Build Thread 1978 cj7 in process

Build Thread 1978 cj7 in process
The new steering wheel made a big difference . along with the seats

Meant to send this pic

I'm not as far I want to be on the floors but I did get the rear center section cut out and as I should have already known/done I had to order the rear floor supports. I also ordered por-15 . going to do alot of cleaning and then apply this stuff. In the mean time I have plenty to do, going to weld closed all the miscellaneous screw holes along the top of the tub, pulling 2 dents in the rear quarters, tailgate was ate up so ordered a new one, bead blasted all parts from tailgate I intend to save. I'm trying to not make this part of it a long term project so I'm thinking of ordering a new hood and grille. I already have 2 new fenders and a new windshield frame. I feel I could have the tub ready to paint in a couple of months. As soon as I get the rear floor in I'm going to do the fronts, which at this time I feel will be easier than the rear. Also troublshooting the fuel gage not working while the tank is out . Still have alot of prep work to do before rear floor goes in. T interior will either be rhinolined or herculiner depening on funds and my patience.

I have the rear floor pretty much ready for weld up. I have small L shaped pieces that run the length of the floor I am going to weld in on both sides of the rear floor. I chose not to cut the spot welds along the sides of the wheel wells, there is enough good metal to lap it in and then weld in the reinforcement angles. Will pretty much be covered up with rhinoliner anyway. The passenger front floor is in place, ready for final trimming.

I've finally finished welding the floors in. Applied 2 coats of herculiner.

Good job!:notworthy:
Hope you plan to cover that black floor some how.
It'll become a fry'n pan in the summer's Sun.
LG

Thanks , was a lot of work. One of those projects you just can't seem to get to go away! Yeah, I'm thinking I may scuff and paint when I paint the jeep (hopefully early fall) but the contrast in color would look nice. I run a bikini top on the jeep all summer.. The most important thing to me is that no rain will touch it (corrosion wise) and if I need to detail the interior I simply go to the car wash and spray it down!!!!;) No plugs for theses drain holes!

I've been driving the jeep around and noticed there was still a touch of play in the steering so I finally put in the new steering shaft.. What a difference, should have been something i did awhile ago... NOW the problem, well I think, this new steering shaft is not the dampening type, I never even thought of it, and I can feel the road now. I know its a jeep but I really think I should spend the money on the other style.

OK, I put in a steering shaft that has the dampener built in, drives great. Now that I am enjoying the jeep the time is coming to park it. I will be pulling the T-150 and 20 transcase for full rebuild thanks to Novak components. Replacing both driveshafts and regearing both axles for now. Rear 20 will get 1 piece and welding for now.

been going thru some wiring issues but all is squared away. put in a new head unit (stereo), 6.5 kickers in a center pod, 6x9 kickers in 6x9 boxes, 2 amps and a 10" sub ive had on the shelf from previous projects over the weekend. ITS LOUD! Anyway im gonna drive it another week or so and drop the trans and transfer case. have the twin stick too.

I'm about to have alot going on over the cold months here in georgia. Will post pics of course. Gameplan: completely rebuild T-150 trans.. Completely rebuild Dana 20 transfer case w/ twin stick.. Pull rear 20, weld, 1 piece, gears. (for now) maybe an OX locker, kinda hate to, hope to run into a better rear. . I have the primer, paint and all for finishing exterior. If youve read along I think u will agree ive moved along kinda quick. the axles will be the last thing i do, even if i do the 20 for now. i have researched all plans and have been sitting on all the parts for a minute. I LOVE THE WORK!

I have the paint for the jeep. its called smooth grey. Went with a company i highly recommend.. the coatingstore.com.... very good deals on high quality paint. 1 gallon polyeurethane paint, reducer, thinner $165 shipped. thats for singlestage. i chose this so that if i have to repaint in the future i wont have to deal with much blending. anyway i just wanted to add this to the build page. the front fenders (new), windshield frame (new), grille(new and on backorder:() tailgate(new) and hood ( im in process of refinishing) are ready for prime and paint. Tub is in process. trying to spray it before too cold so i can garage and pull trans and case for overhaul:drool:

I like that grey color.

How does car paint work? Will it not cure without the activator like an epoxy? Without the reducer, how thick is it?

if you brushed the paint on something it will dry eventually, depends on weather. you have to reduce it to spray it out of the gun, you add hardener so it will dry quickly. booth /conditions depending.(heated or not) the reducer and hardener you choose depends on the weather.(typical) 70 to 80, 80 to 90, 90+. there are ways to cheat on temps and alot of it depends on your spray style. its easy enough for most to pull off with with a little knowledge. a spray booth is preferred. homemade booth pretty good. theres alot more to it but most can pull off a single stage with a little wet sand and buffing.

you do not have to have a booth, ive seen some good work come even from the outdoors. ........ did i say that? :eek:

i stripped the hood of paint, got some minor work to do to it to get it ready for paint. i plan to prime and paint the fenders,windshield frame, tailgate an dash panel tomorrow. ill post pics tomorrow afternoon. cant wait to see the color.

a little behind but did some painting today. these pics do not show the best because of lighting but do show progress. the color is a single stage called SMOOTH GRAY, i feel it will look really good when all is put together. i will post other pics that hopefully better show the color. it is a light pastel gray. yesterday i saw a new fj whatever pretty much exactly the same color. its different but i like it.

Can't wait to see it come together with that color. Interesting choice that I think is gonna pay off with some contrast.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks