Show your rig!

Show your rig!

CJ

Admin
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'72 CJ5, 401, T18, D20, D44, D30
'82 CJ8, 258, D300, AMC20, D30
Here you all go, a thread to show off your rig or even better - start your own!

Once I can get mine pieced together enough to roll it out of the garage...

:madjeep:

Have fun!

1971 Crusher/Toylet/Yoda...:D

Started life as a stocker...bought the thing in 1973 (I think I paid $3,000). Built as a 'All A Rounder' to handle anything....Rubicon, Pismo, Glamis, etc. Eventually stuffed a 327 Chevy into it and further down the road, a Turbo 400 auto (Wilcap helped me machine the adapter for this). Power steering came from some junk yard Chevy as did the rear disc brakes (front end I replaced with a 76 or 77 FJ40 unit to get the disc's up there). At the time, there were no avaliable posi units for the FJ. Downey Off Road was working on a design and they explained to me what it entailed so I went ahead and made up one for myself...posi came out of a wreaked Corvette. Rancho Suspension was new (previously Rancho Jeep) and they mocked up the springs on all 4 corners (probably :dung: compared to what they have today). Stuffed under the rear is a old Hickey Sidewinder winch (at the time, strongest one out there...9,000 pull). The entire front end is a fiberglass unit....tilts forward. Portions of the vehicle got written up in Peterson's Off Road Magazine (are they still around?) as did a couple other vehicles I built (everything was pretty simple back then...nothing like the really neat stuff they have today).

Attachments

• Yoda3.jpg
    Yoda3.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Yoda 1.jpg
    Yoda 1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 204
Very nice indeed Sham. :notworthy: Yep - back then there wasn't nearly the addons for vehicles that there is now.

I to grafted in a Chevy power steering box from a Chevelle found in a junk yard. Had to make a special pitman arm as one wasn't available at the time. Not an issue now.

Looks like you spent many hours on that Toyoder... Still drive it? Is it still around?

It's in mothballs right now...lost interest when I moved to NC and discovered a serious lack of challenging 4x4 trails. Heck..I live next to the biggest sand dune on the east coast (no vehicles allowed) and it's a puny bump compared to Pismo or Glamis stuff. No Rubicans or Fresno rock crawls out this way either.
The Chevy steering proved to be a serious pain in the butt. I had installed a non-power unit shortly after I bought the vehicle and then later decided to upgrade to power. Unfortunately my motor mounts sat right where the power steering pump would usually go. The heads on my motor were not drilled and tapped for a pump (plus I had headers) so it was a matter of welding up a special bracket. Alignment for the belt proved to be extremely frustrating. Later found some special bracket (after all my work) that adapted a mounting location to the header intake flange.:mad:
Anyway, back then..the older days..we had a place called 'Pick Your Parts'...huge junk yard...cost a couple bucks to enter and you were allowed to carry your tools in with you. Pretty neat way to spend an afternoon...walking around and seeing what stuff might be used to upgrade the Crusier. For some reason, I saw a huge Dodge power brake booster (off of a 1 ton truck)...decided that bigger was better and that thing made it's way on to the Toyota.

Anyway, back then..the older days..we had a place called 'Pick Your Parts'...huge junk yard...cost a couple bucks to enter and you were allowed to carry your tools in with you. Pretty neat way to spend an afternoon...walking around and seeing what stuff might be used to upgrade the Crusier. For some reason, I saw a huge Dodge power brake booster (off of a 1 ton truck)...decided that bigger was better and that thing made it's way on to the Toyota.
Sorry about the mothballs, I do hope some day you take it outside again and enjoy it. I know NC isn't CA but sometimes just working on it can be enjoyable.

I loved the heck out of our pick yards, like you I spent many hours and many days just looking through the vehicles. I remember one of my best finds was a complete 150 Johnson outboard V4 in the trunk of a Nova. It was completely disassembled but all there though. They let me take it home for 5 bucks! I then proceeded to learn how to rebuild out board engines the hard way. It did end up running though... Not sure what ever happened to that thing though...

Sigh... Man do I miss those old yards! :(

This is what 15 years of evolution have turned into

Attachments

• Duffy's wedding (136).jpg
    Duffy's wedding (136).jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 122
  • Duffy's wedding (141).jpg
    Duffy's wedding (141).jpg
    100 KB · Views: 108
  • 1922 model T (4).jpg
    1922 model T (4).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Duffy's wedding (207).jpg
    Duffy's wedding (207).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 103
This is what 15 years of evolution have turned into
Great looking rig ya have there! 15 years huh? I can relate to that, though mine hasn't seen paint since about 1982... :) I like the color on the Rubicon... :)

What is the other vehicle?

It is a 1922 Model T Hackster that my best friends grandfather delivered milk in until 1960. Early in 1960 he parked it in the barn on a concrete floor and it has sat until the day these pics were taken. We tore it all the way down to the frame which is currently out for sandblasting. It should be back in a few weeks and we are trying to be finished with the restore by mid May because his family has a big family picnic every year and some of those aunts are fading fast. It is one of the most complete origionals left.

That thing looks great! I still remember our milk man deliveries when I was growing up, not in a vehicle like that though! Be sure and keep us updated with pics and such while it is being restored!

Sounds like a great project. Have you ever tried walnut shells instead of sand for blasting? The last frame we did it worked great and we didn't have to fight with the grit pouring out of the seams every time we moved the frame.

it is being sent out for gritblast. Neither of us has the capability because of size restrictions.

Here is my new victim. It is a ’76 CJ5 body and frame with a ’79 straight 6 motor. It consists of about 30% bondo 40% rust and the other 30% is a decent motor , new rims and donor tires. We plan to rebuild the whole thing. I just finished installing a Weber carb and new wheels with tires I got form a friend. Next is to fix the brakes and e-brake. After that starts the frame repairs, rewire the electrical, new tub and fenders, seats and hopefully a hardtop. Serious mods will be coming in the future but not too soon. For now it will be a fishing, hunting and camping rig. In the back is the wife's '00 Grand. When we buy her a new ride I get that and it will get a lift and bigger tires.

first_step_134871.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my new victim. It is a ’76 CJ5 body and frame with a ’79 straight 6 motor. It consists of about 30% bondo 40% rust and the other 30% is a decent motor , new rims and donor tires. We plan to rebuild the whole thing. I just finished installing a Weber carb and new wheels with tires I got form a friend. Next is to fix the brakes and e-brake. After that starts the frame repairs, rewire the electrical, new tub and fenders, seats and hopefully a hardtop. Serious mods will be coming in the future but not too soon. For now it will be a fishing, hunting and camping rig. In the back is the wife's '00 Grand. When we buy her a new ride I get that and it will get a lift and bigger tires.

Excellent plan! The 258 is a fantastic engine, probably one of the most bullet proof I6's ever designed. Can't wait to see a build thread on it. I look forward to tagging along. :popcorn:

That's some great articulation, what the heck is a rock doing in the middle of???

its actually on a rocky beach that is one of the first rocks you come up on before the climbing really starts battery died in camera after that picture
Im going to go back out just to snap some pics and do some panning for gold

its actually on a rocky beach that is one of the first rocks you come up on before the climbing really starts battery died in camera after that picture
Im going to go back out just to snap some pics and do some panning for gold
Good luck! Hope you find some. BTW - Can you see Russia from where you live? :D :D

Good luck! Hope you find some. BTW - Can you see Russia from where you live? :D :D

No im just about in the center of the state but on the south central coast

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom