stereo decisions, decisions, decisions

stereo decisions, decisions, decisions

biggwrench

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 cj7 ,304
So my project is at the point it needs a stereo.
I have narrowed it down to the retro. Auto sound and the vintage vibes stereo. I suspect the retro auto sound is of higher quality ,but I love the look of the vintage vibes stereo.
Does anyone out there in jeep land have any experience with there stereos?

don't know about them but i went with a kenwood marine radio and west marine (8 inch i think) speakers so i don't have to worry if i leave the top off at night. i works very well.

For those too lazy to Google:

Retro Sound: CJ7

Vintagevibes: Jeep CJ

I like the looks of both, guess it's just a matter of what you want to spend. If you're only going with the stock size (5.25") dash speakers, I'd go for the lower priced radio. The Vintagevibes has a cool original look to it.

I like the vintage vibe look also. The Google searches I've done don't seem to fill me with confidence on either stereo. Every review seems to contradict the last.
I do plan on utilizing the factory holes and add 6×9 seekers in the back .

What ever you put in make sure it's got good sound. I find little more distracting than following a stereo equipped CJ with a poor quality sound system. If you are going to have a stereo in an open top jeep please make it a high quality sound system so the folks hear the vehicle that are going to be forced to listen to your music can at least enjoy it along with you. One thing though, Loud Rap music or is it noise, occasionally doesn't go over well in some groups. ....... sorry I'm getting old and bad. I've had radios in a jeep. Rarely could actually hear it and when I could it was far to loud for the neighbors. So, I basically quit trying. You'd probably be better off with a head phone type stereo, at least then you will be able to hear your music and hear it well.

Hedge hog I can assure you no rap, hip hop,or any music resembling such music shall be played in my jeep. There will be classic country and my kids music (kids bop) played. And if my wife is brave enough to drive it then whatever she listens to.
I'm trying to assemble quality equipment which leads back to head unit choice.

I never knew these were available... Thank you! I'm going for the $169 Vintage Vibes unit personally. That plus the Speedhut gauges and my labor and I'll have about $1500 in the dash alone. :eek: :biggun:

Is your Dash already cut for a radio? Honestly if it isn't I'd look for the smallest suitable radio I could find and mount it under the dash, in a Tuffy Consol (the best answer right there) or some other place. No sense in butchering yet another CJ dash for a radio. I wa talking with a neighbor who has a '73 CJ5. His jeep has all the good old original stuff, including an under dash air controls and radio housing. What interested me most though were the speakers. They are the size of an old transistor radio, showing my age, the size of the old clicker I-tune box but twice as thick, mounted on the face of the dash. With each having their own volume control. A very cool set-up, probably impossible to find today, but cool none the less.

does the stock radio only have the nobs and center control unit sticking through?? never seen a stock cj radio.

X2. Mines in a Tuffy stereo console:

IMG_0747_zpskku6beag.jpg
this is almost exactly my set up only difference is my radio has a cd port

Yeah my dash is stock . So the old 2 nob radio is required.
I do have an old tuffy console and I had a radio in there for years. I utilized the factory radio cutout for light switches.
Worked great.
But now I like to run without the console . (Makes taking the kids to the beach much easier.) So that's why I'm looking at these stereos.
So this morning I showed the stereos to the avionics guys at work and they all seem to think the retro auto sound is the way to go. They pointed out that Crutchfield carried them . Which is a good thing. And the vintage vibes claimed 300 watts which is obviously peak.and not a god way to rate a stereo. So the question was what else are they exaggerating about.

I HAD a retro sound radio. I think it was the Zuma model. It was great right up until it didn't work anymore. I only got a year out of it. Sent if back and I needed a whole replacement, out of my pocket. I did like it and it did look cool. It was also pretty fragile. The knobs felt like they could snap off without much force. So, I now don't have a radio. I may try the vintage vibs version . . . .

I have the Retrosound unit. Sounds fine to me. Has an AUX input in the front for an I-phone.

Steve 1973 did you have any issues with the nobs?

They weren't really an issue, they just felt delicate to me. The real issue was that, after I came back from being away for 6 months, I jump in my Jeep and the radio is dead. Display was all messed up, where all the pixels only gray out, and nothing else happened. Bummer. I really liked it when it worked. Retro Sound said it was shot, no water damage at all, and that it would be cheaper to buy new than fix.

I installed the 200 watt AM/FM unit {pictured about half way down the web age} from VintageVibes. I contacted them with a couple of questions and they were very responsive and helpful. I am very happy with the unit. I replaced the old factory radio and had not issues with install.

Good luck with your updated system.

I like the Vintage Vibe 200W set as well. Good price if it's built well enough. I like that it is a mid-price point between the Retro sound units and the too-low to be worth anything PYLE PLR22MPF (http://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PLR22MPF...p/B002E9GUBI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8)

Was hoping to get this unit, along with some crappy speakers, throw in some rap, turn it up to the point of major distortion and make a drive past Hedgehog's house.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks