Spark Plug change on AMC 258 w/ A/C bracket?

Spark Plug change on AMC 258 w/ A/C bracket?

smbundy13

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7, 258 I6, SR4, D300. Power steering, power brakes. Stock axles stock susp. Gentle rehab in progress.
I am getting going on a new jeep that I am getting for some soccer lessons.. I have known the owner of the jeep my entire life. it has been a minute since it was last registered for on-road (1992).. it has been a deer lease vehicle for the majority of time but is still (seemingly) in good shape.

details - 1980 CJ7, 258 I6, SR4 trans (I think), D300 stock suspension

I am trying to get it back running as it has been sitting for at least a year.

here is my question, it looks like this thing had A/C originally but the compressor is long gone. The bracket is still on the engine and currently in the way of the #1 spark plug.

how do yall get the #1 plug out with the bracket in the way? do I need to loosen the bracket to allow it to shift a little? I cant tell if its a two piece bracket or not. the Alternator is mounted to the bottomside of the A/C bracket.

any help yall could provide is much appreciated. I know this is an easy question but I just havent had time to tinker with it.
anyways, here are some pictures.
in my barn
7176538A-226F-4C13-904E-C982A99FDFE1_zps2nri1uxw.png

after we got it into my unorganized shop
EB9BD47C-B1F3-4F5E-859F-83397B68DBC4_zpsokrjfe68.png

Engine Bay pic
39FD267D-E15B-40E6-B8AE-AB24D00D95B5_zps1f9ktlc1.png

the offending bracket.
65E0ED4C-7E1B-4E15-9DE9-139F2CA2F4BB_zps8voj12p1.png

again, thanks for the info.

details - 1980 CJ7, 258 I6, SR4 trans (I think), D300 stock suspension
You have a T176 trans much better then the sr4.

It's been awhile since I owned a 258 with ac, why not just remove the bracket if your not going with a new ac unit?

You have a T176 trans much better then the sr4.

It's been awhile since I owned a 258 with ac, why not just remove the bracket if your not going with a new ac unit?

currently, leaving the bracket for ease of use..

how do you know I have the 176? the shift pattern on the knob is 4 speed with reverse left and up. I read that is an SR4.. but i will be happy to have a 176!

That does not look like an oem mount, So like Posi stated you should probably remove it. Install some Autolite 985 spark plugs.

That does not look like an oem mount, So like Posi stated you should probably remove it. Install some Autolite 985 spark plugs.

I was thinking about doing the Team Rush upgrade.. since I am changing plugs and distrib (probably)

currently, leaving the bracket for ease of use..

how do you know I have the 176? the shift pattern on the knob is 4 speed with reverse left and up. I read that is an SR4.. but i will be happy to have a 176!
It's not a sr4, they came with a curved cane.
Don't go by the shift knob go thru the gears.
Could be another replacement as well.
The sr4 and T76 came stock on your 80

It's not a sr4, they came with a curved cane.
Don't go by the shift knob go thru the gears.
Could be another replacement as well.
The sr4 and T76 came stock on your 80

roger that.. will look into it. probably dropping the tank this weekend.. will run gears to see what the pattern is. whats the gear pattern for a T176? reverse down and right?

Correct, H pattern reverse over and down.

Correct, over and down.

thanks very much.

IIRC, my shifter is curved and not straight but will take a picture to verify with everyone.

thanks again.

after we got it into my unorganized shop
EB9BD47C-B1F3-4F5E-859F-83397B68DBC4_zpsokrjfe68.png

Looking at the cane in this pic it looked straight me, but after taking a closer look I believe your correct its a sr4. I would still double check the shift pattern. Sorry for the confusion.

Looking at the cane in this pic it looked straight me, but after taking a closer look I believe your correct its a sr4. I would still double check the shift pattern. Sorry for the confusion.

no worries.

I have an 84 with the 258 and factory air still actively installed. The bracket that you have pictured does not match anything I see under my hood. I have no problem getting to that first plug. I would conclude that the bracket can be removed without any harm. I don't see any reason for it being there. Just my $.02 :)

I have an 84 with the 258 and factory air still actively installed. The bracket that you have pictured does not match anything I see under my hood. I have no problem getting to that first plug. I would conclude that the bracket can be removed without any harm. I don't see any reason for it being there. Just my $.02 :)

I will look at it tonight. Might try to take it loose to see what happens...
will also take a better picture of my trans shifter but I am 99% sure I dont have a T176..

This is what most people think of when they talk about A/C brackets.

$_1.jpg

The compressor was mounted on top and the alternator on the bottom. This is a York A/C compressor:

s-l225.jpg

There are a lot of home made brackets out there. All you needed was a flat surface to bolt the compressor to. Yours looks home made so that the compressor was mounted straight up and down instead of on it's side like it would be with the other cast bracket. York recommended that their compressors be mounted this way since it had it's own oil supply. That way the two pistons and the crankshaft stayed well lubricated. This is why these compressors make good air compressors in Jeeps for ties and tools. All of the now a days A/C compressors use oil mixed with the Freon for lubrication.

Got out to the shop today and was able to drop the tank and do some other odds and ends. The more I get in and under this thing the happier I get with the condition. Not really any rust to speak of or any other damage.

Probably going to buy a new tank as mine had some serious rusty water come out of it and the bottom looks like it is getting thin with some rust. Any recommendations for a tank? Should I get another metal one or go with a poly one?

Also, took a pic of my shifter and I am certain I don't have a t176.
709789CA-291F-4A85-94D2-7FBB9E9DDBD3_zpsvqmyewcv.png

That is a sr4 cane.

IF you can get a spark plug socket in place on this plug. Try a U-joint in the socket. Best to use 3/8" drive here.
If you can't get a socket on the plug. Remove the bracket and R&R the plug. Then notch this bracket to give you the clearance needed. I never seen a bracket like that one. :confused:
:chug:

LG

IF you can get a spark plug socket in place on this plug. Try a U-joint in the socket. Best to use 3/8" drive here.
If you can't get a socket on the plug. Remove the bracket and R&R the plug. Then notch this bracket to give you the clearance needed. I never seen a bracket like that one. :confused:
:chug:

LG

Forgot to mention. Took the bracket off. I think I am going to notch the bracket and reinstall it.

I am thinking about removing the air pump and what not like that to clean up the engine a little bit.

If you don't have to worry about SMOG tests-Go for it.
Make sure you plug the ports on the intake manifold.
LG

If you don't have to worry about SMOG tests-Go for it.
Make sure you plug the ports on the intake manifold.
LG

Thanks. My brother in law has an 81 scrambler and he has removed a lot of that stuff. I will get him to help with me the clean up of the enginebay.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks