wanting to install side step and protection in nerf bar area but have ?

wanting to install side step and protection in nerf bar area but have ?

j0114

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ7 Laredo Black
The Jeep was totally gone thru, 124k original miles on body,
New Crate engine and Trans, Weber Carb, Interior replaced back to stock, Dana 44 Rear, Dana 35 Front, 2.5 " Suspension Lift 1" body 33-12.50 Tires on Mickey Thompson Wheels, New Dupont Paint
Most of the new stuff attaches to the body as well between the fenders, and my body on my jeep is in great shape, so I am extremely hesitant to bolt a piece of metal against the body, but its not just half its almost every companies side steps,side protection has a piece that sits against the body, Im worried if i take it off the paint will be scratched or water will get between the body and the piece put on there and possibly cause rust, i had thought if i was going to install a pice that bolted to the body to have the body where the metal plate bolts to rhino lined,line x'd etc, but then im stuck with always having to run a side piece that attaches to the body,
I need some protection and i need it to have a step,
My jeep isnt tall, its just a 4in lift with 33's but my girl is about 5'3-5'4 so its a bid step for her to get in,
There is a small step there now that is similar to what came factory on tj's for example, but even that is right at the bottom of the rocker panel,
looking for suggestions and products

you could go with some nerf bars that bolt to the frame.

thanks the tomken was something like i wanted, warn makes some similar,
I just didnt want a normal nerf bar, but the tomken doesnt have a step its just square tube

im really looking for something like the CJ5 rock sliders
but i might end up going with the tomken and the hide a step for her side or something,
or just pick her up.
its just kinda funny after awhile, she thinks i m making a short joke on her but i finally was like if u was 5-8 I never would ave ask u out ,she s been fine with that for the last 10 years now,
this has been an issue with samurai;s Tj's etc

these are close ups taken at install, will take some more tomorrow in daylight.:cool:

I have a short woman too and these have worked for her.

thanks the tomken was something like i wanted, warn makes some similar,
I just didnt want a normal nerf bar, but the tomken doesnt have a step its just square tube

im really looking for something like the CJ5 rock sliders
but i might end up going with the tomken and the hide a step for her side or something,
or just pick her up.
its just kinda funny after awhile, she thinks i m making a short joke on her but i finally was like if u was 5-8 I never would ave ask u out ,she s been fine with that for the last 10 years now,
this has been an issue with samurai;s Tj's etc

I know what your saying j0114 and it's not just the paint issue. I know a lot of this aftermarket stuff is made more for looks than practicality, but why would anyone want to attach a structural accessory to a 7" wide piece of 18ga. sheetmetal (rocker panel), then use it as a lever (step) that twists that sheetmetal every time it's used.

Your better off getting a nerf bar that attaches to the frame that has a step built in. Qtec and 4WDInc carries some. Now you won't find those beefy nerf bars anymore that helps protect with side impacts (I've looked high and low) as they are all thin walled pipe, but for steps they work great. Heck nerf bars are the original sliders for Jeeps.

Check out the High Rock nerf bar/sliding step. The one I installed on my CJ5 is meant for a 7 so I had to customize but it should fit right on yours. Beefy protection and a perfect step that slides out and down. I don't even bother putting it the up position when wheeling, if I hit a rock, the step kicks up and in by itself.

You do have to bolt through the body but it looks good on the Jeep

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks