Build Thread 78 CJ-5 project

Thanks Heff, Now on to bumpers.
Heres the parts..
8-14-11-2.png
heres some parts cut
8-14-11-1.png
8-14-11-3.png
I hope to get some of it welded tomorrow. Rear will have a swingout tire carrier (easier to get to the :dung: box in the back) and the front will have a brush (tree) guard. Recovery (winch mount) receivers on both front and back.
Question for you all .. I want to get a winch that I'll mount to a removable bracket but won't pay the price for a Warn. If I'm doing it right I shouldn't need it anyway, right!! Who makes an ok winch that doesn't cost a fortune??

Thanks Heff, Now on to bumpers.
Heres the parts..
8-14-11-2.png
heres some parts cut
8-14-11-1.png
8-14-11-3.png
I hope to get some of it welded tomorrow. Rear will have a swingout tire carrier (easier to get to the :dung: box in the back) and the front will have a brush (tree) guard. Recovery (winch mount) receivers on both front and back.
Question for you all .. I want to get a winch that I'll mount to a removable bracket but won't pay the price for a Warn. If I'm doing it right I shouldn't need it anyway, right!! Who makes an ok winch that doesn't cost a fortune??

Try Harbor Freight..I was just there a few days ago and they had 12K winches for $239.

Got the front half done. I want some sort of brush guard on it, just not sure what yet.
8-17-11-1.png
8-17-11-2.png
Rear is started.
8-17-11-3.png
The tubing for the pivot came in today so hopefully in the next few days I'll one more thing checked off the list.

Thanks for the tip on the winch, never thought of Harbor Freight.

pivot tube is 2.5 inch x .25 with a 2 x .25 inner sleve slot welded
8-18-11-2.png
8-18-11-3.png
I opened up the bumper to mount the spindle solid inside it using .25 inch angle as a stiffener
8-18-11-1.png
doesn't look to bad
8-18-11-4.png
8-18-11-5.png
I'll make up the tire rack and attach it to this pivot.
8-18-11-6.png
I need to figure out a latching mechanism for the swing out tire rack. Also somewhere on either the front or rear I'd like to mount a high lift. Don't do "Jeepin" without it.

Got started on the swing arm
8-19-11-1.png
and as usual - something comes up that takes time out of the project. Why can't a guy run out of acetylene, oxygen, grinding discs or in this case --
8-19-11-2.png
wire, when your doing something you don't care if you finish! Sometime living 25 miles from town and Air Gas really sucks.
Anyway I got it done
8-19-11-3.png
the slug comes out in case the next owner wants to carry bikes or something health related - not me, but the next guy.
8-19-11-4.png
tire mounted and swinging
8-19-11-5.png
8-19-11-6.png
front brush guard and paint tomorrow, I hope.

Thanks Dale, I try.

Got the front brush guard done today
8-20-11-1.png
8-20-11-2.png
I left enough room for a couple of KC's between the bars, possibly, and a High Lift behind the uprights, definitely. Just need to figure out the brackets.
8-20-11-3.png
8-20-11-4.png
I got to come up with a cover system to protect the power steering lines!!

What type of steel did you use to make the front and rear bumpers? im looking to make a rear bumper similar to yours.

What type of steel did you use to make the front and rear bumpers? im looking to make a rear bumper similar to yours.

2" x 4" x 1/4" for the main tube and 2" x 2" x 1/4" for the swing out. The pivot is a spindle shaft and bearing set from Tractor Supply and the tubing for the pivot is 2 1/2" DOM tubing with a 2" DOM spacer. Brush guard is 2" DOM tubing. I suppose it doesn't have to be this heavy but I don't like stuff to bend when tested by a tree. Hope this helps.

I need some help here guys. I want to shorten up the turning radius on the 5 and need some suggestions. I've heard a pitman arm from a Wagoneer is longer than a CJ. Is that right, is there any others doners??

Thanks

Thanks Zuba,

Painted "good enough". As my wife reminds me, "it will be covered in mud and scratched to heck in a week anyway".
8-25-11-2-1.png
8-25-11-1-1.png
8-25-11-3-1.png
Now to tighten up the steering radius - suggestions welcomed - and enough until spring.

Well it's a Jeep, it's spring and so I'm back at it. Torch, welder and all! I found this little problem last fall before putting it away for the snow season:
3-30-12-1.png
When using it in a rather rough way, kinda like a Dukes of hazard moment, the rear yoke would hit the crossmember sooooo
3-30-12-2.png
about this time my wife came in the shop, took a look at the Jeep on jack stands, the axel on some more stands, the fuel tank on the bench and the chopsaw set up, said this doesn't look good and left. I keep telling her "it's a Jeep thing". I'll notch it out in the next couple of days and post the repairs, or should I say modification number -- about a thousand...

Dave

Got that done.
4-3-12-3.png
4-3-12-2.png
Added a couple of "HEAVY" leafs to the spring packs.
4-3-12-1.png
If I bottom out now I'm definately going somewhere I shouldn't be.

If your lookin in Bill here's a couple pictures of my little scoot.

4-3-12-5.png
4-3-12-6.png

We should do the West Coast Highway next spring.

Dave

oldguy,

I'm glad you updated this thread. If you hadnt, I would have missed it entirely. I just read the whole thing, and watched as you created one badass Jeep... I wish I had your skills!!

Beautiful job indeed!!! The frame is a work of art...

And the relatively short amount of time you did this is incredible.!!!

When my sons get home from school, I'm gonna show it to them too..

WOW ! thats all I can say....

:notworthy:

brian

Dave -

Nice modification! Wish I had your welding skills. On another note, from the looks of your garage there, it seems to me that you subscribe to the old adage: "He with the most toys wins" Nice bike and looks like a nice Beemer in the background.

Here's a pic of my scoot. My wife and I ready to go over the hill and down 395 to Mammoth for the weekend.

Highway 1 from SF all the way to Washington is a beautiful trip. Haven't done it all on a bike before, but it would great ride. If you want to plan on it, I'm in.

hey bud im just joined so i had to read your thread from the begining and i really am impressed! you did it right and im sure your proud cruising down the road or trail and that to me , is what jeeping is all about!

my question is if you had to start over again would you buy a galvi. frame or would you build another from scratch? i dont have the room to build a frame jig but its cool to see one built from steel stock. and do you remember your ballpark mig settings for the 1/4" steel , or did you just crank it all the way up? your welds are so nice i bet you could give a robot welder a run for it's money!

my question is if you had to start over again would you buy a galvi. frame or would you build another from scratch? i dont have the room to build a frame jig but its cool to see one built from steel stock. and do you remember your ballpark mig settings for the 1/4" steel , or did you just crank it all the way up? your welds are so nice i bet you could give a robot welder a run for it's money![/QUOTE]

Hey Brian, glad you liked the build. Would I do it over??? NO, well maybe but I'd always wanted to build a frame and what the heck. If I was doing a rebuild and wanted normal frame flex, suspension travel and all the good stuff built into a Jeep I'd buy a frame (it would be a LOT easier also). In other words if I do another, say a CJ6 or CJ8 I'd definately BUY a frame. As far as settings I ran it mostly at 8 - wire feed, 9 - volt setting.

As a note if you are interested in building a frame remember a couple of things. It's stiffer than heck, there is NO frame flex which does reduce wheel travel and it's heavier than a stock frame by "a lot"

Dave

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks