TCase T4 to Dana 300

Transfer case
TCase T4 to Dana 300

OldJarhead

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'83 CJ-7 Laredo
First off, hello to all. Not much of an internet guy but I have an issue that is giving me some headaches. '83 CJ7, 258, T4, Dana 300. Put in a new clutch this year and decided that it'd be easier to split the trans and transfer for removal. threw it all back together and, lo and behold, now had a leak with the rear tranny seal. Took the transfer off and installed a new seal, set it all the way in. Guess what, leaking again. took it apart and threw another one in. Flush this time. Guess what, leaks. Trying to figure out what the heck she wants. Any ideas? Thinking about just sealing between the two and filling the weep hole. Dry socket there and, it filling with ATF, shouldn't hurt anything I believe. Only thing that comes to mind would be a pressure build up but, I'm thinking, pressure should go back into either the trans or the transfer and blow out the vents. Definitely would love to get some input on this one. On the plus side, removing the transfer case is getting to be really easy for me.

Bit more info. Could I have overfilled and am just losing the excess? Filled her until she came out of the fill hole and, immediately, plugged her up.

Not sure if the fluid sits in the area where the bearing and seal are and the bearing is getting a "bath" or if the bearing gets lubed by splash.

TBH I don't know the solution but overfill and pressure forcing fluid out makes sense to a point. My vent hoses are up to my fire wall and I have the NP 435 and the 300 dana. Semper Fi brother and happy jeepin.

TBH I don't know the solution but overfill and pressure forcing fluid out makes sense to a point. My vent hoses are up to my fire wall and I have the NP 435 and the 300 dana. Semper Fi brother and happy jeepin.
Semper fi to you also my brother.

Looks as though there aren't too many folks out there that know the answer to this one but I do have an update. Decided that it had to be overfilled (although I still don't know how it'd get past the seal). Decided to throw some mileage at it. After about 10 miles I stopped at a friends for a couple beers. Came out and there were only a few drops on the street this time. Went out for about another 30 miles and parked her in the garage. Got up this morning expecting to see more and actually had none under it. I have to surmise that the seal is fine and that, by overfilling it just lost the excess. I think, if I ever have to change that trans fluid again that I'll take it until it starts coming out and then wait until it's done dripping before I put the plug in.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks