Build Thread 1978 cj7 in process

Build Thread 1978 cj7 in process
I was just looking at some of your pics and noticed your Concord battery box and had to read a little further. I worked as an A&P for several years prior to working as an industrial mechanic. I sure do miss it. Good luck with your business:chug:
last%20ride_zpsrontayza.jpg

I was just looking at some of your pics and noticed your Concord battery box and had to read a little further. I worked as an A&P for several years prior to working as an industrial mechanic. I sure do miss it. Good luck with your business:chug:
last%20ride_zpsrontayza.jpg

Heck yeah,I dont work turbo props anymore but have in the past. My shop works on anything that has a reciprocating engine. Piper, mooney, cessna, cirrus, beechcraft, and on and on. I was fortunate to spend 15 years at a high production shop, got tons of experience and went to every school known to General Aviation.

So it turns out I had to remove the tcase due to putting the rear drive gear in backwards. But since I had to pull it back out I went ahead and ordered the tera low kit for the Dana 20. Its out and completely torn down and cleaned, ready for reassembly. I went ahead and ordered a NOS rear shift fork. When I initially put this together I questioned the fork and at the time I decided to let it go. Its not too bad but not like new. It should be here late next week. I'm planning to put it back in the jeep next sat or sunday. :eek:

So it turns out I had to remove the tcase due to putting the rear drive gear in backwards. But since I had to pull it back out I went ahead and ordered the tera low kit for the Dana 20. Its out and completely torn down and cleaned, ready for reassembly. I went ahead and ordered a NOS rear shift fork. When I initially put this together I questioned the fork and at the time I decided to let it go. Its not too bad but not like new. It should be here late next week. I'm planning to put it back in the jeep next sat or sunday. :eek:

Cool let us know how it goes and take pics. I sure enjoyed building mine even tho I didn't read the instructions thoroughly enough and had to pay for machining twice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok so this part of the journey is now past. I can continue on with the rest of the plan.. The case is in with the tera low kit installed with the twin stick conversion and the interlock pills removed. Everything works this time :)
Soon I'll post the next step.

Good on you. :chug:

New Gauges. Waiting on the factory style tach.

I have not updated this post in awhile. My business has keep me extremely busy but I have been working on this all this time ( alot anyway). All of the front end pieces along with a new windshield frame are painted and ready. The tub is 95 % ready for paint. The entire frame has been por 15 and top coated along with the bottom of the tub. I'm working diligently to paint this heap in a few weeks pending no distractions. In the mean time I sold my 4 runner daily and bought a 2011 JK stock low mile to try to keep myself contained. While its cool to be able to open air ride and go wheeling with friends for a change it has motivated me to Hurry up and fix my CJ. I appreciate the entire Jeep community and this jeep is indeed capable but I'm READY to get in the CJ. I can't wait to show all my jeeper friends the outcome. It will be sharp and well built. Axle will follow later and will pretty much be the only thing left. Oh full cage too.

Very cool can't wait to see some pics of progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are all factory style brand new gauges. I also bought the factory style Tach. The dash panel is new (stainless) without the radio cut out. I have a Tuffy console for future radio. I got the panel 1/2 price because it was rejected by someone because it had a slight bend on one corner. I just straightened it out ( 2 minutes).

These pics are a touch outdated but I wanted to document them on my buildup.
The tub is so close to be ready for paint. I am considering putting the entire front end together. I'm ready to drive this thing. I do drive it in the neighborhood ( couple times) but the neighbors just dont understand (HA)(front end apart and grill/radiator balancing act) . I would like to ask the opinion of anyone looking at this. Should I just paint the underneath of the front fenders and back wheelwell now that I'm inquiring the same color as the jeep? My original thought was to herculine these areas but I'd never get them clean! Spray bomb gloss black? Setting up a mini gun and spraying them to match is a beer drinking project ( no time involved) fun project . Any thoughts are appreciated.

Want to add both rear corners were crushed perfectly even. Who knows what happened but I pulled and worked them to the point of welding up the holes and minimum body filler.

This is the jeep I bought (mentioned earlier) as a mid restoration crisis (HA). Its fun in its own right. I added half doors to get the old school feel (to me anyway). Rides like a modernized jeep with a car (ish) feel. Modern I suppose. I moved the CJ out of the garage and just the way the shifter motion is, brought me full force back into this project. My CJ goes into my friends paint booth as soon as I'm ready. Can't wait to break out the De'vilbis spray gun on it.( I cleaned and rebuilt it just for this spray.

Your CJ is looking good. I'll bet there's a big difference in feel between the old and new jeep.

I was just going through this with mine. I decided the inner fenders and tub wheel wells looked better matched to the body color. I guess I'll find out how well it holds up and resists dirt. If it doesn't I'm just going to use some spray bom bedliner in those areas.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom