Transfer Case Issue? Only Two Positions

Transfer Case Issue? Only Two Positions
What I meant was it wasn't used in the CJ until 72, the 20 has been around since the early sixties and used in other jeep models.

Man, I don't know whose info I was looking at!!! Duh! At least I got the shift pattern right!

hahahaa

That’s helpful. I had talked to Novak about it. They suggested removal and sending to them for refurbishment. Which, I understand. There is a lot of slop in the linkage and I’m sure that is a major cause of the selection issues. Since, however, it slides SO nicely between 2H and 4H I am loath to change much.

Thank you all for your assistance.

I'm not surprised by Novacks response, that's what they do and do it well. If you have xtra cash, could be worth it or find another one and swap it in. However, first I would find out if indeed the xfer case is bad, disco the linkage and manually shift it into each selection. If all checks out, I would start looking for a twin stick setup, I twin sticked my 300 and love it, the only thing I can't select is front 2 wd only (I haven't removed the poppets.)

The wiring on these jeeps is temperamental, grounding is a big issue as is PO hack jobs plus 40 to 50 yr old wiring is pretty brittle. Painless and afew others make replacement harnesses but can be expensive. If you are good with automotive wiring and reading schematics you could rewire it yourself.

Last edited:
Extra money will go first go to a new wiring loom. 50 years of bodges. When I got it she warned me the rt frt turn sig did not work 9all the time.” What she didn’t say was the left backup light tried to fill the gap in order to get enough resistance to activate the flasher. Confusing to those following me, according to my wife, who followed me home.
I looked at the backup light and it was getting charged by the right turn/brake light wire from up front. Someone had put a bullet socket on a loose wire and connected it to the nearest fixture. There was also a loose wire from up front that went nowhere, just wrapped around the frame, but not close enough to get their attention. Why, I had no idea. I guessed someone had had a failure and decided to just feed the right front TS from the rear turn signal. I went ahead and connected it back to the rt brake/TS wire and voila, I had turn signals - of a sort. The right lights flashed but, for good measure the left turn signal did as well! So, let’s follow that right light’s wire. Sure enough, a wire came off that light and disappeared into a taped ball. Plastic tape gets Really hard after 50 years so I gave up and decided to follow the wire up from the back. Sure enough, that was easier BUT it didn’t go to that taped ball. Instead it went to the center pole of the junction lock which I knew from cleaning it that very morning fed the Parking lights, not the turn signals. So, I cut the non-parking light wire where it disappeared into the taped ball, disconnected the eyelet from the post, cut the jump wire from the rear, butted the two together and Everything Is Fine. (Except That light probably comes on when I hit the brakes.)

First for the photos:
Its easiest to download the tapatalk app on your phone then log into your CJ Forum account through there, you'll be able to upload photos to your post right through the app, super easy.

Did you every figure out the T-case issue? I just rebuilt my Dana 300 using Moses Ludel's "Jeep Re-Builder Manual". he has very clear instructions with good photos and I think the T-18 is covered as well.

If you have access to a press, you could do it in a weekend.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks