Misc. Rims size and tires

Misc. Rims size and tires

Bert_

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 cj5, 258, 3spd
My CJ5 has 15x8 rims and is running 235/75/15's. No desire for bigger tires right now. It will stay close to stock.

At lower tire pressure the sidewalls are very exposed and I've already put a gash in one.

Should I be looking at a narrower rim?

Attachments

• 16435640950893693952539238802403.jpg
    16435640950893693952539238802403.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 17
Nobody?

I'm thinking I'll try to find some used steel 15x6 rims.

A lot of people run 15 X 7. Not really sure about 15 X 6 off hand. Are your 15 X 8 original ?

Original rims as far as I can tell. They are white spoke wagon wheels. I'm almost positive they are 15x8.

Main reason I'm thinking of a change is to protect the sidewall.

If they are original they should have that stamped on the backside. What year is your CJ ?

'78 CJ5

If they are stamped I didn't find it. I even pulled one wheel off.

Attachments

• KIMG1578.JPG
    KIMG1578.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 7
  • KIMG1580.JPG
    KIMG1580.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 7
  • KIMG1581.JPG
    KIMG1581.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 7
They don't look like Jeep original

I was just assuming they were but could have easily been changed. Whole jeep is pretty stock with about 45,000 miles.

Really doesn't make a lot of difference either way. I'll keep these rims even if I do decide to try some narrower ones. I was just hoping for some feedback whether a narrower rim would be better if I'm going to be running low tire pressure.

Give me a few minutes and I will put up a couple pictures

Check out the size where the dark area is. 15 X 7 Also is says made in Canada with a date. Where my finger is it is angled going to the open area. Maybe 45 degrees and yours maybe 90 image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

78 CJ5 should be 15x8 stock but yours look to be after market. With the smaller tire Id look for a 15x7 in wheel. The 15x6 wheels like the ones I have on my bantam trailer would probably work as well but they are quite skinny in my opinion.

I thought about 15x7 but didn't know if that would be worthwhile for 1" of difference. I want to get the sidewall tucked in.

Guess it depends what I can find for used rims.

Mine came with your size tire and 7 inch wheel new.

I'd like to be able to run 10-12 psi on the tires. Right now 15 is about as low as I'm comfortable with. Otherwise it's scuffing the sidewalls and I worry about loosing a bead. I already punctured one sidewall.

Is there really any downside to a 6" vs a 7" rim?

The tyre tread ideally should as wide or wider than the rim.

Let me edit, “should be as wide or”.

Let me add that deflating tyres will, as you already know, increase chances of unseating the bead and sidewalls will be more vulnerable. Using a wider tread helps.

Well I'm sure this will stir up some opinions...

Here's the test subject, asked for a steel rim for an 80's f150. $10 later I had something to experiment with. I had to drill out the center hole to clear the hub and the caliper barely clears. Pretty sure the rim is 15x5 1/2, maybe 15x6. I'd have to dismount the tire to measure accurately.

Picture is with 12psi in the tire. Tire is the same 235/75/15. Sidewall is much safer. I like the way it looks.

Attachments

• KIMG1604.JPG
    KIMG1604.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 8
  • KIMG1603.JPG
    KIMG1603.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
You gonna sand blast and paint ?

You gonna sand blast and paint ?
I don't know for sure if I'm even using it. Really need to make sure the caliper won't ever rub. At this point it's an experiment

I'm surprised the first post wasn't somebody telling me how awful it is to drill and grind out part of a rim. I'm still trying to decide myself.

If I use it, yes it will get cleaned up and painted.

Last edited:
A machine shop can do that operation for you. And, if you are careful and specify the correct bore size, you will end up with desirable hub centric wheels. Depends on your budget. I paid 25 bucks each wheel a while back.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks