Build Thread 78 CJ-5 project

Build Thread 78 CJ-5 project
just one, proportioning valve.:cool:

Hey IO, neighbor came up and we tried the following - bypassed the linelock, no good - swaped out the proportioning valve with a known working one, no good -- any other suggestions ???? a bonfire is looking pretty good about this time. Going to visit my granddaughter for a few days, oh and my son and daughter in-law also. I'll spend some time building a shed with him and spoiling her so maybe when I get home things will be better.

Thanks again IO. Dave

jeep looks great,fantastic job, is there any adjustment on the master cylinder rod ,that may help ? and on some mopars the calipers will swap sides but put the bleeders in the wrong spot (to low)and wont bleed out,,of course this may not pertain to yours but thought I would throw it out there

Save the matches!!
I can't help think you still have air in the system someplace. did you depress the valve on the proportioning valve when you were bleeding the lines??:cool:

Hey IO, neighbor came up and we tried the following - bypassed the linelock, no good - swaped out the proportioning valve with a known working one, no good -- any other suggestions ???? a bonfire is looking pretty good about this time. Going to visit my granddaughter for a few days, oh and my son and daughter in-law also. I'll spend some time building a shed with him and spoiling her so maybe when I get home things will be better.

Thanks again IO. Dave

Thanks for the tip 72RT, had the same problem with a 70 Camaro I had, not that easy on this one

IO, I got to agree with you -- it can only be air. I havn't tried the button valve on the proportioning valve, I'll give that a try but I'm with you on the air bubble. My son is comming up for his grandmothers, my mothers funeral next weekend, he's a mechanic in Rochester MN (damn good one to) we'll get it fixed and I'll let you know what I forgot to do. It's an age thing!

Again thanks again for the help. Dave

Save the matches!!
I can't help think you still have air in the system someplace. did you depress the valve on the proportioning valve when you were bleeding the lines??:cool:

I'm enjoying your build! Hoping to start putting my 75 CJ5 back together soon. Trying to soak up info. Anyways, thanks and sorry for your loss.

Thanks San, I'll miss her and welcome. Your going to meet a great bunch of Jeepers and have access to a wealth on information, listen to them.

As for the the CJ -- brakes are done thanks to this guy
7-14-11-01.png My boy.

As far as the problem, IO had it pegged, 72 RT had the cause figured out and I was so sure it was something bizarre I didn't listen "lesson learned"!

It was air like we figured and the calipers had to be rotated to be bled. My son Adam (if you need a good mechanic in Rochester MN go see him) picked it up quick. He, like me had never seen this on a Jeep. Bled em out and were good to go - or actually stop.

Maybe fire in the hole this weekend.

glad you got the brakes lined out,, take her for a drive time

Got it done enough for an actual road test. It tracks a lot better with the reverse shackel system, seems to be a bit stabiler on the road. I'll put a few more miles on it and get a couple more electrical Gremlins fixed and its off to the two tracks for some fun in the mud.
7-23-11-1.png
7-23-11-2.png
7-23-11-3.png

Ya I know, the left pipe is a bit lower than the right but I'll fix it later.
7-23-11-5.png

7-23-11-4.png
Also I'm working on the bumpers between yard work, gardening, etc ...... you know -summer stuff.

Thanks 72rt,
Got some miles on it, about 25 so off to the mud behind the house
8-25-11-1.png
8-25-11-3.png
8-25-11-2.png
got a bit stuck as you can tell by the Kabota behind it. I hung it up on a log, seems the power company when they put the lines through left a lot of surprises just under the surface. Been here before, lucky this time the tractor was only a few hundred yards away.
8-25-11-4.png
Neighbors son, or kinda my partner in crime for stupid things like this.
8-25-11-5.png
Found a "need to fix ASAP" priblem, the fuel tank brackets hit the rear diff cover. Another -cut the frame and reweld thing-.

dropped the tank and removed the rear section of the frame and the right rear (extra) body mount, I'll relocate it as the fuel fill tubes will hit it.
7-27-11-1.png
7-27-11-2.png
moved the tank back 2.5 inches and up .5 inches - lots of clearance now
7-27-11-7.png
fabricated new rear tank support
7-27-11-4.png
7-27-11-5.png
a bit of paint
7-27-11-6.png
and back to the mud soon, maybe tomorrow...

thanks dale,
the original reason for pushing the front out 2.5 inches was to get a better weight distribution. With my fat butt in the seat its pretty close to 50/50. Now that I have the platform I was thinking of a detachable winch mount.
on the side - It's off to the alignment shop at 10:00 today. A friend of mine is putting it on the rack to check the camber - it's bad. Once we figure out the spacer I'll order them up fix it an hopefully track on the full width of the front tires. Also (and I'll post this in the syspension section) any of you run a mini spooler in the rear of your CJ narrow track?? I'd like posi but don't want to dig that deep in the pocket. At least not this year.

7-31-11-1.png
Damn electrical gremlins!! Took out the roll cage, steering column and dash to get into the harness (when you put in a roll cage like this one it's easier to take out the cage than contort around the system, or maybe I'm just OLD). Took care of the problems - two days - Back together and back on the road, or in the mud.

It's a Jeep thing!! kind like an old snowmobile thing - run it for the weekend and fix it the rest of the week. Should get better as I work out the bugs.

I think this about the last of the original parts -- and this one I resealed "TWICE".
8-2-11-03.png
I sort of knew it wouldn't last since the center shaft was pitted so bad I had to press the end seals in farther than they should have been to stop the fluid from pouring out. Just a matter of time before the pump pressure pushed them out to where they seated against the plates. I decided to bite the bullit and pick up a remanufactured from Cardone. After much reading on this site I went ahead and replaced it with one from a 78 Camaro Z-28.
8-2-11-01.png
8-2-11-04.png
2 1/16 turns lock to lock, it sure handles different. You folks were right about the change! I'd recommend it. Now to put the caster and camber shims in, align the toe in. Maybe put the top back on and who knows -- sell it and get a flat fender???

Dave - This has been an awesome build! I learned a lot by following it :notworthy:

Hoping my 75 comes out as nice!

Bill

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks