Stretching a frame.

Stretching a frame.

Petescj

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 258 / T-18 / Dana 300 31 in All Terrains.
1978 CJ-7 304 / TH 400 / Quadratrac 32 in Mud Terrains
Id like to extend a Cj frame to have a wheelbase of 111". Is this possible and / or safe? Id be having all the welding done by a proffesional and have seen them altered before. Id just like to have some info so I know how to go about planning this project. T.I.A

Pete

Its possible I have seen it done more than once on street rods. I hope you are up for the challange with adding more sheet metal to your body. (side note: a buddy at work wrecked his truck and the insurance company totaled his $25,000 ride because it needed welding done on its frame):eek:

ya know Ive seen this kit for the new ones and have jealous since I think that would look neat in a cj platforum:drool:

That would be cool to do to a CJ. I was looking at another site that a guy is doing that to a YJ frames and tubs. I am looking at stretching a 5 frame to fit a YJ tub.

I had been drooling over the "Gaucho" project but its moving along at a rate it will be sold before I have the funds. Im setting up my contingency plan. Heres a preview:
dscn4661.jpg
Its possible I have seen it done more than once on street rods. I hope you are up for the challange with adding more sheet metal to your body. (side note: a buddy at work wrecked his truck and the insurance company totaled his $25,000 ride because it needed welding done on its frame):eek:

Thats what Im looking at setting up on the stretched frame. I was going to buy a CJ7 and stretch the frame out , then use that cab and bed from Aqualu.

I had been drooling over the "Gaucho" project but its moving along at a rate it will be sold before I have the funds. Im setting up my contingency plan. Heres a preview:

dscn4661.jpg

I have been following that build also, I would love to do that some day, I might have to play the lottery, OH They dont have one in Alaska:drool::)

Yeah , Jeff stretched that frame also. But it was a CJ8 frame (103.5 wb ) that he stretched to 113. I was wondering if it made a difference streching one from a CJ7 ( 95 wb ) to what I want wich is 111 wb.

not sure you could get that much out of a CJ7 without some serious fab work. i did read a post about stretching the rear back 10 inches using dodge dakota springs. im thinking of doing my CJ5 back 10. let me know how it goes.

my CJ 5 had been stretched to 99" by using longer springs and moving rear hanger bracket all the way out back. Not sure what springs were used out back if I can contact the PO i'll ask him.

yeah i would like to know what he did to get 99 inches out of it. i would like to leave the front end alone so i dont get into steering issues.

Basically what that looks like to me is adding so and so inches in the middle and then adding so and so inches to the rear. Not sure of the exact measurements but that gives you the basic idea of what would have to be done. The 25 1/8 in the front is standard 76 & up Cj from measuring my Scrambler. Im thinking of just buying a CJ7 and tearing down , then chopping it up. I'll have the frame done by A to Z Fabrication here in Pa. The rest of it should be pretty straight forward.

I don't think you want to stretch by moving the axles. you want to piece the frame together in the middle, right:confused:

Right. I didnt go about asking it the right way. from the looks of the diagram Id be adding a section in the middle , then some additonal on the rear. All in all I think it'll make a pretty cool swap and a pretty decent wheeler. With a 111 in. wb and 35 in tires its gonna have to have everything tucked up underneath pretty well though. I'll see if I can find a pic of one already assembled.
I don't think you want to stretch by moving the axles. you want to piece the frame together in the middle, right:confused:

how much extra wheelbase could one get out of a CJ5 by just extending the rear and not splicing yhe frame in the middle?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom