PO did What?

PO did What?
82 CJ7. Making it simple. How about using Allen wrenches under bolts to hold down the valve cover under the washer and nut on the intake side of my 256. That's normal right?

82 CJ7. Making it simple. How about using Allen wrenches under bolts to hold down the valve cover under the washer and nut on the intake side of my 256. That's normal right?

Sure it’s normal...... in their head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had to replace the Throttle return spring because the PO took the original Carter spring and stretched it from the Weber he installed all the way to the brake power booster and zip tied it in place. I am actually surprised it still had any spring left in it it was so badly stretched.

Man where do I start. Supposedly rebuilt the motor. MULTIPLE loose and or missing bolts. One bolt holding a motor mount in. Brackets loose. Oil pan missing four bolts. Oil pump had one bolt backing out. Sway bar bolts loose. And I haven’t even gotten it all the way apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the valve stem caps didn't match... it was awful.

81 CJ7 - Apparently at some point the PO decided that a big blob of RTV around the end of the throttle cable was what was called for to keep the end connected to the throttle bracket on the carb. Now I have the bailing wire solution until my new throttle cable gets here and I can fix it right.

PO thought house wiring would be just fine for everything, it had been running on 5 cyls due to an ingestion problem, and one (front left) brake was engaging. Talk about a fun ride . . .
Posted via a mobile device.

Here is one I just found, that makes me ask Why?

Attachments

• IMG_5728.jpg
    IMG_5728.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5727.jpg
    IMG_5727.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 51
Here is one I just found, that makes me ask Why?

I know, right? I mean, why scratch up the paint in the back of the tub like that?????

Sent from deep within a bad case of mugginess...

I would guess that someone tried to get to the fuel gauge/pickup. That's about where it is. I've done some careful measuring and cut a hole there, but not quite as crude and then put a patch on it with screws so anyone could get to it again if needed. A lot easier than dropping the tank.

I would guess that someone tried to get to the fuel gauge/pickup. That's about where it is. I've done some careful measuring and cut a hole there, but not quite as crude and then put a patch on it with screws so anyone could get to it again if needed. A lot easier than dropping the tank.

That’s actually what I guessed. It is directly over the sending unit, but it is butchered up. The tank isn’t that hard to drop.

I’ll have to drop the tank and break out the welder to fix it properly.

I remember my biggest WTF PO moment was when I saw what he did to install the Howell TBI kit. Instead of getting rid of all the old wiring, he just spliced in the new harness leaving a massive bundle of wires, most of which weren't connected to anything. Had to spend the whole day trying to clean up the PO's mess.

Last edited:
I doubt anyone has seen this before.
Found this when I was doing a clutch job.

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

I feel kinda lucky that my CJ5 was 99% stock, it was just a trail Jeep for so many years that there is plenty of bondo and that paint that went over it is all cracked and chipped. No diamond plate to hide anything and even the engine compartment looked stock just with a remanufactured engine.

The little things they did do were putting 2x6 board to hold speakers and hinge the back seat to. There's a power amp under it too. Nice storage compartment though. And the trail-fixed wiring on the tail light - strip the wires and twist them together. Fixed that wiring this morning. Three wires total, blinker, running light, and turn signal.

Wow...... What a pleasant surprise. My hubs came equipped with an enhanced, multi-layered backspace adjuster. It's like Easter egg hunting. Never know what you'll find in the next place you look.5f2352c79f883f22cf8fde6acee0625b.jpg

Sent from the man cave using Tapatalk

Were they at least all the same thickness? LOL

Sent while wondering where all the CCW’s were in Texas

“I heard something fall off but I couldn't see it in the rearview mirror so it didn't happen.” - JeeperChris

The PO had the inline fuel pump on the frame near the transmission, then he ran the hose up over the valve cover to the TBI on the other side. Thought this could be causing some of my fuel issues, so I positioned the pump/filter further back towards the tank, then re-ran the hose, so it isn't higher than the TBi.

It appears that the PO allowed an angry family of Badgers to live in my "new" Jeep while he owned it. It also appears that at least one of them was an aspiring auto electrician with some serious anger issues.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks