. WINNER!

Excitement is right! Since the OP knew nothing or little about the Wagon, except for the lug nut thing, it will be great fun to find out what I really have. A lot of those old wagons had overdrive units, I don't believe it has one, but it will be fun to find out. ..... then there will great joy the first time it actually starts. I know a carb rebuild, new fuel pump and electronic distributer are in its future. .... I don't trust points. Oh yeah the fuel lines and gas tank are ??????????

Last edited:
Yes, was there when they first open the doors. I've owned a dozen or so Willys trucks and wagons over the years.
FYI, earler CJ 's have DS left hand threads as well

Yes, I remembered that the minute he spun the wrench the other way. Several old vehicles were like that. I wonder how many lug nuts are snapped off by todays mechanics.

To make life easier for you, do you go by the same name over there? I'm using the same handle as here.

OOps placed this in my original thread on Wagons by mistake, will transfer all posts about the new Wagon here:

Me: Trailered my Wagon home last night. It does look good. There are a couple oddities on it. It has a second gas tank under the floor behind the drivers seat. You can tell it was a different world back in 1951. The tank fills from INSIDE the cab. Roll the drivers seat forward and there's the filler cap. There also is a pressurized water tank next to the fuel tank. Fill it or I suppose back fill it through a hose spigot/valve, then add pressure in a Schrader/air valve located behind the stick shift. The tank looks like it will hold well over 5 gallons of water. Can't say as It would be drinking water though. I really don't know what it would be used for, if it were a Forest Service vehicle I suppose you could put a camp or other small fire out with it.

Lumpy: HH-Is this tank OEM??
LG

Belizean: Maybe they were thinking about bugging out back then !

Me: Lumpy - I'm getting conflicting information on whether it or they are factory installed. Some Wagons DID get an additional fuel tank behind the drivers seat, but about all I can find is mention of it. Nothing else. Over on the OldWillys board there is a thread on an additional tank, but it's mostly a picture thread. Unfortunately Photobucket screwed that one up completely.

As far as the water tank, a big yellow peanut shaped thing, is concerned nobody is saying a single word about it. As evidenced by a black tag from the factory on the glove compartment it is a "Government Service" vehicle for the Marine Corp., Forest Service or GSA. Who knows what they might have specified on their construction sheet.

I'm doing this for the pictures only. I've got pictures in the link.

New 1951 Willys Wagon Owner

I'm itching to start work on it, but some VERY sage jeep folks are telling me NOT to touch it until I have the title transferred and in my name.

There is some oddness with this title and Arizona law is VERY strict on titling a vehicle ASAP after purchase, even on a vehicle that is not drivable. ... It has been washed and there is a set of .... "4 corner tires" .... on it. 4 corner meaning, good enough to keep the 4 corners off the ground. I have called the Police Department and they assure me that the title and the plates, which matches the vehicle, are not from a stolen vehicle. The title is in the previous owners name, I've also talked to him and he's good with the sale. So far everything checks out correctly.

Last edited:
Left hand threaded wheel studs have an "L" stamped in the end of the stud.
Very common back in the day, by many car makers.
Agree 110% about get'n the title cleared before work($$$)are started.
LG

The title is now in my name .... The old girl is now MINE ... ALL MINE! Unfortunately so is the nearly $1,000 worth of parts heading my way. I'm considering this to be a first installment. Interior, out-terior, engine-terior to help make the old 4 cylinder all hot and stinky again. I'm all excited again. .... I should buy some parts to help make the thing STOP-terior too.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks