what to do after getting that CJ home

what to do after getting that CJ home
Great post man. i just got my first jeep and the po was definitely a bad po. Pulled out two spark plugs for a lawnmower and a majority of the vacuum lines have drywall screws in them. But anyway you have some really good info here. I am not a gear head but i am pretty mechanically inclined and with the help of a lot of good advice on this site, I'm learning.
So any way thanks for putting this :dung: down, it helps up new fellas a lot!!

Mmm, let's see.

First thing I did after driving it home was drive it some more.
I'ld already checked the brakes and things before I even bought it.

Second thing was to move the drivers seat 6 inches to the right to center it up on the steering wheel. Seat position put you kinda catty-cornered and your feet wouldn't hit the pedals right and when you went to grab the shifter you ended up grabbing the 2/4 knob instead. That was what would be under the natural fall of your hand while driving.:eek:

Then drive it some more.

Fantastic post!!! I could put check marks next to many of those items from the drive home after buying my CJ. Now to get try tackling some of the repair work myself. This is my 3rd Jeep, but the first for trying much of the work myself. Wish me luck!!

And :chug:!

the next thing I would check is the AMC20 oil seals/ and two piece shafts. When I got my 82 the previous owner tightened up the Axle nuts too tight and crushed the bearings on both sides. they were replaced with a set of one piece alloy shafts. well worth the conversion, just make sure you paint the hub side of the shaft before you mount the wheel. it will rust if not painted.

I just brought my new 74 CJ5 home last night. It was 106 degrees outside, it wanders like a windsock, no top and the heater is stuck on high. I drove it 65 miles on Superswamper 33's and was exhausted where we got her home. I loved every second of it! This is a great post and I look forward to being a member of this forum. :chug:

Every time i hear that from a new CJ owner. I tell them to get a Tetnus buster shot. :)

Great post. I have been a jeep man for almost 10 years now. I just bought my first CJ7 (78)about three weeks ago. I have always had an late 90s to mid 2000 model jeeps. I wanted to try out a CJ7 this round. so far I LOVE IT! I'm going to start this check list this weekend. :)

Just to say I appreciate your message and it has helped me to get started on my CJ5. Just one note, You say this is for manly men and yet I am a 65 year old woman who fell in love with my CJ5 and is beginning to learn a lot. Thanks for all the information. Goldilocks

Very helpful information. Wish I would have found it before I bought my Jeep though..lol... Decided to do a complete teardown anyway. My two boys want to do a Military Style build up, so of course I can say no! Information on this thread is very good! Will recommend for future Jeepers!!

Great write up, thanks! I just bought my first CJ a week ago, and have been giving it the once over.

Awesome post. Great to start with and get the basics down, so as to not take on too much at first.

This is a great post.

JBPage 76. I am doing a frame up restore and am thinking of a military likeness.

Being a vet serving with the 1st cav I thought it would be nice to have my troop and sabers. The paint is a long way off though as I just picked up the unit and have a lot of work to do on it.

Thank you so much for this post. Just got my second jeep on Saturday. It seems a bit overwhelming right now,:eek: but I know that this site will help me SO much. Thank you for that.

This is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks a million!

I've seen a book for sale on rebuilds. Has anyone found these helpful? My first rebuild and I'm looking for some help putting a plan together. Not afraid to dive in but I'm one of those guys that actually reads the directions.

I would say get it. There are a few very experienced Jeep gurus who write those things and know what they are talking about. Who is the author?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks