Would Anyone Be Interested in Modified 4.0 Harnesses?

Would Anyone Be Interested in Modified 4.0 Harnesses?
I've got the stock dyno numbers, then after the 4.0 head went on, and I'll put it on again once the FI is done. That should give us a great idea of what each one brings to the table.

What gains did the head bring? Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

What gains did the head bring? Thanks

Id like to see the numbers of a4.0 head with carb. Even without fi the 4.0 head has a smaller combustion chamber and the runners see 45 degrees vs a dog leg design on the 258. On paper fuel and she should move through it more efficiently.

Reckon its me then ,but still get a thread of "CJ" posting a truck concept and "shamr cj" posting a sand hill climb dating 2008 ? So what's the #'s since I am having technical difficulty. :banghead:

subscribed, im interested in full fi 4.0 head on a 258, 78cj5, looking to put megasquirt on it and have a full tune done, going to get the jeep wednesday, looking at a full restore with upgrades planned. want a good dd and a strong trail toy.

Almost done with tins harness. I'm thinking tomorrow or the next day I'll have it finished.

I guess I better start ordering everything else I need!

Alright Gents here are pics of what a product might look like if interest is there. Obviously we need to get this installed in Tin's jeep to see if it works but checked everything with a multimeter and all the connections should be there according to the diagrams. Now we just need to install it and make sure.

Some features that I think will be very nice that you dont see in manufactured harnsses are that I wired it so that you can run the SI alternator through the PDC on on the 4.0 harness, as well as the starter relay out put to the starter activation wire. So once you peel back the factory hanress you can splice into the 4.0 harness right at the fuse panel under the brake booster

Unfortunately I can't eliminate the fender solenoid because the 258 starter doesnt have a built in solenoid like the 4.0s so the fender solenoid will have to be retained. If you have an upgraded starter such a mini torque starter with a built in solenoid, you could lose the entire fender solenoid and run the activation wire from the starter relay in the PDC to the solenoid on the starter

By running the alternator through the PDC, you can eliminate the need for the fusable link wire because it now runs through 2 60 amp(meaning the system can handle 120 amps for the higher output alternator conversions) maxi fuses. if you blow the fusable link you have to remove the wire and solder in new wire, now you just have to replace a maxi fuse.

Pics:
Original harness from the cherokee donor
CAM00111_zps440cef34.jpg
in the process of thinning out the harness
CAM00117_zpsa3c56e21.jpg
http://s88.photobucket.com/user/Thi...Harness/CAM00115_zps5b91bd84.jpg.html?filters[user]=22138928&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=3

Finished harness
CAM00125_zps0ebf2eb7.jpg

Last edited:
So realistically, this is what I am thinking. Pending testing from Tin Man and a report back on the quality of the harness.

Its probably about 4-5 hours of time to do the harness, this might come down if I do more harnesses. What I am thinking is 100 plus shipping for the labor if you send me a usable harness. You have to be sure that you are capable of not damaging any needed parts of the harness when you remove it though, if it is hacked up

If I have to source and remove the donor harness, I am thinking 200 for the shipping because I will have to find the harness, remove it, and then pay whatever it will cost from the owner/junkyard.

Yes I can help you install the system if you are close enough to me, Jeepinpete.

this is killer, when i get the project to this level i hope this is up and running, ill bring the rig to you with a 4.0 head and harness in hand and do the swap on site, might even bring a megasquirt system and add that experience and capability to ur arsenal, is there a good fuel mapping shop or friend in your area?

this is killer, when i get the project to this level i hope this is up and running, ill bring the rig to you with a 4.0 head and harness in hand and do the swap on site, might even bring a megasquirt system and add that experience and capability to ur arsenal, is there a good fuel mapping shop or friend in your area?

Do you already own a megasquirt harness or something? You keep mentioning the Megasquirt. The idea of this is that you shouldn't need to buy a manufactured harness which from hesco is about 500 bucks and I don't know how much it is from megasquirt.

With a 4.0 harness you shouldn't need to do any ecm tuning, I didnt when I did this swap on my old CJ7, it probably wouldnt hurt to tune it but unless you are making a drag racer you are going to be throwing money at the jeep for performance gains your not really going to notice. The MOPAR conversion kit just uses a stock ecm from the 91-95 4.0 engines for the 258.

if you want to bring your jeep up to pa from florida I would definitely help you out no problem.

ive looked into the megasquirt for a bunch of applications and come from a background of going probably a little too far with fuel injection, i used powercommander software on my 04 yamaha r6 and the most interesting and satisfying part for me was the combination of fuel economy and power you can get with stand alone fuel mapping, thats what i would be after here, also some experimentation with longevity of the i6 (not that its a problem currently), ive still got a lot to consider for this project but i would like to consider adding a tps unit to the jeep and using this to create a biased map that will run more for fuel economy when off the throttle (say 25% or less of pedal travel) and give more fuel when you get on it, also i believe this can be mainained with more precision with the megasquirt since it has a circuit for static air pressure input (altitude) that will allow larger compensations for altitude, i may never go that far tho since this would likely include the addition of an o2 sensor.

ive looked into the megasquirt for a bunch of applications and come from a background of going probably a little too far with fuel injection, i used powercommander software on my 04 yamaha r6 and the most interesting and satisfying part for me was the combination of fuel economy and power you can get with stand alone fuel mapping, thats what i would be after here, also some experimentation with longevity of the i6 (not that its a problem currently), ive still got a lot to consider for this project but i would like to consider adding a tps unit to the jeep and using this to create a biased map that will run more for fuel economy when off the throttle (say 25% or less of pedal travel) and give more fuel when you get on it, also i believe this can be mainained with more precision with the megasquirt since it has a circuit for static air pressure input (altitude) that will allow larger compensations for altitude, i may never go that far tho since this would likely include the addition of an o2 sensor.

I have a PCIII in my VTX1800c so I am familiar with what you have in your Yamaha, but I don't think I can help you alot with a megasquirt setup.

The 4.0 FI has a tps, 02, and a MAP sensor plus more. The fuel injection can make changes based on altitude with the stock ecm controller, that is one of the major advantages for of FI in general.

With the megasquirt are you building a complete harness from scratch? I understand that you want to be able to alter your fuel and spark maps, if you wanted to do that you could go with a GM based throttle body injection conversion as the ecms those use can be modified with megasquirt stuff to be programmable. If you wanted to do 4.0 MPFI i think the tuning options are Limited, and again unless you are drag racing, these fuel mapping isn't going to gain you alot of noticeable performance there. Maybe better fuel mileage but I would be surprised if you could gain more than 1 or 2 mpg through custom tuning.

So this may seem like a silly question but I have a YJ 4.2 project motor. It has a 4.0 clear water head on it. IF i wanted to make it fuel injected Id need the intake and exhaust off a 4.0 plus all the sensors and send you the wiring harness to be weeded down. The harness I have available to me is from a 89 cherokee. This is something that Im looking at for down the road but Im getting ready to scrap the cherokee on thursday. If its some thing I can use Ill pull all the wiring. The cherokeee is auto but i want to run a ax-15. What else do you think i would need.

So this may seem like a silly question but I have a YJ 4.2 project motor. It has a 4.0 clear water head on it. IF i wanted to make it fuel injected Id need the intake and exhaust off a 4.0 plus all the sensors and send you the wiring harness to be weeded down. The harness I have available to me is from a 89 cherokee. This is something that Im looking at for down the road but Im getting ready to scrap the cherokee on thursday. If its some thing I can use Ill pull all the wiring. The cherokeee is auto but i want to run a ax-15. What else do you think i would need.

The 89 is a renix 4.0. I have heard bad things about it but honestly I dont know if that is true or just people parroting what they heard somewhere else. You would probably want the donor harness from a 91-95 cherokee or YJ.

That being said I could make this harness for you no problem. Theoretically I can do any kind of harness so long as I have a donor harness and a clear diagram. You have seen my TPI thread by now I am sure, that harness isnt really much different than a TBI hanress. Of course If it isnt a 4.0 harness I just dont have the direct install and trouble shooting experience to offer you.

So if you want to use the renix setup, that would probably be good to do since you have everything you need right now. Remove the harness carefully. Unplug the engine side of the fuse panel and avoid cutting anything if possible. If a loom of wires enters the cab, you most likely dont need it and can cut it, just label it to show where it came from.

Its definitely a possibility.

You need to research if the renix intake will mount up to a 4.0 HO head and if it doesnt, can you bolt the injectors, fuel rails, throttle body, etc from the renix onto a HO intake.

Just for grins and giggles can you look at the transfer case on the drivers side an snap a pic of the VSS, I am curious if it is a mechanical electric hybrid like what we need for 4.0 harness conversion in our cjs or if it is a fully electric one.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks