Build Thread Reviving "The Bruise" thread

Build Thread Reviving "The Bruise" thread
Make up your mind yet? :laugh: Soon we'll all have this great healthcare plan. Id get the lift. :rolleyes:

Last December I had an abscessed tooth, a root canal gone bad. The infection did significant damage to my heart that I have yet to recover from. It almost canceled my trolley pass. A tooth ach CAN KILL YOU! Don’t jack with this get it taken care of ASAP.:eek:

Boy you have a lot of rust excellent post good luck:chug:

So...

It's been a while & I'm getting back on track with working on The Bruise.
I had a tooth infection that messed me up for a while then work took me out to Salt Lake City a bunch (beautiful place btw). With a cold winter here in Missouri, no insulation in the garage or any help it was hard to motivate myself. I'm gonna see where my tiny jeep fund will take me.

My plans have changed a bit or have been re-organized. Instead of doing the gear swap straight out, I'm just gonna have a new bearing pressed on and reinstall the differential. Not before I weld the spider gears for practice though:). That way, I can do the gear swap early fall after I've had a few months of getting reaquainted with a running cj.

I did figure out what caused the bearing to go out on the ring gear side. The PO installed the bearing cap upside down, which puts the non beveled holding the bearing cup. I don't know how they cranked it down but they did. The case was really worn down where it contacted the bearing cap but it should be ok (maybe).

Ring gear doesn't look too bad. Some knicks and wear spots no teeth missing. Still usable.

badrp001.jpg

The pinion, on the other hand, is pretty thrashed. As it spun against a shifted ring gear (from the missing bearing) many gouges appeared. It looks like this all the way around the pinion.

badpinion.jpg

I'm gonna see if it still holds up after installation.

Here is my planned welding pattern for the spider gears. My question is: What should I do with the thrust block? Do I need to push it to a certain side then weld it or leave it free floating?

tobewelded.jpg

If anyone has any experience welding spider gears any advice would be taken. I'm gonna weld this sucka tomorrow evening:punk:

Welcome back;
that is chewed up a bit, did you get all the extra parts out of the axle?
Just for grins, what will you be welding your gears with?(rod) Do you plan to pre heat?

So...

It's been a while & I'm getting back on track with working on The Bruise.
I had a tooth infection that messed me up for a while then work took me out to Salt Lake City a bunch (beautiful place btw). With a cold winter here in Missouri, no insulation in the garage or any help it was hard to motivate myself. I'm gonna see where my tiny jeep fund will take me.

My plans have changed a bit or have been re-organized. Instead of doing the gear swap straight out, I'm just gonna have a new bearing pressed on and reinstall the differential. Not before I weld the spider gears for practice though:). That way, I can do the gear swap early fall after I've had a few months of getting reaquainted with a running cj.

I did figure out what caused the bearing to go out on the ring gear side. The PO installed the bearing cap upside down, which puts the non beveled holding the bearing cup. I don't know how they cranked it down but they did. The case was really worn down where it contacted the bearing cap but it should be ok (maybe).

Ring gear doesn't look too bad. Some knicks and wear spots no teeth missing. Still usable.

badrp001.jpg

The pinion, on the other hand, is pretty thrashed. As it spun against a shifted ring gear (from the missing bearing) many gouges appeared. It looks like this all the way around the pinion.

badpinion.jpg

I'm gonna see if it still holds up after installation.

Here is my planned welding pattern for the spider gears. My question is: What should I do with the thrust block? Do I need to push it to a certain side then weld it or leave it free floating?

tobewelded.jpg

If anyone has any experience welding spider gears any advice would be taken. I'm gonna weld this sucka tomorrow evening:punk:

Thanks.

Yes I did get all parts off of the spare axles. I still have to tear into the front axle, but everything is out of the back axle.

I'm gonna weld it up with my Hobart 180 Handler (mig). Not gonna heat it up either. We'll see how it goes...

That's why I'm gonna weld it up and test it, if (when) the weld breaks then I've got the good set.:)

I give it to the end of the driveway. if you go slowly.:cool:

Thanks.

Yes I did get all parts off of the spare axles. I still have to tear into the front axle, but everything is out of the back axle.

I'm gonna weld it up with my Hobart 180 Handler (mig). Not gonna heat it up either. We'll see how it goes...

That's why I'm gonna weld it up and test it, if (when) the weld breaks then I've got the good set.:)

No way. That 220 is eating right through those gears. If anything fails it will be the pinion.

No way. That 220 is eating right through those gears. If anything fails it will be the pinion.

OK but I want pictures of the carnage when it comes un put together.:eek:

seriously, I hope it works out for you. :cool:

The added stress from the locked gears will probably spell doom for the pinion. But I gotta learn the hard way:) I'll stick with my 31's until I do the gear swap in the fall & mainly light trails & cruising.

Pics will for sure be posted when or if ther is carnage.

Last December I had an abscessed tooth, a root canal gone bad. The infection did significant damage to my heart that I have yet to recover from. It almost canceled my trolley pass. A tooth ach CAN KILL YOU! Don’t jack with this get it taken care of ASAP.:eek:
he ain't kiddin i had the same thing happen to me in 05 i spent 10 days in the hosp. then 6 wks on a pic line dumping antibiotics directly into my heart. the infection caused a growth on one of my heart valves i thought i was gonna die at 22. i got the infection from dentist office while i was having a broken tooth surgically removed. don't f around with that :dung: it'll get you

great thread by the way, lookin good

Awesome thread!!! i hope to learn how to weld here soon dads a welder gonna see if he will teach me this summer. you make me want to work on my jeep that much more! i cant wait to move in to my new place with a garage!!! so excited. Im defiantly subscribing to this one!:drool:

That's why I was out for a bit. I got the tooth fixed before everything got too bad, but recently my heart feels like it has a murmer every once in a while. I need to get checked out.

I just thought I would share these with you. This is what carnage will look like.:laugh:

:chug:

That's a failed case. Not due to welded spider gears :cool: Could happen to anyone.

Some pics of the first 2 rounds of welding. Still have to flip it over and weld the other side but I am happy with how it's turning out.

weldeddif002.jpg

Then I cut this piece out to fill some of the space.

weldeddif003.jpg

After round 2. Looking much better

weldeddif005.jpg

Should I weld the thrust block? I was careful not to yet and it still moves freely. What is the purpose of a thrust block? Maybe that will help me decide.

Just don't do what this guy did....
2059412130104836601S425x425Q85.jpg

Lincoln locker gone bad

Don't worry, no ring & pinions were harmed in the making of this thread.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom