Build Thread Bill's 75 CJ5 ground up rebuild

Build Thread Bill's 75 CJ5 ground up rebuild
Well I've got almost everything back to where it was 3 weeks ago, still have to re-install the front drive shaft. Haven't tried to start it yet, but turned it over a few times to make sure the starter is engaging and turning the engine the way it should. Seems to be working fine. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend so I can roll it out of the garage and try to fire it up, but we're supposed to get snow over the next couple of days so who knows.

In the mean time, I installed the steering wheel, got the horn button in and working (probably the first time it's had a horn in 20 years). Have been looking for plugs to fill the wiper linkage access holes at the bottom of the windshield without much luck. A friend suggested using electrical panel knock out plugs. I got some from a friend who is an electrical contractor, but he didn't have the backing part, so I attached a toggle to a screw to hold them in place. I added some neoprene gasket material to the back and painted the fronts. Don't look half bad and seals up the holes.

I like those plugs Bill! :chug:

I know I had seen those stock replacement ones somewhere, but like how those look better :D

Can't wait to hear Next update!!

fingers-crossed-emoticon.gif

~ Jr

JR - It's supposed to quit snowing sometime tomorrow, so hopefully will get a chance to try firing it up on Sunday. :D

IT'S ALIVE!!!, well almost anyway.

Tried starting it up today (again). Poured a little fuel in the carb and it fired right up, but I seem to be having an issue with the fuel pump. The pump isn't sucking (pumping) fuel??? It was working fine when I pulled everything apart and it was a relatively new pump. We tested it with a vacumn gauge an it didn't register at all. Can the diaphram dry out and fail from just sitting?

Anyway,unless someone has a better suggestion, I guess I'll get a new pump tomorrow and try again.

Fuel pumps are designed to push fuel more than suck. The way the fuel system is designed the pump is gravity feed so all it does is push the gas to the carb.

Fuel pumps are designed to push fuel more than suck. The way the fuel system is designed the pump is gravity feed so all it does is push the gas to the carb.

I'm guessing that a mechanical pump, because of where it's located at the engine block, has to suck fuel from the tank and then pump it to the carb. We manually sucked fuel out of the tank to fill the line from the tank to the pump, but that didn't help. My neighbor has a fuel pump testing gauge, that tests both pressure and vacuum. The FSM says to attach the gauge on the fuel pump inlet. It then says to operate the engine at idle and note the vacuum reading. Since it's not getting fuel, we just turned the engine over for about 15 seconds. The gauge didn't move. I'm assuming the fuel pump is bad, but I can't understand why it would go bad by just sitting. Could I have installed it wrong?

Maybe I'll post this up in the drivetrain section and see if anyone has any other ideas.

It does sound like you have a bad pump. I don't think there is any way of installing it wrong but pull it off and test it.

Just a side note, why is it when we leave something sitting, wether covered, protected , cleaned, etc when you come back to it, something is wrong. So here's a thought for a business. Take these parts, motors etc and have someone use them fire them up once a day, something and then when you need it again it's there in good running order. Now I know that's not really feasible but it would be nice it things just worked.

Like this

YouTube Honda, things just work commercial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could I have installed it wrong?

I actually did :eek: I had the arm under instead of over ( or vise versa :eek: ) and it was not operating with the arm not being moved correctly... (Sorry don't know the technical terms) but basically I had the arm in the wrong spot inside the side of the engine... So it "is" possible to install them incorrectly. I just pulled back off, and made sure i felt the resistance when installing of being on the correct part of the internal part it rides on (Cam or Crank?)

A new one wouldn't hurt, but you may get away with this one still...

:cool:

~ Jr

Ordered a new pump. It'll be here tomorrow.

No more suspense! It's running. Got the new fuel pump on and it started right up. Wish I had the capability to record video and sound, cause it sounds sweet :D

Got a few little tweeks and adjustments to make. I've got a little coolant seeping up a couple of the intake manifold bolts? But, all in all, it seems to be running great.

Now I just need to get a muffler system on it and it should be ready for the road (or trail). And a big THANKS to all of you who have provided help, suggestions and moral support.

Bill :chug:

No more suspense! It's running. Got the new fuel pump on and it started right up. Wish I had the capability to record video and sound, cause it sounds sweet :D

Got a few little tweeks and adjustments to make. I've got a little coolant seeping up a couple of the intake manifold bolts? But, all in all, it seems to be running great.

Now I just need to get a muffler system on it and it should be ready for the road (or trail). And a big THANKS to all of you who have provided help, suggestions and moral support.

:)Will I'm sure that is good news to your ears............I'm glad it all worked out for you.

I'll have to finish mine now and then get together with you & JR and make a run up in the hills somewhere.

:chug:

Great work Bill, enjoy all the hard work. :notworthy:

:)Will I'm sure that is good news to your ears............I'm glad it all worked out for you.

I'll have to finish mine now and then get together with you & JR and make a run up in the hills somewhere.

:chug:

tarry99 - I'll hold you to that.

Since this morning, I tightened a few things up and rolled it out of the garage and rinsed off some dust and a bit of spilt coolant from burping the cooling system. Then I started it up and drove it back into the garage. And then I figured "what the hell", it seems to be running ok, the brakes work, there aren't any fluids pouring out of it, let's take it out for a little spin. So I took it out and ran it a round the block a couple of times. Put about a mile and half on it. Everything seems to be functioning well except for the horn, which I had to disconnect because it went off when I turned the wheel :eek:. Anyway, you can probably tell I'm pretty stoked about it.

Here's a few pics of it out on the driveway today.

Man, I like that dash.

It has turned out great. I bet it felt good taking it out and driving it you should be proud :notworthy:

The awesome-ness knows no bounds! That is one beautiful Jeep you've built. Congrats! The one pice front clip is cool. I like the hood latch-tie down at the front.

Bill, great looking jeep. Great stuff, that first drive is fabulous.

Thanks again everyone :chug:

Now that all the big stuff is pretty much finished, it's time (as they say on those home decorating shows that my wife watches on HGTV) to accessorize.

Will keep you up to date as it comes along.

Bill :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks