Build Thread 1980 CJ7 rehab project..

Build Thread 1980 CJ7 rehab project..
havent been able to get out to shop.. with kids bedtimes and working longer hours for tax season its tough to walk out there..

I have 2 in diapers I know all about how hard it is you will get there just keep the faith

update, I got the gas tank installed last night and the fuel lines attached. didnt finish completely but will hopefully get to it this week or weekend.

not much more to do before trying to fire it off.

probably going to take the air pump system off to try and clean the engine bay up.

but, I did find out that I might have a full AC system in my shop.. not sure i will install it but we will see.

When the engine starts running things get exciting for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally find this line of conversation depressing....... :poke:

I'm not even sure where all the :dung: is that goes under the hood.... that's gonna be fun tracking it all down LOL.

Hopefullt she'll fire up right off

been super busy at work lately but today is deadline day and I am done with taxes for a little bit (CPA in public practice..) anyways, i have some updates that I havent been able to add to this post.

got the jeep running with a makeshift gas tank on the fender.. good news, the fuel pump works fine.. just need to get some fuel down the lines and it should fire up. doesnt run bad for sitting for 4-5 years! need to rebuild the carb because its leaking. trying to embed the youtube video.. if it doesnt work i will post a link.
EDIT: embed didnt work.. here is the link
https://youtu.be/tiL6OrwPXyM

second update is that I got a couple wheels in for the jeep. I am not a fan of the white wagon wheels that are on it.
I picked up some method race wheels new Con 6.

think they go pretty good with the color.. and more importantly, the wife really likes them.

5DB0EEED-6413-4691-A8DB-106F4F0ED6CA_zps9hhrhogx.png

size 17x8.5.. my plan for now is to run JK takeoffs until i save to get a lift then will 33s.. the jeep has 31s on it so i am wondering if i would be able to run jk rubicon take-offs which are 32s. we will see. might start with the smaller sport tires for now.. they will be cheaper anyways.

next step is getting it running properly and to the shop for some tune-ups, brakes etc.

thanks.

Those rims look great with that color, nice to see the engine running

Those rims look great with that color, nice to see the engine running

thanks, the wheels had to grow on me. I wasnt sure about them until my wife said she really liked them.

I know the engine is a little rough now but I was very pleased that it fired up so quickly.

Bundy,

any updates?

got the fuel suctioned down the fuel line and got the jeep started on its own gas tank last night. I need to look into a temp oil pressure gauge but i feel like i can hear the oil draining back into the pan.

I know it has an exhaust leak and will need the carb rebuilt or replaced.

but, its exciting that I can just go back there and fire it up now.

got the fuel suctioned down the fuel line and got the jeep started on its own gas tank last night. I need to look into a temp oil pressure gauge but i feel like i can hear the oil draining back into the pan.

I know it has an exhaust leak and will need the carb rebuilt or replaced.

but, its exciting that I can just go back there and fire it up now.

Are you going to rebuild the carb yourself or have someone do it? I used a guy named Terry Weiss on Roy road to rebuild the Holley Truck Avenger I bought off ebay. He seems to do good work. I'll be home end of May I need to swing by and check it out.

Are you going to rebuild the carb yourself or have someone do it? I used a guy named Terry Weiss on Roy road to rebuild the Holley Truck Avenger I bought off ebay. He seems to do good work. I'll be home end of May I need to swing by and check it out.

havent decided yet.. might just trailer the jeep over to Shogry's in gresham and set him loose on it.

Take a 'sick' day and watch what he does with the carb. Take pictures and notes.
No reason you can't learn to do it yourownself.
It's NOT brain surgery.....:laugh:
:chug:
LG

Take a 'sick' day and watch what he does with the carb. Take pictures and notes.
No reason you can't learn to do it yourownself.
It's NOT brain surgery.....:laugh:
:chug:
LG

I was originally thought I was going to do mine myself, but then I saw the diagram they sent with the rebuild kit and decided it was a better idea to send it to someone. I know myself well enough to know that tedious task are not my forte. https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/images/smilies/beerchug.gif

A carb has to be tuned to the engine it's running.
Only one way to do that.....
LG

The jeep was driven out of the shop under its own power this weekend. figured out pretty quick that i have a frozen brake.. and a lotttttt of play in my t-case shifter..

any ideas how to address play in the shifter?

I have another thread about the brakes.. no need to ask the same question twice.

but, the jeep started to run pretty well. still needs a tune-up and carb rebuild for sure.. prob new exhaust manifold gasket. but we will wait and see.

Post pictures of the linkage so we don't have to guess.
Most likely the plastic sleeve bushings are shot.
LG

Post pictures of the linkage so we don't have to guess.
Most likely the plastic sleeve bushings are shot.
LG

will do.. luckily i cleaned the shop floor this weekend so I wont get disgusting when i crawl around on the floor.

thanks.

been a longtime since i updated this thread. I just got finished replacing the front calipers and flex lines on the jeep. drove it down the road a tiny bit and it worked out pretty good. still a long ways to go but that is one hurdle down.

next thing to tackle is the carb. I am planning on rebuilding the carter carb but it has been suggested that i get a motorcraft 2100 (and not a weber).

any opinions on here?

thanks.

been a longtime since i updated this thread. I just got finished replacing the front calipers and flex lines on the jeep. drove it down the road a tiny bit and it worked out pretty good. still a long ways to go but that is one hurdle down.

next thing to tackle is the carb. I am planning on rebuilding the carter carb but it has been suggested that i get a motorcraft 2100 (and not a weber).

any opinions on here?

thanks.

The motor craft 2100 is a great and simple carb I would highly recommend it

The motor craft 2100 is a great and simple carb I would highly recommend it

awesome thanks for the info. any reviews on the gronk guy that sells the 2100/2150 on ebay?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks