Build Thread 1978 cj7 in process

Build Thread 1978 cj7 in process
I sectioned and lenghtened the sway bar links, installed the stabilizer and got an alignment. Ready for a test drive!

I tig welded the sway bar links.

I'm going to replace all of the spring hangers.. YES, I should have already done this.:eek:

Lookin good..sits nice

Thanks man , It took me a minute just to get it road worthy.

Drove it today,It handles well. Got the parking brake all tightened up but found the proportioning valve leaking. Once I get the brakes in good order I'm going to get a back seat then start on the floor replacement. Will do them so that it stays driveable, thinking one at a time. This thing really needs all new brake lines. Wondering if its just better to buy the premade stuff rather than building it up myself!

I received the preformed stainless brake lines and got the front mocked up today.Installed a new mastercylinder also. The brake lines are nice but , they were bent to fit in the box. Thats not too bad as I assume this is usually done during a frame off. Going to take the main rear line and match up a reducer to the new proportioning valve tomorrow.

I got the mastercylinder, proportioning valve , all new lines, and new bleeder screws in. test drive went well.I need to order an extended rear brake hose to say the least.(middle pic)

Last edited:
I installed new sparkplugs, wires, ignition coil, rotorcap, and button this afternoon. It seems shes road worthy, finally :D

Good lookin CJ, what other mods do you have planned besides the lift?

Hey fro68, I just put fender flares on today. I've been trying to get this thing road ready, using the kids as an excuse.. lol.. I ordered all new seats, mostly for comfort ,but trying to get to the point of riding the kids around. Been having a problem with engine cutting out once warmed up and after replacing EVERYTHING ignition wise I just ordered an edelbrock intake, a 500 cfm manual choke carb and everything I need to make it happen. Did not expect to take that hit ,but I am ready to get on the road reliably. As far as plans, I will soon order the master rebuild kit for the T-150 and the Dana 20. New clutch etc. Money and time ! I will also put new floors in late in summer,, their not as near as bad as I've seen but need to be done. Late summer, new front fenders , grille , gonna reuse hood, tub body work, then spray body, flares, and hardtop a very light gray.

I just finished up installing an intake, 500 cfm 4 barrel carb , valve covers, and air cleaner. The intake turned out messy but I finally got all the bolts in.. Anyway it started right up. I'm going to spend some time cleaning up wiring and such after a good test drive. I also have a nice manual choke cable to install.

I also want to mention I put a splash shield on the bottom of the intake. The original was missing it and I believe this was the source of my problem. Oil was getting in the carb at high speeds and causing the engine to shuttle and shut down.
i previously replaced every componebt is the ignition system trying to chase it down.. Oh well even if that wasn't the problem , I hope this settles it. I will also be cleaning up the excess RTV, I'm surprised it sealed considering it kept drying on me while trying to get the bolts started. I've been a mechanic for 20 years and I never had such a time.

new exhaust tommorrow.

I'm still around! Still have jeep and now that things have gotten back on track in my life I am ready for some other mods.... The floors are next, prep to begin as soon as weather gets half a@# tolerable. Oh! I put a new steering box and brace on (after completely rebuilding the front end, I mean COMPLETELY), and it drives superb. However I still feel I need a new steering shaft and or to rebuild the column. Also some better , not worn out tires are in order... Anyway just checking in.. Kevin

I know its been awhile... I have put a MORE steering pump bracket along with a new pump on the jeep. I have all the new floor pieces I need ( I wanted the 1 piece front section, but am having to go with the 4 piece offering from Quad) also got the rear floor piece. I can weld well enough that most wouldn't be able to tell after its rhinolined anyway. Just more = more work. I have all new bestop trailmax seats , all brackets and sliders have been bead blasted and painted. At this point I guess I should give in to the fact that the wiring is just bad enough to justify painless wiring, but I have a trans rebuild kit and clutch etc along with a model 20 rebuild kit sitting here. Not to mention its really time to just drive it a minute. New Pics soon :cool:

I put a 1" poly body mount kit on saturday. It went pretty good. I had to cut the welds on the forward side of the nerf bars to access the forward mount locations. I found that the right forward mount had completely ripped out of the tub sub body. i did a temp repair by taking 3 4"x3" pieces of stainess sheets (its all I had laying around) and made a temporary plate. I'm starting on the floors this week and will repair this area the right way while I'm in there. I also had to cut a small area out of the drivers side floor just in front of the driver side left seat mount to gain access to the cage nut that turned out to be spinning. I'll be in that area with the new floor pan anyway.I'm debating on spot welding that nut in place before I weld the floor in permanently . I have cooper sst 35' tires with the classic stainless procomp wheels on order. I think it will set off the jeep.

On the surface the floors do not appear to be too bad. I hope this holds true when I start cutting out the bad areas

I will post pics as I move thru the floor repair this week

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom