Stereo options

Stereo options
My CJ is sans radio and speakers at the moment but you guys have me thinking. I've been eyeing this setup the past couple of days and may pull the trigger. I'm not a huge fan of the white but I can live with it and the speakers will be going behind the grills in the dash. USB input to plug in my iPhone for music AND charge, no CD player so no depth concerns, and waterproof as I like leaving the top off. I just think that white faceplate is going to look funky in the dash... What say you all? Any thoughts or concerns?

Amazon.com: Pyle Marine Radio Receiver, Speaker and Cable Package - PLMR18 AM/FM-MPX PLL Tuning Radio w/SD/MMC Memory Card Slot & USB - PLMR41W 4'' Dual Cone Waterproof Stereo Speaker System (Pair) - PLMRNT1 22" Weather Resistant Radio AM/FM

Search for pyle marine radio black and you'll find virtually the same kit in black.

Search for pyle marine radio black and you'll find virtually the same kit in black.

The only one I could find isn't weather-resistant like the white one or it has a CD player which i am not looking to have due to depth concerns.

*edit: further searching is coming up with some other options. I shall report back when I find something.

Last edited:
For the price, I like the white one as a full package. Know if the speakers will fit?

For the price, I like the white one as a full package. Know if the speakers will fit?

As stated above, you can find a similar one in black as a package with speakers. The unit itself isn't labelled as "waterproof" but from what I've read, they're pretty well resistant to water and the elements. Plus you can get a cover to put on it when you're parked outside and not using it. The speakers are waterproof though I'm not sure how well they'll fit. For that price I can make them work somewhere. Think I'm going to pull the trigger soon.

Amazon.com: Pyle Marine Radio Receiver and Speaker Package - PLMR87WB AM/FM-MPX IN-Dash Marine MP3 Player/Weatherband/USB & SD / MMC Card Function (Black) - PLMR51B 100 Watts 5.25'' 2 Way Black Marine Waterproof Speakers (Pair): Electronics

Almost finished my set up. I ended up making a console-what a PIA....had to do a lot of tubing work so it would sit over the cage bar that supports the seats. Based on recomendations from this thread I did get a marine stereo (Kenwood 335u), and, marine speakers (ughh-white, I am going to paint them black). Should have pics tomorrow...

I bought a sony radio this one here. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GS6...28425&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=19300126105&awdv=m

It can connect bluetooth and it has a front USB port and a front aux headphone port. I wired it into a set of kenwood 3 way component speakers in a speaker pod in front of the transmission. It is a good setup and loud enough to hear with no doors or top. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_663CEN...076185&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=6655931185&awdv=m

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Finally finished. Wow, was this a difficult fabrication. My seats are attached to a cage bar that runs left to right under the seats, I needed the Stereo / CB box to sit ON the floor. Therefore, I had to make the frame for the box in a manner to let the box sit on the floor and the cage bar to run through it, and, still be able to remove the box. Long story short-major PIA. I made the frame out of 1/2 square tubing, 18 gauge sheet metal, and, a piece of aluminum diamond plate I had laying around. I spot welded the 18 gauge to the frame I made. With the lid closed, you can stand on the diamond plate-no problem (already tested). I fit my Cobra CB and, the Kenwood marine 355U stereo (nice and smal. I have the CB cradled in 1/2 square tubing (you can't see it under the diamondplate) and resting on a padded bracket. Not too bad for a "fabricator wanna be"....

Looking good, but where's the cup holders? ;)

Ha!!! Meant to tell you. I have smitty built cupholders that go on the roll bar.

Ha!!! Meant to tell you. I have smitty built cupholders that go on the roll bar.
I gotta admit your pics make my Tuffy box look a little girly. I especially like the diamond plating. It's definitely got a Mad Max look to it! :)

Nice job with the box. I like how it keeps everything in in one place out of the elements and right at your fingertips too. I really like those seats you have in there too.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Thanks all. Also, regarding the sets-Summit cheap seats with good covers I had an upholstery shop make. They snap on and off for cleaning. Vinyl is heavy duty marine vinyl. Really tough and is supposed to be very mold resistant. Extra padding glued to the seat. I do like the way they keep me in the seat due to the high sides.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks