Wheeling Colorado Springs with Bill D

Wheeling Colorado Springs with Bill D

Posi

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
54 Willys 3B, FI 401, T-18, ARB Locked, Hinkey Sidewinder Winch
Enjoyed a few days of wheeling with Bill D, Carol, and Rad last week in his neck of the woods. I also had a chance to look over my new 71 I purchased last October 31st, Bill and Carol were kind enough to pick it up for me.

The PO purchased the Jeep from his friend 1995 had some upgrades installed as well. This 71 came stock with a 225 Dauntless T14/D18/Warn Overdrive and 4.88 gears. The front axle was upgraded from the D27 to a Dana 30 disc, 4.88 and truss added. Full cage, power steering (done right), tilt, 2.5 springs, 33” tires, full Detroit rear, and Limited slip front.

It also came with a boat load of parts:
New HEI distributor, New ignition wires (8mm), SM465 4-speed, a few brake M/C, extra front axle shafts, metal plate already cut for boxing the frame, nerf bars, 225 engine, a few distributors, new filters and gaskets, and a few gallons of gear and motor oil.

The ad was only 20 mins old when I found it and called. The seller told me he has owned it for over 20 years and it has been sitting in his garage for the last 5 years unused. He was moving and everything had to go. I had the seller send me a video of the engine running, although the engine idled well I noticed when it hit the gas there was a hesitation. After chatting a bit he agreed to sell me the Jeep for 2k under his asking price. The only thing I didn't prefer on the Jeep was the outside the frame headers and racing seats.

Anytime a Jeep sits for 5 years it will need some attention, when I arrived at Bill's house we dug right into it. The engine started right up and seems to idle fine. When we took it for a test ride there was no power. The distributor and wires looked to be new, (I'm thinking he added them before selling). I added new plugs and checked the dwell, it was way off. I also checked the ignition wires and they were in the wrong terminal on the distributor cap. It was a wonder it ran as good as it did.

I decided to start from scratch, found TDC, pulled the distributor and wires and installed everything in the correct order. I tried to set the dwell and couldn't nail it at 30° once I got close it would jump, turns out the ignition points plate was worn. I tried to make the points distributor work to save time and get out on the trail, but made a decision to install the new HEI.

To remove the distributor bolt I made a tool so I didn't have to remove the power steering pump which saved time. After grinding off a bit of the intake manifold, and sanding down the two machined sections of the distributor shaft I was able to slide in the larger HEI. The engine fired right up and idled smoothly for an odd fire. The test ride was improved the power still wasn't where it needed to be. I figured it would need a carb rebuild and later after looking through the parts I found what was left of a carb rebuild kit and a receipt from 1996, 20 years, yup needs a rebuild. I believe the power loss is from the power valve in the carb, it's a power piston that works on engine vacuum and needs to move freely. I'm guessing it's gummed up.

A special thanks to Bill D, Carol, Rad, and 007 who stop by to visit, and help with the diff fluids.

Found this Mule Buck outside Bill's house on Friday morning while working on the Jeep.

31554014131_5695c19e8c_k.jpg

Anyways, lets get to wheeling. Enjoy!

Last edited:
The first outing Bill took us to Garden of Gods, and Old Stage Rd,

Colorado Springs in the background

An end to one of the forest rds we traveled on
img

'Tis the season

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEoUg2APPlo

Maybe Bill will chime in to add or correct places we traveled.

Last edited by a moderator:
The next wheeling day we had to stay close because I had a horrible death wobble when I hit a bump at 30-35. After I got it back to Bill's place I checked the ball joints, wheel bearings and steering links, all good, turns out to be very loose front u-bolt nuts. Torqued them down to 50 ft lbs and it drives straight down the road at 65 without a stabilizer bar.

Last edited:
The third day was a full day of wheeling, put in about 70-80 miles

Old Stage Road up to FS 379 then to Frosty Park. We also did Eagle Rock, a red rated trail. This trail was more of what I see back Northeast with tight trails and boulders.

First we stopped for breakfast

img

img

img

img

Climbed up a nice trial to a nice lookout.

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

Last edited:
Old Railway Tunnel

img

img

Bill and Carol

img

img

img

img

img

We parked to let a couple local guys up Eagle Rock, one got hung up on an obstacle so I gave him a spot. We chatted for awhile then continued down the trail. We don't have good pics of Eagle Rock it was a hands on trail.

img

img

Taking the less traveled path

:ty:

For the great story and pictures. :notworthy:
:chug:
LG

Thanks LG, can you see all ofthe pics? Should be 34 of them and 3 or 4 vids.

Yes-I can see everything you link'd. :rock:
LG

Thanks, not sure why only one pics shows, and the rest are linked.

Thanks, not sure why only one pics shows, and the rest are linked.

That stuff is way above my 'pay-grade'. :dunno:
LG

Test

Where do I sign up for that raise? :D

So-Does that mean you'll re-do all those links then? :laugh: :poke:
LG

Hang tight - I'm fixing them...

Well looks like Posi may be fixing them too lol - I'll wait to make sure we don't screw anything up fixing at same time... just in case.

lol

Let me know if you want me to run through them - I finished first few posts already.

Yes please, your doing them must faster them I am :chug:

Done :chug:

Posi, I got 33 pics and what looks like somebodys Christmas video. You really got a prize of a Jeep though.

So-how many of these :beer: does Posi owe you? :laugh:

LG

lol - none owed, but I'd love to have one with him on the Rubicon one day

It was really no trouble - easy fixes - everything was there, just coding got screwed up for embedding them.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks