PO did What?

PO did What?
Ok so my 83 CJ7 had 3 fully wired wiper motors ziptied under the dash. The floors were redone fairly well before anyone(me) tried to redo the body mounts that were t there that leads to why i had to sell the hardtop that was 4 inches to long ect.

What? We need to see pictures of the motors lol are they wired to the wiper switch?

Ha ha nope they just quick clipped the new one next to the old and pushed it up n in. I can say i pulled a 5 gallon bucket of wires that went nowhere.
Unreal how they never started a fire.

OK, as I've posted before I'm one of those PO's often mentioned here. I know I almost always cut the corners in my "shady tree" auto repairs. I just can't help it, sometimes it's beyond my control. But most times I just can't justify taking the long way home. I just want to get there asap. Why bother doing it the "right way" when "my way" will achieve my goal, "keeping on trucking". BTW I'm not ever seeking admiration from the general public. Although I get this about twice a month when I'm out someplace with my cj, "hey man I like Your old jeep", maby they do or maby they are being sarcastic. And I still get the "jeep wavy" on the highway. Example: I cut a hole in the heater box to replace heater core then duct taped it back together, saving about six hours aggravation doing it the right way. I've done lots of stuff "my way" after all It's still "my" jeep, so I'm not quite the PO yet. DON'T TAKE ALL THIS THE WRONG WAY. To each his own.

I get what your sayin!! I have never met anyone other than a shop owner do things by the book. I think what this thread is about the shade tree guys who are short on leaves in their trees.
I have time now in the winter to go thru,fix,repair any thing that could leave me stranded and walkin with my copilot and the I Told Ya So!! speach.
And yup i was,Iam and will be again the PO but as Lord Jeepus as my witness i really do try to make my repairs better than i found them.

This might be my favorite thread. After reading some of the posts I've experienced a wide range of emotions... from uncontrollable laughter to incredible fear. But it’s been fun!
One thing I’d like to point out that I haven’t seen mentioned yet is the fact that if it wasn’t for stupid POs, many of these Jeeps wouldn’t be available.
The worst part of course is undoing all the previous blunders but think how good it is for the economy. With all those new parts, it keeps America working!

I keep looking for something to add to this thread... fortunately, the one PO left my '86 CJ7 virtually bone stock except for the Weber carb.

I, on the other hand, have sold the doors, wheels, hard top, seats and the seat belts which have paid for a lot of the work I've done. I've probably lost some purist resale value, but it wasn't what I was going for. I do try to do things right and in a quality fashion.

Don't plan on ever selling it anyway...

I keep looking for something to add to this thread...

Luckily, I too have had little to add..... Even though mine had been heavily diddled with when I got it, most of what had been done had been done well. I had to rework very little of it. And anti-seize had been used liberally, so that helped as well. The patch panel used to cover the hole from the Wrangler fuel filler is a whole nuther story.

I do try to do things right and in a quality fashion.

I hear ya - I didn't want to wind up with a bone stock CJ, so it didn't bother me this one wasn't. At this point, whatever the PO(s) didn't swap out, I have......

Sent from shower using Tapatalk

The PO of my '77 had the pcv port on the carb plumed to the brake booster and the brake booster port plumed to the pcv. He also gutted the roll over valve and charcoal canister.

I'm replacing the body mounts. It's the first time I've spent more than a few minutes under the vehicle. Lots of rust at the joints. Joints are soft and "chewy". Tug tug pull. WFT?! Not a single weld in the body, all of the panels are held together with caulking. Wheel wells, side panels, end panel, corners.

I'm replacing the body mounts. It's the first time I've spent more than a few minutes under the vehicle. Lots of rust at the joints. Joints are soft and "chewy". Tug tug pull. WFT?! Not a single weld in the body, all of the panels are held together with caulking. Wheel wells, side panels, end panel, corners.

Oooh - This one ranks high on the dumb list. Maybe top three......

My dog just sent this for me using Tapatalk.....

Your lucky you didn't hit a good bump and have the hole body fall apart on the ground. Now that would be embarrassing.

Look at the positive side... if not for the idiots messing up nice Jeeps, the endless supply of cheap projects would dry up overnight. The local hardware store would go broke. All sorts of horrible things would happen.
All hail the dumbasses!

Besides other crazy stuff, my PO welded the front bumper and front homemade steel guard directly to the frame. It took me a whole day to cut, saw and grind just to get to the original frame so I could start over. Who knows why?

Besides other crazy stuff, my PO welded the front bumper and front homemade steel guard directly to the frame. It took me a whole day to cut, saw and grind just to get to the original frame so I could start over. Who knows why?

Probly bought a new welder and had to try it out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel your pain. I have a aftermarket rear bumper installed and I don't like it. Problem is someone welded it on in a few spots!! It doesn't look bad but if I wanted to put bumperettes on or tube bumpers (that were very popular in the 80s) I can't just unbolt/bolt it on. One day I'll have it done but I'll have to take it somewhere. I don't have the tools or the skill for that. The front one is also not original but thankfully they didn't weld that one on.

I feel your pain. I have a aftermarket rear bumper installed and I don't like it. Problem is someone welded it on in a few spots!! It doesn't look bad but if I wanted to put bumperettes on or tube bumpers (that were very popular in the 80s) I can't just unbolt/bolt it on. One day I'll have it done but I'll have to take it somewhere. I don't have the tools or the skill for that. The front one is also not original but thankfully they didn't weld that one on.

Sounds like a good reason to buy a plasma cutter and big grinder. :(

Even just a Dewalt grinder and a couple thin cutoff wheels. You’d be surprised how easy it is to remove stuff with a grinder....

Even just a Dewalt grinder and a couple thin cutoff wheels. You’d be surprised how easy it is to remove stuff with a grinder....

:agree:

My PO had 4 different sized shocks installed...3 of which were bottomed out. I knew an old CJ5 was a bumpy ride, but not THAT bad.

HaHa!

I feel right at home here. Missy P's CJ5 isn't as bad as some of the post I have read and I am thankful for that.

The most glaring thing the PO has done so far that I have caught was installing an electric fuel pump that was attached to the fuel pick up tube in the fuel tank.

It works fine and the hole that was drilled through the top of the sending unit was sealed but there was no safety mechanism to shut off fuel in the event of a crash. Needed to be wired with an electrical shut off in combination with a no oil pressure shut off.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks