Build Thread Bill's 75 CJ5 ground up rebuild

Build Thread Bill's 75 CJ5 ground up rebuild
I didn't mean to drop completely off the radar, but time and $$$ have been somewhat scarce since the 1st of the year so I haven't made much more progress on the Jeep. I've been spending most of my time trying to drum up some business and get me and my guys back to work.

I've had the Jeep out around town a few times and it seems to being running pretty well. Still got a couple of thing that need a little adjusting and I've got a list of other "improvements" I want to make as soon as the funds become available.

It's finally beginning to really look like spring around here. The weather is warming up and the Forest Service is about to take the winter access restrictions off the forest roads. Hope to post some pics of the Jeep in action fairly soon.

Bill:chug:

:)Hi Billy,

Yep such is the cycle in the Business World , sometimes work finds you and sometimes you gotta go find it.........Glad to hear all is well except the work load , looking forward to seeing some pictures of your Jeep busting some trails.

:D:D:D:D

X2! Know all about having to find the guys work! I work for my old man's business, and we're doing it daily...

Got some pretty sweet jobs coming our way though so should be nice for a bit this year!

Was wondering where you'd been Bill!

also can't wait to see you enjoying all your work! :D:D

Hope you get everything worked out and we'll see you on the trail one of these days!

:chug:
~ Jr

It's been awhile since I've had anything to report on the progress on my Jeep. Still an issue of time and money, but the work front is looking up a bit for this fall so maybe I'll be able to do some more on it soon.

I have started trying to get it equipped. I put together a tool box to carry in it. Decided to mount it centered behind the seats. Had room on each side of the tool box, so I fabricated a couple of sheet metal storage boxes to carry spare parts and such. I tied the boxes together with angle iron front and back, coated the whole unit with bed liner and bolted it the floor. The tool box is held in with straps, so I can get it in and out.

I still have a long list of things I want to do on it, such as:
Bumpers
Winch
Skid plate at tranny & transfer case (anybody got any good ideas or a design?)
Mounting for gas cans
Padding on roll bar
Hi Jack, shovel & ax
CB radio
and probably a few more things I haven't thought of yet.

I did take my rig to the local car show last weekend. Didn't win anything, but had a good time talking to people about it. The highlight was the 7 year old that came up to me and said it was his birthday and could he sit in the Jeep so his Mom could take a picture of him.

Anyway just wanted to let you all know I was still around.

Bill :chug:

I was just looking at your dash design the other day and thinking it had been a while!

Good to hear things are picking up a little for you!

~ Jr

I was just looking at your dash design the other day and thinking it had been a while!

Good to hear things are picking up a little for you!

~ Jr

JR - I guess we all just do what we can do and hopefully it all works out in the long run.

I see you have started some major work on your rig. I'll keep an eye on your progress.

Bill :chug:

Nice to see some posts in this thread again. :D Beautiful work. And good to hear that things are looking better on the job front as well. :chug:

Nice to see some posts in this thread again. :D Beautiful work. And good to hear that things are looking better on the job front as well. :chug:
I keep hoping to post some pics of my rig in action, but I just haven't been able to find the time to take it out this summer. :bang:

That bracket that connects tank to frame. Did you make it? If you bought it, you dont know part numbrr do you? Thanks buddy

The bracket came with the new tank, so I don't have the part number either. Look in the Docs section of the forum and you'll find the parts manual in PDF format and you should be able to look it up.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Bill

It's hard to believe I haven't posted any progress on my rig for over 6 years. Time flies. Went from no work to more work than I know what to do with and unfortunately the Jeep has just been sitting for several years. I had an issue with the brakes that turn out to be the wheel cylinders seeping. Of course it took me 2 years to get that fixed, along with a couple other minor issues. Have finally got most of the gremlins taken care of, so I hope to finish the last few things that need to be done and get some miles on it this summer. I'm in the process of fitting bumpers on it now. Then the winch, cb radio, gas struts to help lift the front end and modification of the rack on the back to carry gas cans and raise the spare up so it clears the rear bumper. Hope all you guys are doing ok with all of the craziness in the world right now. Bill131 Bills Jeep 06-15-20.JPG133 Bills Jeep 06-15-20.JPG

Nice looking jeep Nice front bumper ! Really like your paint job

Wow Bill - great to hear from you again - thought you sold it and left!

Ready for the Rubicon trip with others this September? lol Bring some "3's" just in case we need to patch it up ;)

Cheers bud!

🍻

Wow Bill - great to hear from you again - thought you sold it and left!

Ready for the Rubicon trip with others this September? lol Bring some "3's" just in case we need to patch it up ;)

Cheers bud!

🍻
Hi JR - good to be back. Been so busy the past few years that it seems like I haven't had time for much else but work. Had hoped to retire by now, but I think I've got a couple more years just to finish the work I've got on the books (unless I can find someone who wants to take over a construction company in the mountains). I'll have to think about the Rubicon. Last time I was on that trail was 1978.😅 In the meantime, I've still got a few things to finish up before I feel comfortable taking the old CJ anywhere too far away.
Bill

Went out for a short ride up on Mt. Reba, above Bear Valley Ski Resort a couple of weeks back. Went with a local group from here in town (Hwy 4 Jeepers). Wanted to post a few photos just to show that my rig does run. I think I had the only CJ there. Hope to get it out again soon. 7-26-20 jeep trip to Mt Reba 1.jpg7-26-20 jeep trip to Mt Reba 2.jpg7-26-20 jeep trip to Mt Reba 3.jpg7-26-20 jeep trip to Mt Reba 9.jpg

Finally got a chance to read your whole thread. Well done job on your jeep. Wish all your pictures were still there to see. Wondering if you could repost a couple of pictures back. I would really like to see the dash and console and your boxes behind the seat Thanks

Very Nice! Let us know next time if you want a few more CJ's in the group! :D

Finally got a chance to read your whole thread. Well done job on your jeep. Wish all your pictures were still there to see. Wondering if you could repost a couple of pictures back. I would really like to see the dash and console and your boxes behind the seat Thanks

Belizean - this is what I started with back in 2011.
2 Bills Jeep 02-01-11.JPG

Here are a few of the dash, under construction and installed.Dash layout 1.JPGDash 10-24-12 B.JPGDash 10-24-12 A.JPG

A couple of pics of the consoleConsole 1.JPGConsole 4.JPG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom