what to do after getting that CJ home

what to do after getting that CJ home
CJ Rebuilder's Manual by Moses Ludel. He's written a series of them based on year models. Thanks Torxhead, from one old dog to another.

I'm finding my copy helpful as I work through my project.

I got a '76 CJ with an automatic trans. Wanting to change front drums to disc. What is needed? It also had the Levi Edition's package on it. Does anybody know where I might find tan seats and visors that are the Levi Edition's? Thanks

I got a '76 CJ with an automatic trans. Wanting to change front drums to disc. What is needed? It also had the Levi Edition's package on it. Does anybody know where I might find tan seats and visors that are the Levi Edition's? Thanks

Find a disc brake front end and swap out the knuckles with the discs. You will also need to get a proportioning valve and a disc master cyl. Your back brake line may need to have a adapter fitting at the master cyl but thats simple NAPA stuff.

Cant help with the seats and visors.

Glad to see this post. This was going to be my first question. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad to see this post. Was going to be my first question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I installed my stereo and dash speakers.. Found PO's wiring nightmare.

"Libertatem Aut Mortem"

-Samsung GSIII (CM10.2.1)

-LG Lucid (CM10)

-LG Revolution (BrokenOutRevo 2.0.1)

-Samsung Fascinate (CM7)

I just got my 72 home and have done a front and rear drum to disc swap. Fairly easy straight forward project. I used Herms kit which was well thought out and included everything. I also added new Master Cylinder, Booster and Prop valve. Also did my fair share of hard line fabrication. Brakes are incredible now. If you want more info or pictures let me know.

Thank you for the information!

Rebuilt the carb, new fuel sending unit and fuel gauge.

"Libertatem Aut Mortem"

-Samsung GSIII (CM10.2.1)

-LG Lucid (CM10)

-LG Revolution (BrokenOutRevo 2.0.1)

-Samsung Fascinate (CM7)

Excellent write up!
Step two... break out the tap & die set! Remove all the metric bolts forced into SAE threaded holes... along with the wood screws and JB Weld & try to salvage what is left of the threads.
Step three... make a trip to your local hardware store and spend more than what you think you saved buying your Jeep on new bolts.
Step four... scream at the top of your lungs that it should be against the law for stupid people to be anywhere near tools!
Step five... put your Jeep back together the way it should be. The Jeep Gods will smile upon you for giving it a good home.

Thank you for sharing this knowledge. I have started on some of the items on this list and never thought about the others. I guess the wife will have to wait longer now that I got more on my punch list. This will be very helpful for me, as I am a proud new owner of a '85 CJ7 I6. More money to spend!

First things first

A lot of guys buy an old CJ and ask me what they should do to if first. I usually tell them to inspect everything. However I thought I would write a list of things that need to be done no matter how great it looks on the outside. Remember you do not know how each previous owner took care of that rig.
So here goes:
I figure the most important item to address first is the brakes, I usually dig into these the first weekend. I will pull the drums to check the shoes and drum wear. I will look for leakage in the slave cylinder and missing springs or hardware. If they have disc, I inspect the pads and rotors, I also will try do decide what type of disc they are as any older jeep I buy usually never came with disc. Once inspected, and if needed a brake job done, I always flush and bleed the brake hydraulic system. Brakes are the hardest working system on a Jeep, a failure here can kill you and probably will get you in a liable position so do it right away.
Second I do steering check up, this involves going under the front of the jeep and checking out each joint in the steering system for wear. Too many Jeeps are running with a bit to much wobble in the steering as they are not driven that much and it was just put up with. However the steering is an easy project to handle and as far as wear and tear on tires and stuff, getting it correct is just to simple. Normally wheel alignment is ok it is just a tie rod end or something that has wear and needs replacement.
I consider those 2 item so important you should not drive the Jeep until they are done.
I will next flush the drive line fluids and replace, I pull both diff covers and look inside using a light weight oil in a spray can to clean up a lot of stuff in there. I then put the covers back on and refill with the recommended lubricant. I will drain the transmission and tcase and refill also. These are places so many PO’s do not check, small leaks over years can mean low levels and old unchanged fluids can be dirty or worn out. This is a needed check.
OK, time for the engine, oil change, radiator flush, check the tune up and decide if one is needed, check all the filters, gas, air, etc. and check the pcv valve. Hoses need to be inspected as well as vacuum hoses. Fuel system problems show up here and get addressed. Look for plugged up stuff and hoses going nowhere. Leaks in gaskets, those valve cover and oil pan gaskets are the main culprits. And how about a list of chrome goodies to dress this up a bit.
My next project is to check out, not redo yet, but check out the electrical wiring, I will repair small items and go around making it look good at this point. Rewiring a jeep is a project left for another day, right now I am looking to just get it running in good shape. I normally will be adding a few electrical projects such as lights, radio, horn, winch, and a few other items so I will leave a rewire as a project for the second year of ownership. That means no need to straiten up something really good you may be about to cut up. Plus when adding electrical accessories you usually do a bit of rewiring then to make things look good, reroute or just repair old wiring.
My next item is to clean up the tub and frame as good as I can so I know of all repairs needed there. Pressure washer time guys. Get into there and inspect for rust cancer and places that need attention fast.
OK, by this time you have had that Jeep a month or so and actually after the first few things have taken it out for parts runs and just to show off, so what do we do now?
I take it out for a beginners run and check the suspension out, it also gives me time to figure out how I want to build the puppy up. Plus, most important, the personality of the Jeep comes out and I get to name it.
This has been a first items list, but a very important one as you will know exactly what you have and you will have a lot of problems found. Plus the scheduled maintenance the PO never did is caught up on.
At this point you have a solid foundation to build on, or have decided to sell and buy a brand new Jeep.

This is a good write-up for new owners, these Cj s are 25+ yrs old and need a lot of TLC, even if they were "taken care of" by a PO. Nice to see this post up again.

Nice write up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is a good write-up for new owners, these Cj s are 25+ yrs old and need a lot of TLC, even if they were "taken care of" by a PO. Nice to see this post up again.

Thanks, I just picked up a '79 CJ7. I was all over the place looking for a post like this, I wish I would found one like this when I first got my '55 Ford p/u. A lot of $$$ down the drain doing things in a rush and not in the rifgt order, still fixing past mistakes of mine on it. Now I have this to start playing with, L8R ZFLASH

Just wanted to thank you so much for this great checklist to work on for my new CJ I just brought home!

nice. and also ya might add go ahead and buy a haynes repair manual and start reading
Truth!!!! I have been in my manual on the regular. I ripped mine apart to the frame and am rebuilding. Mo $$$$ but I didnt like what I saw when I got it home. Too much PO "engineering".

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Just wanted to thank you so much for this great checklist to work on for my new CJ I just brought home!
Give me a shout if you need some labor help. I am in Flower Mound area and in the beginning stages of my rebuild (77 CJ5). I work for beer!!!!!! Sometimes bring it myself.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

What he said, only with paragraphs... ;)
The VERY first thing I do is break out a COMPLETE manual (or two).
Nothing else you will do is as important as having an ACCURATE & COMPLETE MANUAL.

The next thing is compression testing,
And *IF* it runs, a vacuum gauge test.

There is a VERY specific reason, engine health is everything, without a reliable power plant it's just spare parts until that is fixed.
A compression gauge will tell you if the cylinders, rings, valve seats, etc are up to snuff.

Now, it doesn't have to be perfect by any means, there is still a lot of life in older engines, particularly if you know what to do about the wear and issues.
Don't know about the issues, you can't do anything about it...

The vacuum test will tell you how that 'Air Pump' you call the engine is functioning.
Most things that show up in a vacuum test can be fixed without tearing into the bottom end of the engine.
Vacuum test will tell you about sticking valves, bad valve seals, leaking gaskets, carb & ignition problems, etc.
Often much more accurate than a 'Computer', not that we have computers anyway...

The next thing is like above, SINCE YOU HAVE POWER, YOU MUST HAVE BRAKES!
Wheels come off, seals, bearings, brakes, etc are checked & corrected as needed.
This is where you flush the brake system, look for rusted brake lines, etc.
Brakes are mandatory, it's your LAST line of defense...

This is a real good time to get differential cover gaskets (confirms the axles are what you think they are) and clean out the PO (Previous Owners) crud & mistakes.

Now you know the thing is going to STOP, and the wheels aren't going to fall off going down the highway...

Oil leaks are something that can be fixed later,
But fuel leaks are something that needs to be fixed NOW.
Jeep carbs are dirt simple, and a good manual will show you exactly what you need to know for a basic cleaning & adjustment,
$10 worth of replacement rubber lines & clamps won't bust the budget, but might very well keep your 'New' Jeep from burning down.

Now what I tell people is,
If you CAN'T repack/replace wheel bearings, clean out a carb, flush/fix brake lines, then you have no business trying to mess with an old vehicle of any kind.
An out of control vehicle is a deadly weapon, get the dangerous fixed first, ignore the rest...
(It's a matter of common sense that the world seems to be lacking today)

You *Should* have looked over the frame for rust through/breaks, broken springs/shackles, broken steering, etc before you bought, and now you go after the rest of the dangerous issues.

Not everyone will have the education to do electrical, its a different discipline than turning nuts & bolts, and it takes a specific education...
The 'Trick' is to find someone that actually knows how the system is *Supposed* to work, and not someone that tells you to rip out the wiring,starting from scratch with some kit or another...
With some basic education, any circuit can quite easily be re-built without throwing the baby out with the bathwater,
A good manual will have the wiring diagram, several of us have even color coded & simplified the diagram for laymen, and listed how to trouble shoot nearly everything on the Jeep.

Once you understand what's wrong, how it's supposed to work, a few wires and connections and it's usually working as good as new, maybe better than new since AMC had the worst wiring harness of any US manufacturer.

"One Size Fits Nothing" harnesses can be scabbed in, but not being specific to the vehicle you have to make 'Modifications' to make it work, and that OFTEN takes more time than remaking the entire harness with updates to specifically fit the vehicle.

Then it's off to the transmission/transfer case...
Again, if you are mechanical, with a good manual, it's not too difficult to refresh either trans/transfer...
Often just bearings, seals, some new wear parts and you are working well.
Most people that will dive right into an engine won't touch a gear box, the gearboxes being MUCH more simple than an engine...

I usually recommend skipping the local transmission shop opting for an industral rebuilder to do the job.
It's usually faster, cheaper, and you get a warranty you can count on.
The draw back is pulling & installing the gear box, the industral rebuilders don't usually do that while the local shop will, but charge you out the butt for the service.

A remanufactured gearbox is perfectly acceptable, trade yours and some cash for one just like it with a warranty.
Again, the larger industral rebuilders will usually have the best deals.
I don't think any less of someone that seeks professional rebuilds rather than take on the task, buy speciality tools, get an education, buy the manuals, etc.
It's a time/cost issue and I understand that all too well.
My hat is off to the guy that takes it on for ONE or two gearboxes, but it's not cost/time effective.

The ignition system, the fuel supply system WORK TOGETHER...
Unless you FULLY understand how they interact with each other then you often misdiagnose running issues.
This is the most complex interaction you will have to deal with, and it's taken in bits & pieces WAY too often.

The fuel, spark timing, valve timing interaction is VERY complicated, and it's also the most misunderstood thing I see since everyone *Thinks* they have exactly the *Correct* information to start twisting on the distributor, turning screws on the carb, but don't have the most basic tools to test/find the actual issues.

While everyone says a 'Timing Light', a pencil & paper is mandatory.
If you can't ACCURATELY graph these...
1. Base ignition timing, from the crank, as in verify the valve timing is correct, the balancer isn't lying to you, the rotor phasing is correct, etc, you don't have a base line to start from.

EVERY 'TUNE UP' *Should* start with finding TDC of Compression Stroke (not exhaust stroke), and confirm you have compression so valve timing is working...

2. Manifold vacuum,
3. Exhaust temp,
4. Accelerator pump fuel supply,
5. Accurate engine RPM

And all that graphed in a useable form...

This will get you the BASIC ignition & fuel working together.
To get an operational graph, you will need to spec the distributor advance, learn to read plugs, and attach vacuum gauge to the engine so you can see what the ENGINE is doing under all conditions.

The 'Easy Button' is simply to restore the fuel/ignition to factory specifications,
Which again means you need a baseline 'Zero' to start from,
A distributor advance curve, so vacuum pump, vacuum gauge, accurate timing light, etc...
AND that pencil & paper...

'Trust' nothing, VERIFY EVERYTHING, prove anyone else's claims that's supplied parts or worked on the vehicle...
Something as simple as the rubber in the balancer giving up or a rotor with misaligned conductor tab can screw things WAY up...
VERIFY EVERYTHING!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks