Build Thread Mike's 1986 CJ7 (Mid Year) Rebuild

Build Thread Mike's 1986 CJ7 (Mid Year) Rebuild
The color of your Jeep is awesome. You've done some great work. I am going to steel that color and some of your custom build ideas. Very Nice. Thanks for sharing.

Purchased a new heat duct designed to spread the heat in a wider pattern, but it basically sends all the heat out the door openings...

Heat_Duct_Mod_00.jpg
Crown Automotive 55035618 Floor Heater Duct

Modified it to send the heat toward the seats. Marked and cut 1/4" wide slots with a band saw and capped the side openings with Kydex and some J-B Plastic Bonder.

Heat_Duct_Mod_01.jpg

Heat_Duct_Mod_02.jpg

Heat_Duct_Mod_03.jpg

Dang that’s different, so it warms your feet better now? Or just to your seat better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same diverted, and noticed it does direct the heat sideways. I may have to attempt to do something similar, but shoot the heat right at the base of each seat..... Hadn’t thought of this mod - I like it....

I have that diverter and love how it warms my feet. When I have the doors off, I don’t have the heat on anyway. And I have a speaker sitting in front of the shifters so I want it off to the sides more.

But I am interested in if this warms your “seat” better.

The way it was, it warmed just above my feet... if you're crossing a railroad track, it's great.

With this mod, it warms towards the seat better, but it would benefit if the air angled upward more. I was thinking of an array of four 1 1/2" diameter ABS pipes, beveled on the ends so that it directed the heat more upward and outward. Cooper, the bull terrier, gets the best heat with the slotted modification. The pipes would be glued to a flat panel mounted on the front of this heat duct (existing ducts removed).

I was also thinking of mounting a hook above the duct and fashion a fleece blanket that would hook on that hook and drape over the riders laps (think stadium blanket). It would have a hole in it for the shifter. It could drape over the legs, wrap over and tuck under the outer leg. The blanket would drop down on the console area to seal most of the heated air from getting to the rear. It might be just the ticket for late fall and early spring runs.

I was also thinking about fashioning a couple of shop-vac hoses which could be stuck right into your pants fly (might have to make an adapter). Think Michelin man...

Last edited:
....... Might be just the ticket for late fall and early summer runs.

I’m thinking seat heaters would be a nice touch for that........

I was also thinking about fashioning a couple of shop-vac hoses which could be stuck right into your pants fly (might have to make an adapter). Think Michelin man...

Oh, my

I’m thinking seat heaters would be a nice touch for that........

I've got a brand new set in the shop... already ran the wiring. Can't figure out how to get the seat back cover off (Bestop seats). The bar that clips the cover is behind a pocket making it impossible to get to. The seat bottom is no problem. Might have to take it to an auto upholsterer that has the tools.

I was thinking a couple of old school toggles in the radio blanking plate for controls since the ones that come with them have nowhere to mount.

I've got a brand new set in the shop... already ran the wiring. Can't figure out how to get the seat back cover off (Bestop seats). The bar that clips the cover is behind a pocket making it impossible to get to. The seat bottom is no problem. Might have to take it to an auto upholsterer that has the tools.

I was thinking a couple of old school toggles in the radio blanking plate for controls since the ones that come with them have nowhere to mount.

I agree. Just don’t do like I would and get frustrated trying to take the seat cover off and destroy the seat in the process

Hello Mike,
I just joined up a short while ago, and did so to get familiar with all things pertaining to the rehabilitation of my recent new old Jeep I bought ( an '86 CJ7 like yours, and also in very good and clean shape), and here I stumble onto your thread with most of the things I'm thinking of doing to mine!
You did a wonderful job on your Jeep and the color is also very nice.
I'm still busting my brain over what all I'm going to do to mine, basically to make it look somewhat military with some subtle original hardware to give it that feeling, but I'll get there sooner or later as this most likely will be my umpteenth last Jeep I'll own.
Keep up building the good and very nice upgrades you seem to be full of.
I ran out of pages and feel deflated for lack of more to read.

A very good thread and thank you for sharing your adventures.
And I haven't even got mine home yet!
Kudo's, John.

Hello Mike,
I just joined up a short while ago, and did so to get familiar with all things pertaining to the rehabilitation of my recent new old Jeep I bought ( an '86 CJ7 like yours, and also in very good and clean shape), and here I stumble onto your thread with most of the things I'm thinking of doing to mine!
You did a wonderful job on your Jeep and the color is also very nice.
I'm still busting my brain over what all I'm going to do to mine, basically to make it look somewhat military with some subtle original hardware to give it that feeling, but I'll get there sooner or later as this most likely will be my umpteenth last Jeep I'll own.
Keep up building the good and very nice upgrades you seem to be full of.
I ran out of pages and feel deflated for lack of more to read.

A very good thread and thank you for sharing your adventures.
And I haven't even got mine home yet!
Kudo's, John.

Thanks, John... I'm blushing' all over...

I saw your intro thread and look forward to you getting your new CJ home and some pics.

There is a link to my blog in my signature with more in depth information on all that I've done if you're interested.

Look forward to seeing your build thread!

Got the Dana 44 differential cover off... what a mess it was in there. Green slime came out and every part was coated with it. Four cans of brake clean and it looks pretty good. There was some rust at the top of the case and the top inside of the cover. Didn't look like a good seal on the cover and water must have gotten in.

Then I noticed the right rear lower shock nut was missing... bushing gone... and the rubber isolator destroyed. Ordered a new shock.

Decided to take the left rear shock off as well to do the spring bushings fore and aft and can't get the shock off the lower pin. Looks like it was malletted on over paint. Tried a gear puller... no joy. Lots of liquid wrench on the pin... heat... no joy. Got it about 1/2" and then nothing. Any ideas before I cut it off? No washers were used either.

Do you guys use nylock nuts or just thread locker?

Decided to take the left rear shock off as well to do the spring bushings fore and aft and can't get the shock off the lower pin. Looks like it was malletted on over paint. Tried a gear puller... no joy. Lots of liquid wrench on the pin... heat... no joy. Got it about 1/2" and then nothing. Any ideas before I cut it off? No washers were used either.

Sounds like it’s time for the cutoff wheel

Do you guys use nylock nuts or just thread locker?

Low heat situations I’ll use nylock. High heat I’ll use hardened lock nuts

Sent..... Just sent.

I like a BFH in situations where things are rusted and stuck.... need to borrow mine? Lol

Sent from my couch using Tapatalk

I like a BFH in situations where things are rusted and stuck.... need to borrow mine? Lol

Tried the block of wood and a BFH... nothing.

Sounds like it’s time for the cutoff wheel

Low heat situations I’ll use nylock. High heat I’ll use hardened lock nuts

I'm going to try a split blade mini-pry bar tomorrow. If that doesn't work, then its the cut off wheel and another shock.

I'm going to nylocks. Seems like the ideal situation for them.

On another note; The rest of the shackles came today...:]

Tried the block of would and a BFH... nothing.

Shum,

I'm going to try a split blade mini-pry bar tomorrow. If that doesn't work, then its the cut off wheel and another shock.

I’m not sure how long you’ve been working at it, in my Limited experience the times things have been stuck the BFH (mechanical agitation) method was applied over a few days and it finally popped. The pry bar will prolly help too. And patience.

Sorry dude, not that much help. Good luck.

Maybe a hi lift jack or bottle jack for some tension ?

Thanks, John... I'm blushing' all over...

I saw your intro thread and look forward to you getting your new CJ home and some pics.

There is a link to my blog in my signature with more in depth information on all that I've done if you're interested.

Look forward to seeing your build thread!
lol,
My build thread will most likely be very short, but I've said that before.

I won this time...!!! Wasn't easy getting the shackles and bushings out... everything frozen solid. Leaf spring removed.

CJ7_New_Shackles-Bushings_01.jpg

CJ7_New_Shackles-Bushings_03.jpg

Does the Dana 44 axle need to be supported or can it hang?
CJ7_New_Shackles-Bushings_02.jpg

Got the shock another 1/4"... hit it again tomorrow.

Got the steering box brace edge ground and ready for paint.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom