Stereo options

Stereo options

es335

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5
I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of options for a really small stereo. Ideally I woud like to use some type of MP3 that I would not have to install in the jeep-just hook it to speakers? Not sure if that is even possible. I am really tight on space and woudl prefer not to cut into the dash Not much space left!!). The glove box is where the locker wires/fuses are-so that is out. Speakers are no problem-plenty of small sets around. Any ideas would be great! I mainly want FM radio...

Well, there are bunch of small "stereos" on the market. I suggest Velcro and head phones................... Sorry, I know that this is no help. I've tried the stereo thing in a CJ and it was largely a waste of money and time. Basically the driver can't hear much unless the sound is turned way up, if you can hear it your are annoying everybody around. Honestly head phones aren't a bad option.

No pun intended but " I hear Ya!" With the top on I can hear a little better. Top off...not so much!

look at marine radios with out CD player. mine was cheap, water resistant, and it will do AM/FM and use an SD card. It was made by a company called Boss (not to be confused with Bose:D)

as for mounting, I put the stereo, the CB, a power plug and a few assorted switches in a console box between the seats. The two 5" speakers in the dash do a pretty good job even at 70. The Super Swampers I run off road kind of drown out the tunes if I am on pavement, but that does not happen a lot.:cool:

IO / Jzak-thank you. LOVE the box idea and that would enable me to move my CB AND mount the stereo! Thanks! (Looking at the Stereo Jzak recommends now. I do like the marine type as well...

Where did you get the steel box?

look at marine radios with out CD player. mine was cheap, water resistant, and it will do AM/FM and use an SD card. It was made by a company called Boss (not to be confused with Bose:D)

as for mounting, I put the stereo, the CB, a power plug and a few assorted switches in a console box between the seats. The two 5" speakers in the dash do a pretty good job even at 70. The Super Swampers I run off road kind of drown out the tunes if I am on pavement, but that does not happen a lot.:cool:

IO / Jzak-thank you. LOVE the box idea and that would enable me to move my CB AND mount the stereo! Thanks! (Looking at the Stereo Jzak recommends now. I do like the marine type as well...

IOPort51's Box looks Awesome! It looks custom fabricated.

I've got a Tuffy center console box from the previous owner. It's a nice unit, and you can mount the stereo inside it, but the price for these things will give you a nose bleed.

If you're on a budget, You may want to keep the stereo in a army-surplus ammo box behind your seat. You can get them online for $15 and they're water proof. Just a thought!

Good Luck!

Tuffy Box:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14026_XX_PG.htm

Last edited:
I will get something put together and update the post. Just ordered the stereo, speakers and antenna. Thanks for the help!

Where did you get the steel box?

It kind of evolved over the last 35 years. the ammo box works pretty well but it is a little bit narrow. You have a mig welder, pick up some 16 ga and some piano hinge and have at it.:D

I have started working on the next and hopefully last console box made of 20 ga. stainless steel with rounded "tank roll" seams and a locking hood pin lock. Now that one will be bad 4$$.

My first ’86 came with the radio delete. I located a factory AM/FM radio. They were made by Motorola so they were fairly good quality. I had a smaller amp that I placed in the glove box. Went to an electronic store and bought a ¼ inch jack that wired in between the radio and the amp that would cut the radio out when I jacked into it. I could plug in lots of different devices into the jack such as a weather radio, scanner, CD player, CB, etc. Finished off the install with some higher quality speakers in the dash. Nobody looked twice at ripping the radio off since it looked stock but it would pump out some good sound, and the amp was locked up in the glove box. This set-up worked great for me.

It kind of evolved over the last 35 years. the ammo box works pretty well but it is a little bit narrow. You have a mig welder, pick up some 16 ga and some piano hinge and have at it.:D

I have started working on the next and hopefully last console box made of 20 ga. stainless steel with rounded "tank roll" seams and a locking hood pin lock. Now that one will be bad behind.

Here is the plan. Picked up 10 ft of 1/2 square tubing to build the box frame. Have enough alum diamond plate to cover the box. Will weld the box (bottom) to the cage bar between the seats. I want mine strong enough to allow someone to stand on it to get in the back seat (my seats are bolted to the cage, no tilting sliding etc....)

Thanks IO!!!

Here is the plan. Picked up 10 ft of 1/2 square tubing to build the box frame. Have enough alum diamond plate to cover the box. Will weld the box (bottom) to the cage bar between the seats. I want mine strong enough to allow someone to stand on it to get in the back seat (my seats are bolted to the cage, no tilting sliding etc....)

Thanks IO!!!

Don't forget the cup holders! :) Good Luck, and be sure to post some pics!

Last edited:
I use my iphone a lot for GPS speed and trip distance. Saw some car audio amps with bluetooth integrated that didn't seem too costly. Was thinking about just doing that with the amp hidden and attached to back of the dash. Could then just play what I wanted off of the phone. With the bluetooth they auto-sync and connect once within range and powered.

I just ordered an iphone and plan to use one of the pathaway apps for off-road trails (Trail guiding at Bantam Jeep in Butler-June). I thought about using the Iphone for FM reception-so still may do that as well.

I just ordered an iphone and plan to use one of the pathaway apps for off-road trails (Trail guiding at Bantam Jeep in Butler-June). I thought about using the Iphone for FM reception-so still may do that as well.
Ah Iphones what can't they do how did we ever live without them?

I'm going with amp mounted under seat and RCA-3.5mm heap phone jack adapter to power my speakers. The blue tooth thing is great except it burns a battery up pretty quick. I've been looking for a jack that will allow me to plug the phone in and charge while I play the music.. Just no luck yet.

Ya, they're harder to come by. I quickly snatched up a second one of the car mounts I use. It suction cups to the windshield, charges during use and is a quick snap in type.

My CJ is sans radio and speakers at the moment but you guys have me thinking. I've been eyeing this setup the past couple of days and may pull the trigger. I'm not a huge fan of the white but I can live with it and the speakers will be going behind the grills in the dash. USB input to plug in my iPhone for music AND charge, no CD player so no depth concerns, and waterproof as I like leaving the top off. I just think that white faceplate is going to look funky in the dash... What say you all? Any thoughts or concerns?

Amazon.com: Pyle Marine Radio Receiver, Speaker and Cable Package - PLMR18 AM/FM-MPX PLL Tuning Radio w/SD/MMC Memory Card Slot & USB - PLMR41W 4'' Dual Cone Waterproof Stereo Speaker System (Pair) - PLMRNT1 22" Weather Resistant Radio AM/FM

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks