Steering Steering shaft alignment

Steering Steering shaft alignment

JimsCJ5

Active Jeeper
Gold Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5 Renegade 258, t-18 pretty much stock except for a later model aluminum intake manifold and Gronk 2150.
Replaced the TS switch recently. When I put the steering wheel and lock plate back together I oriented the shaft with the mark at 12:00. The lock plate had the same mark and went back in the same way. With the steering wheel back on the wheel is 90 degrees off which is annoying to say the least. Before I go down to the alignment shop I wanted to make sure the orientation marks were correct.
Thanks,
Jim

forget the marks. if the wheels are straight just pull off the steering wheel it self and align it so it is also straight
your just a few teeth off. more than likely the shaft spun when you had everything apart

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Here is a picture of what I mean. I can't just pull the wheel off and reposition it since the hole for the horn has to align to the horn button. I might be able to pull the stop plate off again and reposition the plate but will my turn signals still cancel? Right now they don't.

Attachments

• IMG_2059.JPG
    IMG_2059.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 12
Here is a picture of what I mean. I can't just pull the wheel off and reposition it since the hole for the horn has to align to the horn button. I might be able to pull the stop plate off again and reposition the plate but will my turn signals still cancel? Right now they don't.
Will appreciate any update about the steering shaft alignment. My friend got this incoming CJ project and it needs some TLC including the steering. We'll just finish installing the headache rack and tonneau covers on the truck before we can clear the garage and take her in. TIA

When I got my CJ7 the steering wheel was 180 degrees off. Despite loosening all the joints and connections and removing the steering wheel as you have, I discovered that the entire setup is indexed within a few splines at each joint- all the way to the pitman arm. I came to the conclusion that the replacement steering box that PO installed is either built wrong or for a different car.

Ultimately I purchased a Borgeson steering shaft which has set screws instead of clamps/bolts. I needed a new shaft anyway, and this allowed me to turn the steering wheel 180 degrees.

I ended up removing the stop plate (which requires the special GM tool which can be borrowed at FLAPS) and rotating the plate so the line was straight up. The plastic horn bushing can also be rotated so everything aligns. It seems to work all right that way but I have not driven it yet to see if the turn signals cancel the way they should. I think the correct way to do this is to align the marks and have the wheels aligned to straighten the steering wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_2060.JPG
    IMG_2060.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 5
The component used to align and fine tune the steering wheel is the turn buckle at the drag link. Use it!

Definitely no.

Do not confuse the drag link with the tie rod.

A true and complete steering alignment also includes turn signal cancellation and lock to lock symmetry. And last but not least steering limitation setpoints. This is not complicated to accomplish if you take time and understand the basics of the steering mechanism.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks