Welder upgrade question

Welder upgrade question
Never heard or considered using a "wiper pad" on the wire. Is this something you invented? I'd like a little more information on this, sounds logical to me.

I still use the #2 rolls, but got an adaptor for a #10 roll. The #2 are good if you are trying different wire sizes to see what you like using. I'm not so sure I like 0.25 wire. It lays down a pretty lookin' bead, but virtually no penetration which is good on sheet metal, not so good on thicker metals.

Seeing the weld around The gas shroud is still a problem for me and welding down in a tight space will take some learning.

Anything new?
LG

I'm surprised at how much higher I need to set the thing. Where the 140 with .030 & 0.35 wire would weld 1/8" nicely on the "B" setting the 180 running 0.25 wire and gas needs "C" or "D". I suppose it's the thinner wire without flux core. With that being said, the 180 will put down a serious looking bead. Smooth and even. Used it just this morning to weld on a cam over latch on the tire carrier. Funny, I forgot to turn on the gas for my first tack weld. Looked a little odd, but wasn't a bad weld at all.

I got the thin wire to work on the thin metal of my dash and body. Next time I'm at the welding shop I'll get some 0.35 wire and maybe a spare bottle of gas. The one I've got is still almost full, but since the welding shop isn't open on the weekends it would be nice to have a spare.

My 140 has a problem with the fan motor, it buzzes and rattles sometimes. A buddy says they are easy to replace, so I'll do that before selling it. Even with the fan issue it was a very decent welder to have especially with it being a 110v unit.

Switched to 0.35 wire to work with 1/4" steel for a 8274 winch plate. Love this thing. The only bad part is the gas. To get started I bought a medium size bottle and went to work. Luckily it was right at the very end of the project that I noticed the welds becoming bubbly, yep the gas was used up. I suggest anybody welding with MIG gas to have two bottles (expensive at ~$175 to buy, ~$35 to refill or exchange). Exchanging the bottles would be no big deal, but the welding shop is closed on weekends. Very frustrating, especially since I took off a few days to do this project. Luckily the vast majority of the welding is done. If necessary the 140 with flux core wire is still available. ,,,, The point is, to save on frustration you really do need a spare bottle for emergencies.

Not a Tig, but I went with the Hobart 210 MPV and it'll tackle anything I throw at time. Best (tool) investment I've ever made. I've used .023 on 16 gauge sheet metal, and .035 on framework with no complaints. I don't have the spool gun so I cannot comment on that.

For those that are not aware, Miller and Hobart and owned by the same company; Illinois Tool Works. That is why alot of their parts are interchangable.

Lincoln sued Illinois Tools Works when they aquired Hobart, claiming it would create a monopoly for US built welders. It was determined that in order to own both brands, Miller would have to be marketed toward commercial use; and Hobart toward hobby/ residental use. And Hobart wouldn't make a machine larger than a 230 Mig.

In all honesty, you can't go wrong with any of the US "Big 3": Lincoln, Miller, Hobart as they're all great machines compared to the overseas "buzz boxes" from Asia.

Attachments

• Hobart 1.jpg
    Hobart 1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I’m still using my Lincoln 225 AC/DC Arc Welder that I bought 30-40 years ago! Always on he DC setting. Use it several times per week on 1/8” thick or larger. For the thinner stuff I use a Lincoln 125 mig. I’ve only been using wire feed for the last ten years or so but I like it.
If I buy a new one, it’s going to be a Miller that does everything.... but it’s $3,000.00! I’ll hold off & see what Santa brings.

Sometimes, my welder will sit for months unused. :eek:
Still-It has saved my 'tail-feathers' more times than any other tool I own. :cool:
:chug:
LG

Running a miller 211 as well...been very impressive for my projects..and some work fabrication too..

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks