Transfer Case Issue? Only Two Positions

Transfer Case Issue? Only Two Positions

MichaelB

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1969 CJ5
Greetings and please bear with me, this is my first Jeep. Purchased today, a 1969 CJ5. Single lever for the transfer case but there seems to be only two active positions, all the way forward (two wheel “high”) and all the way back (four wheel low). There does not feel like there are any other positions, just smoothly goes from all the way forward to all the way back. PO just quite happily used those two settings but I’m afraid there are some bits missing. I have absolutely no experience with these issues so would appreciate any input.

First off welcome, if you have pics we would love to see them. Sounds like some of the linkage is missing or broken. The dana 18 had twin sticks on earlier jeeps so that maybe an option too. I would recommend getting repair manual for your year, those are invaluable for these jeeps.

Greetings and please bear with me, this is my first Jeep. Purchased today, a 1969 CJ5. Single lever for the transfer case but there seems to be only two active positions, all the way forward (two wheel “high”) and all the way back (four wheel low). There does not feel like there are any other positions, just smoothly goes from all the way forward to all the way back. PO just quite happily used those two settings but I’m afraid there are some bits missing. I have absolutely no experience with these issues so would appreciate any input.

Thanks, I’m trying to figure out this forum. The PO has spoken to someonecshe works with who has told her the 1969 had only a neutral, 2nhigh, 4 low, with the neutral right forward. This would be a late Willys so, possible?

In 69 Kaiser still owned Jeep it wasn't until 70 that AMC bought them. As far I can tell the Dana 18 which you should have has 4L 4H N 2H ( not in order) in those years, also twin sticks were common unless the jeep has the V6, then it was single stick. Check out jeeptech.com for more info.

Last edited:

I have photos of the linkage now but not able to post them with my iPad. Definitely a single lever but only one of the rods appears to be being pushed. Tried various positions but found no neutral or variation of speed at idle.

If i remember right ford had a dana 21 that was a single speed transfer case that was married to a t19

If the TC has 2 selector rods and only one is hooked up then there's your problem. If you can fill out your info on your jeep, that way we can help give more concise help. Also Novak Conversions has good pics and write ups on transfer cases and transmissions, should help you id your gear. On Jeepfan you can check your vin, will help in figuring out your setup when it left the factory.

Thank you. If someone could tell me how to share a photo that would be great. Pushing on the photo icon in the header above does nothing on my iPad.
Someone has disconnected the linkage and it appears they may have connected them incorrectly. Both rods are connected by a yoke at the end of which the ball from the shift lever sits. I found a photo online showing what appear to be the same pieces rearranged but, since it was in a thread about someone having shifting issues I am loath to try it. If someone could shoot me an email at michaelburwell at hot mail.com it might be obvious.
Thanks

Well I can't help on the pics as I am on an old machine and doesn't recognize most of the icons. I have been digging on the dana 18, the left rod selects 2wd and 4wd, the right rod selects high, neutral and low. In the single stick configuration you should have 2Hi, 4Hi, N, 4L in that order. So you are right about the alignment it's out to lunch. Go to tom oljeep collins site it's a FJ site but look under the small jeep tab and find the service manual for 53 to 71 CJ DJ and under section K there is grainy pic of the alignment pic for the single lever. If your looks similar this may help.
There is also a pics for twin sticks setups.

I am not familiar with the early CJ's, but if a twin stick set-up is available that would be the route I'd take and ditch the single stick.

River and Sand-
Thank you very, very much for that find. I’ve sketched my photo from below as from above like the grainy photo and it appears to be the correct linkage setup. The rods do not, however appear to move enough to effect a change.

At this point I would disassemble the linkage and manually shift the transfer case into the different selections to be sure the it's not the t-case. More that likely the linkage has to much slop, bushing or linkage ends are shot.
I wished the pic was better, unfortunately copies of copies dont translate well. You may want to invest in good copy of the FSM.

Last edited:
I have the same problem. I have an automatic (700r4 transmission). The gear stick comes up through the floor next to my transfer case shifter. The gear boot wraps around both shifters and doesn’t provide enough room to shift into 4-low. I don’t ever need it so I haven’t bothered to fix it. If I put a separate boot on both shifters mine would work.

Attachments

• 2F1B3828-5999-4484-93DC-921830518BD7.jpg
    2F1B3828-5999-4484-93DC-921830518BD7.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 35
I had my wife move the lever back and forth as much as she could and took a video. It really only activated one lever in that movement. I then went up myself and wiggled and cajoled a further step, a good solid clunk towards the back. Now I just had to determine what each step meant. I put a mark on the front propshaft, freed the hubs and moved the lever all the way forward. Jeep drove and propshaft did not turn. So, 2wd. Next step back, propshaft turned, 4wd. Next clunk back - no drive, no move. So Neutral. Drive in 2wd, switch to 4wd, no change in speed. So, a little research finds me a shift pattern sticker that goes:
2wH, 4wH, Neutral, 4wL.
So the only thing I’m missing is 4wd low and I’m pretty convinced it’s available. I talked to the PO yesterday and she said it was hard to find but that the jeep just crawled when it was active.
Also pretty sure this is a Dana 20.
Thanks for all the comments. I now have all the lights working (long interesting story there) and can go to the recycling center.
Next project will be a muffler. Right now it has a little stainless bullet but you cannot hear yourself think. I like quiet.

I had my wife move the lever back and forth as much as she could and took a video. It really only activated one lever in that movement. I then went up myself and wiggled and cajoled a further step, a good solid clunk towards the back. Now I just had to determine what each step meant. I put a mark on the front propshaft, freed the hubs and moved the lever all the way forward. Jeep drove and propshaft did not turn. So, 2wd. Next step back, propshaft turned, 4wd. Next clunk back - no drive, no move. So Neutral. Drive in 2wd, switch to 4wd, no change in speed. So, a little research finds me a shift pattern sticker that goes:
2wH, 4wH, Neutral, 4wL.
So the only thing I’m missing is 4wd low and I’m pretty convinced it’s available. I talked to the PO yesterday and she said it was hard to find but that the jeep just crawled when it was active.
Also pretty sure this is a Dana 20.
Thanks for all the comments. I now have all the lights working (long interesting story there) and can go to the recycling center.
Next project will be a muffler. Right now it has a little stainless bullet but you cannot hear yourself think. I like quiet.

Did you do this while it was on jackstands?

If it's a Dana 20, which is native to your year, then shift pattern (from front to back) is 4H-2H-N-4L

No, not on jack stands. I drove it back and forth in the carport. All the way forward did not allow the front propshaft to turn. I assumed, therefore I am dealing with:
Pattern 001
From here:
CJ5 Forum Decals

And they say Spicer 18 so I have no clue.

The Dana/Spicer 18 should be correct for your year, the 20 didn't come along until 1972. However that doesn't mean a PO may have swapped in a different xfer case. Good to hear have got it working. Novak Conversions site has some good pic of xfer cases, you should be able to compare and figure out which one you have.

Last edited:
The Dana/Spicer 18 should be correct for your year, the 20 didn't come along until 1972.

What I meant was it wasn't used in the CJ until 72, the 20 has been around since the early sixties and used in other jeep models.

That’s helpful. I had talked to Novak about it. They suggested removal and sending to them for refurbishment. Which, I understand. There is a lot of slop in the linkage and I’m sure that is a major cause of the selection issues. Since, however, it slides SO nicely between 2H and 4H I am loath to change much.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks