Build Thread 1980 CJ7 rehab project..

Build Thread 1980 CJ7 rehab project..
Gotta love progress.....

Sent from just this side of unconsciousness .....

Gotta love progress.....

Sent from just this side of unconsciousness .....

yes.. its exciting.. I actually got it registered and plated as an antique.. that way i can drive it to get some exhaust work done

I dig the shifter knob, I’m hoping to get the family bar and rear 3 point seat belts for mine sometime soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dig the shifter knob, I’m hoping to get the family bar and rear 3 point seat belts for mine sometime soon

it feels great in hand.. will try to get a picture of it installed next time im in the shop.

Those rims are cool as the other side of the pillow. Without being specific, what city or county for that matter do you hand your hat?

Those rims are cool as the other side of the pillow. Without being specific, what city or county for that matter do you hand your hat?

Thanks. I’m in Smith county, home of Earl Campbell.

got a bit done this weekend.

finished installing the factory YJ soft top.

inprogress
rZxVzHM.jpg

glamour shots
uSotxFA.jpg

fixed the shift ball.. had to cut the tip off the threads to get it to work because they were ruined
KES2feA.jpg

I have to do a little fab on the tunnel cover to get the twin stick boot on.. nothing major though.

got the child seat tether mount fabbed up.. should be pretty stout
DbaOhPm.jpg

FdkkcpE.jpg

I just finished getting a full exhaust put on and it is running so much better. I think the carb needed more back pressure.. i originally thought i would need to re-jet the weber but the new exhaust seems to have leaned it out a bit.. we will see how it goes..

update, the other day, I was driving the CJ and a plug blew out of the exhaust manifold. it just un-threaded and had enough pressure to push out. scared the :dung: out of me because I thought I FUBAR'd the engine... got off the Loop and checked on it and found the open plug in the manifold.... the engine still ran fine but was stupid loud! and would backfire (loudly) if i didnt baby it.

I put a new plug in and hit it with red-loctite instead of anti-seize as was before.. also, fixed the connection on my temperature sensor.. we will see if it works.. previously the temp gauge wasnt working.. we will see next time i drive it.. still to do, re-jet and tune the carb since it is still running rich.

so, my red loc-tite didnt hold after the manifold heated up.. when i checked plug after running the jeep to temp it had loosened almost a turn.. so, I had to use some ultra high-temp loctite.. decided to go buy a new plug that works with the new loctite.

oOTE9P9.jpg

just stuck a tiny tack on the plug.. have driven the jeep the last two days and it is going good.. still have to tune the carb but that might be this weekend..

also, noticed a clicking from the front that stops when i hit the brakes.. I am thinking it is u-joints but havent checked..

last night i replaced the crappy plastic headlight adjuster nut things.. I threaded some strap to match the adjuster screws and am pretty pysched about how they are working..

original next to strap
bNp6gRl.jpg

tapping the metal.. i am not a tapping expert, but it seemed to have worked..
zaV62OQ.jpg

finished and installed
RXfZnTi.jpg
UHrM2Gl.jpg

also installed a spiderweb shade onto the cj.. seems to work great with the YJ bar.. the back flaps a little more than i would have hoped but its should be fine.

6Iifpfb.jpg
djbpAdF.jpg
cis2ca9.jpg

Did you ever install the Corbeau seat bracket on driver side? And if so did it bolt up to ur seat w/ out mod’s?

Did you ever install the Corbeau seat bracket on driver side? And if so did it bolt up to ur seat w/ out mod’s?

I never did.. my buddy and I just adapted the seats to fit.

spent some time yesterday pulling the j truck to my shop.. its my neighbor's truck and he moved it there so he sees it everyday instead of behind a house.. out of sight out mind type thing..

had a slight issue.. the crappy fuel wheels some yahoo put on these things are so thick, the lug nuts could barely get any thread to grab... so, about 200 yards from my shop.. after a solid quarter mile, there was a pretty sharp clunk.. we both thought the spring broke in the back.. only to realize that there were no lugnuts holding the wheels on..

my neighbor used his sweet 3/4 ton suburban with a duramax swapped in to pull it.. that thing is awesome..

after we got a couple lugnuts bolted up..
g2ubBtJ.jpg

this is the front wheel.. after we got it parked.. that is pretty sketch..
https://youtu.be/_0YE7IjSFcg

my youtube stuff isnt working.. so.. click the link i guess...

spent some time this labor day pulling the trans out of the J truck and got my buddy over to tune the carb a bit. to fix the rich running condition, he put bigger air jets... got rid of the bog at full throttle.

fun with shady exhaust hangars.
I5A5rp7.jpg

Trans is out. only carnage is I had to cut the shifter cane to clear the body.. but I need a new one anyways.
TzwIRAT.jpg

my shop snake and rat security was hanging around.
MBFJHUI.jpg

next step is to separate the t-case from the trans.

Dang nice bird, looks like a fun project with the J truck

Sent from my bill money source using Tapatalk

Dang nice bird, looks like a fun project with the J truck

the truck isnt mine.. just getting the trans out of it because the owner is putting a 360 into it.

Not a 360 in it now?

correct. it had a 4.2L in it. which is currently in the bed..

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks