Build Thread Mike's 1986 CJ7 (Mid Year) Rebuild

Build Thread Mike's 1986 CJ7 (Mid Year) Rebuild
Nothing like progress.....

Sent this one from behind a cold barley pop. :chug:

The 44 won’t care as long as the brake hose isn’t what it’s hanging from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found some all metal lock nuts for the shocks. Didn't know such a thing existed.

Found some all metal lock nuts for the shocks. Didn't know such a thing existed.

Hey Mike,
They the ones with several cross cuts at the top and then crimped?
If they are, they work exactly the same as the Nylocs but without the nylon insert.
Instead of the nylon holding the threads, it is the crimped top of the nut that does.
Maybe a heat related locknut where Nylon would melt.

If you haven't got the shock off yet, maybe some good old back and forward sliding on the mounting stud (with copious amounts of lube) would do it, I know you said it's hard to move, but I would replace both shocks anyway after burning/cutting them off as I don't have the patience for saving a shock of unknown age.
Regards.

Made me a roll-up paint booth yesterday... I think its going to work great.

attachment.php

Nice booth!! My first thought was “How the heck are you gonna get the tub in there??”. Then I realized it’s just for small stuff. How did it do??

Hey Mike,
They the ones with several cross cuts at the top and then crimped?
If they are, they work exactly the same as the Nylocs but without the nylon insert.
Instead of the nylon holding the threads, it is the crimped top of the nut that does.
Maybe a heat related locknut where Nylon would melt.

If you haven't got the shock off yet, maybe some good old back and forward sliding on the mounting stud (with copious amounts of lube) would do it, I know you said it's hard to move, but I would replace both shocks anyway after burning/cutting them off as I don't have the patience for saving a shock of unknown age.
Regards.

Thanks... but it is a 5,000 mile old shock. Now I'm thinking that since I'm removing the leaf springs anyway, I'm going to remove the shock pin plate (with the shock on it) and give another try on the workbench. If nothing else, I'm stubborn as a mule.

Yes, they are the crimped, all metal nuts.

Last edited:
Nice booth!! My first thought was “How the heck are you gonna get the tub in there??”. Then I realized it’s just for small stuff. How did it do??

Thanks.

Yeah, the largest piece would be a bumper. Mostly brackets, diff. covers, etc.

I'll be painting the steering box brace and rear diff. cover today. I'll let you know.

Thought I'd add this to my build thread even though I did it awhile ago...

Wanted a simple and solid phone mount for the Jeep. Decided on a Ram-Mount X-Grip system.

It mounts into an existing threaded dash mounting bolt hole (1/4"-20) above the speedometer.

It is adjustable using the double socket mount arm and the X-Grip adjusts to fit most smart phones and dampens any vibration while running down the road.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-201U-A

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-237U

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN7BU

IMG_2348.jpg

RAM-HOL-UN7BU.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the rear diff. cover and the steering box brace. Paint booth worked great.

Like the Krylon... lays down beautifully.

Steering_Box_Brace_01.jpg

Rear_Differential_01.jpg

I've been cleaning up the rear shock plate and spring hanger... will paint those today.

Nice!!

I can’t tell you how many time I considered picking up a used kitchen oven and a small powder coat gun for the small stuff.....

Sent via Tapatalk from a nice warm couch, shared with two live polar bear rugs....

Nice!!

I can’t tell you how many time I considered picking up a used kitchen oven and a small powder coat gun for the small stuff.....

I have one that I used for a ton of Harley parts/bolts/brackets. I used a toaster oven which worked great. I've see people buy old ranges and hook them to a 220 in the basement or shop. I did run a 30 amp 220 for the welder. Might be just enough to heat the oven....

Then I think... stop the madness...!!!!

Then I think... stop the madness...!!!!

It's too late. The madness has taken over your mind,body and soul. Give into it and report here at least once a day for therapy.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

CJ7_New_Shackles-Bushings_04 (1).jpg

Success... but I mushroomed the top of the threads. Yeah, I new better. Had to file it back into a cylinder, then reform the threads with a mini triangular file, before I could get the die on there straight.

Removed all the paint, some burrs, and a ridge on the shaft... slip fit now baby. A little anti-seize on reassembly and this won't happen again. Shock bushing and sleeve look great.

This is taking longer than I thought it would...

Last edited:

This is taking longer than I thought it would...

Welcome to my world......

Glad you got it straightened out!!

Sent via Tapatalk from a nice warm couch, shared with two live polar bear rugs....

Here are the rear diff. cover and the steering box brace. Paint booth worked great.

Like the Krylon... lays down beautifully.

Steering_Box_Brace_01.jpg

Rear_Differential_01.jpg

I've been cleaning up the rear shock plate and spring hanger... will paint those today.

These parts look awesome. Great idea for the booth. What color did you use for the diff cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These parts look awesome. Great idea for the booth. What color did you use for the diff cover?

Thanks...

I used Dupli-Color "Cast Coat Aluminum #DE1650, engine enamel with ceramic on the Cover. The bracket is Krylon, direct to metal, semi-gloss black.

Cleaned up the rear spring plate and the shackle hangers and gave them four coats of Krylon.

CJ7_New_Shackles-Bushings_06.jpg

New U-bolts came, new shock arrived.

Gonna paint the diff. cover bolts today... maybe the leaf springs if I can get them cleaned up.

I've got some clean up to do under the Jeep and paint as well...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom