Build Thread Mike's 1986 CJ7 (Mid Year) Rebuild

Build Thread Mike's 1986 CJ7 (Mid Year) Rebuild
Man that’s a beefy sewing machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man that’s a beefy sewing machine

A little too beefy... I've got it set to its minimums as far as thickness of material. I thunk its going to work tho'.

I’m interested in learning to sew and am trying to learn the differences in the machines

I’m interested in learning to sew and am trying to learn the differences in the machines

Fought with that determination for a long time. Most important thing is to determine what it is you are going to be sewing, then get the machine best suited to that task. This is a Cowboy CB3200 leather machine. I also like Cobra for leather. If I were doing auto upholstery/webbing, I'd be looking at a Juki 1541s. All are compound (triple feed) machines.

Learning to sew (girly but great basics series).

Auto upholstery techniques.

www.sailrite.com has great videos as well...

Last edited:
I definitely want to do auto upholstery, boy those Jukis aren’t cheap, thx for the info, I have enjoyed the sailright videos for awhile

Stuck in a couple of projects ahead of the dog harness and cab cover.

I'm going to reroute my steel fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb... mine is pressed against radiator hoses in three places... starting to get intermittent vapor lock...

...and the nost important new project... 32 oz. drink holders. With the dog in the Jeep, there is no place for my diet coke!!!

I'll add some paracord handles, but here they are installed on the Jeep... I like 'em...!!!

CJ7_Drink_Holder_04.jpg

CJ7_Drink_Holder_07.jpg

I defiantly like the cup holders, and I’m liking the work that your bed liner guy did even more, this is the first time I have noticed that he coated your door openings

I defiantly like the cup holders, and I’m liking the work that your bed liner guy did even more, this is the first time I have noticed that he coated your door openings

Yeah, I noticed that right off when I started visiting his shop... loved it.

Here's the paracord handle on the cup...

CJ7_Drink_Holder_08.jpg

Yeah, I noticed that right off when I started visiting his shop... loved it.

Here's the paracord handle on the cup...

CJ7_Drink_Holder_08.jpg

That’s ingenious! My son and I have been struggling for over a year now on a decent place to store rifles! I can weld up some mounts that will fit like doors, coated with “Flex Seal rubber” and lockable of course. One on each side, vertically. Completely out of our way!
It’s not like we are crashing thru trees & brush, there isn’t any here in the desert. Nor do we go out shooting in the rain. Again, we don’t have much of that either.
A simple vinyl cover will keep the dust off.
When not in use, simply unlock the mounts & store them in the garage or shop.
I’ll make one first, post pics and modify it as needed.

Well, it took long enough. I am pretty happy with the fit and it worked well. Here are a couple of pictures of the cab cover on our recent trip.

I've got a full write up on my blog if anyone is interested.

Jeep_Cab_Cover_21.jpg

Jeep_Cab_Cover_22.jpg

That cab cover is pretty sharp good work

Sent while standing in line using Tapatalk

Need another storage box for the Jeep. Adding a UWS ATV Tool Box to the bed with custom made brackets to raise the box off the bed for additional storage under the box.

UWS_ATV_Toolbox.jpg

Just bought a new Century FC-90 flux core DC wire welder and am dying to try it out.

Toolbox_Brackets_Drawing.jpg
Redesigned the bracket several times... here is the final drawing.

Toolbox_Brackets_03.jpg
Picked up the steel at the salvage yard and wire wheeled it.

Toolbox_Brackets_04.jpg
This thing kept getting more complicated... here are the pieces all hand cut and notched with an angle grinder and the ends squared with a disc sander. The 1"x1" square tubing is 1/16" wall, everything else is 1/8".

I did discover the rear seat bolt nuts that I plan to use to secure the front of the bracket. I'll have to drill new holes in the bed for the rear end of the bracket.

Last edited:
That’s a really nice mount set up, you going all out with a slide out draw now?

Very nice!

That’s a really nice mount set up, you going all out with a slide out draw now?

Naw... It would just fill up with water in a rain. The lower section is for the sleeping pads and other things that can get wet. The boxes are water tight and secure... for my valuable underthings..

Still working on a way to lock the tailgate.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom